Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mounting full flat ground blades

Mounting full flat ground blades 7 months 3 weeks ago #16319

Does anybody else mount there full flat ground blades like this? I found it is kind of hard to do but is a lot more solid than using foam tape. Maybe I am NOT doing it correctly.

If anybody has any pointers on mounting full flat ground blades please share. I have found this method to be successful but difficult because I generally have to use needle nose vise-grips to pinch the very end of the clamp against the blade. It is tricky to do with only one set of hands.

Thank you
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Mounting full flat ground blades 7 months 3 weeks ago #16339

• EamonMcGowan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 200
Get yourself a piece of chamois. Cut several small rectangular shapes for different knives. When you go to lock your knife down add the chamois like a little cradle. Try and keep the chamois from hanging over the side of the vise as it will catch. I'm talking 1/2"x 1" and smaller.
I have been doing it this way for a long while now and I never have a problem. It is just SOP for me now. Every knife gets clamped down that way.
Have fun and good luck! :)
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: LeoBarr, Adre

Re:Mounting full flat ground blades 7 months 3 weeks ago #16341

I will give that a whirl. Thanks

Re:Mounting full flat ground blades 7 months 2 weeks ago #16360

I got me a chamois and tried it. Excellent

Re:Mounting full flat ground blades 7 months 2 weeks ago #16395

• Fruitninja
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi,
may I ask for a picture of the blade in the clamp with the chamois holding it? I have a lot of FFG and it is difficult for me to clam those with foam tape. Thank you!

Re:Mounting full flat ground blades 7 months 2 weeks ago #16405

I will hook you up with some pictures right away. As soon as I figure out how to upload them.

Re:Mounting full flat ground blades 7 months 2 weeks ago #16407

I posted those pictures and another picture of a formula I use on the basic sharpening techniques. I just started a new thread. I hope that will work for you.

Re:Re: Re:Mounting full flat ground blades 7 months 2 weeks ago #16408

Fruitninja wrote:
Hi,
may I ask for a picture of the blade in the clamp with the chamois holding it? I have a lot of FFG and it is difficult for me to clam those with foam tape. Thank you!
Attachments:

Re:Mounting full flat ground blades 7 months 2 weeks ago #16409

I think I figured out how to reply. I hope these pictures help you out. You just need to get a caliper of some sort for the measurements. It is not a piano so you don't have to measure exactly. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. I am NOT an expert by any stretch of the imagination but I think I am improving with help from others, especially others on this forum. Thanks everybody.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cbwx34

Re:Mounting full flat ground blades 7 months 2 weeks ago #16413

• Fruitninja
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you very much for your reply! Basically you make the blade lean to one side and adjust the angle of the opposite side to compensate for the displacement. Do you think it would work for wider blades too, say .230 inches blades?
I always try to put material in the gap between the blade and the clamp on each side to prevent leaning, i have to try this method!
Does it look like the bevels are even?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds