Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Small round knives

Re: Small round knives 1 year 3 weeks ago #11910

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
tuffybraithwaite wrote:
last week i had a somewhat similar type knife to sharpen, but it was un-mountable in the WE, so i just used the 600 to 1000 diamond paddles on it, but it was chisel grind job.

That Knife is an Ulu a knife originally used by Inuit woman for food prep and scraping skins.

I have a couple of them. Very useful for dicing and chopping vegetables and as a general purpose knife.

www.the-knife-connection.com/knife-blade-types.html

An Ulu (Inuit woman's knife) knife is a sharpened segment of a circle. This blade type has no point, and has a handle in the middle. It is good for scraping, and sometimes chopping. It is the strongest knife shape. The semi-circular version appears elsewhere in the world and is called a head knife. It is used in leatherworking both to scrape down leather (reducing thickness), and to make precise, rolling cuts for shapes other than straight lines.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulu
An ulu (Inuktitut syllabics: á“—, plural: uluit, English: "woman's knife"[1]) is an all-purpose knife traditionally used by Eskimo women, both Yupik and Inuit. It is utilized in applications as diverse as skinning and cleaning animals, cutting a child's hair, cutting food and, if necessary, trimming blocks of snow and ice used to build an igloo.

Leo's version might be what this quote calls a head knife.

Just a bit of data to make it easier to talk about..
:)
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: EamonMcGowan

Re: Small round knives 1 year 3 weeks ago #11912

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 226
`That knife looks like one used for cutting herbs often on a purpose made dished chopping board ; the geometry of the round knife is such that when using the point it is easy to cut a curve or when cutting straight the cut is started with the edge and as the cut progresses the knife is rolled towards the centre or as the centre is in line with the grip a lot of pressure can be used to cut though thick layers of leather they are great knives to use.

Re: Small round knives 1 year 3 weeks ago #11913

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
Hey Clay..
could you describe this better so someone like me that has a hard time with visualization might "get" it?
Just not following the handle on the blue base part at all.

THX
wickededge wrote:
I've done lots of round and head knives and they come out really well. I mount them vertically so that the handle sits on the blue base and I do one half at a time, going just beyond the middle so that there is an overlap when I flip the knife around. The leather workers I've sharpened for really like the results.
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
I miss you Buddy!

Re: Small round knives 1 year 3 weeks ago #11916

• EamonMcGowan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 192
PhilipPasteur wrote:
Hey Clay..
could you describe this better so someone like me that has a hard time with visualization might "get" it?
Just not following the handle on the blue base part at all.

THX
wickededge wrote:
I've done lots of round and head knives and they come out really well. I mount them vertically so that the handle sits on the blue base and I do one half at a time, going just beyond the middle so that there is an overlap when I flip the knife around. The leather workers I've sharpened for really like the results.

Phil did you happen to see Clay's video in this thread? It does a pretty good job of explaining the handle. Even I understand now.;) And that is usually a reach! :lol:
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!

Re: Small round knives 1 year 3 weeks ago #11917

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 596
LeoBarr wrote:
`That knife looks like one used for cutting herbs often on a purpose made dished chopping board ; the geometry of the round knife is such that when using the point it is easy to cut a curve or when cutting straight the cut is started with the edge and as the cut progresses the knife is rolled towards the centre or as the centre is in line with the grip a lot of pressure can be used to cut though thick layers of leather they are great knives to use.

I have one of the Shun Mezzaluna knives and boards like you describe. It's great for fine dicing/chopping of herbs.
--Clay Allison

Re: Small round knives 1 year 3 weeks ago #11919

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
Luck man!
Speaking of odd knives a friend gave me a cheese knife to sharpen it has handles (one on each end) perpendicular to the blade and was the best part of a metre long

Re: Small round knives 1 year 3 weeks ago #11920

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
ScreenShot2013-06-16at20.08.34.png

I just looked at the Shun Mezzaluna how do you sharpen that ?
Last Edit: 1 year 3 weeks ago by LeoBarr.

Re: Small round knives 1 year 3 weeks ago #11922

• tuffybraithwaite
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 110
PhilipPasteur wrote:
tuffybraithwaite wrote:
last week i had a somewhat similar type knife to sharpen, but it was un-mountable in the WE, so i just used the 600 to 1000 diamond paddles on it, but it was chisel grind job.

That Knife is an Ulu a knife originally used by Inuit woman for food prep and scraping skins.

I have a couple of them. Very useful for dicing and chopping vegetables and as a general purpose knife.

i got it from the next vendor over last sat.....and that is all she cuts with it - vegtables.
<"))))><(

Re: Small round knives 1 year 3 weeks ago #11924

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
That sound great especially with the native history behind it.

Re: Small round knives 1 year 3 weeks ago #11948

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
LeoBarr wrote:
I just looked at the Shun Mezzaluna how do you sharpen that ?

Interesting.. they sell the same sort of dished chopping board at ULU.com:
shop.theulufactory.com/6-1-2-bowl-with-5...your-choice-5BBA.htm

I wonder what came first... the ULU or the Mezzaluna.(half moon)
??

The pretty chopping bowls must have come later...
But, seem to be a logical progression..

With VG10, one has to wonder about the pricing on the SHUN...
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
I miss you Buddy!
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds