Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Why sharpen to the factory angle?

Why sharpen to the factory angle? 7 months 1 week ago #16147

• tcmeyer
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 232
Gib:

When you're sharpening the jerky knife, be very careful to keep all your pinkies attached to the block throughout the stroke. Failure to do so may result in nearly-severed appendages, especially at the far end of the stroke.

I wonder if jerky knives are one of those applications where a toothy edge is an advantage? I was surprised to not sense a significant improvement in cutting over the factory edge. It was one of my very first WEPS knives and I didn't have a microscope to see what the factory edge really looked like.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Why sharpen to the factory angle? 7 months 1 week ago #16149

• GibCurry
  • Expert Boarder
  • Gib
  • Thank you received: 117
LeoBarr wrote:
Tuffy had a Katana to sharpen the other week which he did an admirable job on.....

Thanks for the video links... They are on my watch list for later this morning.

Thanks, also, for the kind & encouraging words of several. I've always tended to be harder on myself than other people.

It's all in a quest to clearly understand my strengths and weaknesses.

How far I've come is quite a bit along the way. How far I have to go seems to be a receding horizon!

I'm comfortable with that -- especially as long as I/we continue to have access to this forum and all the real, true experts. (Like Tuffy; among others. Sharpening that sword is amazing to me.)

~~~~

To be clear, I have a knife I use for jerky.... I googled "jerky knife" now I want one!! :S
~~~~

For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

"My goal is to be a good, practical knife sharpener. My dream is to polish molecules."
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge, LeoBarr

Why sharpen to the factory angle? 7 months 1 week ago #16152

• BobNash
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
GibCurry wrote:
There's a knife show in April in Oregon. (It looks like a great show. Anyone coming/going? www.oregonknifeclub.org/ ) I've looked into the table and signup costs. But, I'm not going to do it this year.

Hey Gib - we'll be there again this year! And hopefully in our usual spot - row N at the back of the room. If you come down stop by and say hello! You can watch how I do it (of course I'm there to sell sharpeners not just sharpen the knives so it is a bit different from the guys in the front of the room with their edge pros - just knocking out knives) You can even give me a break for a bit if you wanted :cheer: Great show if anyone is anywhere near by, and Eugene is a great area to visit in the spring.

Lots of great information here - thanks everyone.

I guess I'm the odd man out in this thread. At shows I always match for the reasons noted - speed. If someone wants something different I'll do it depending on the line of folks and knives. For my personal stuff I always start at the factory angles and use it and sharpen it a few times (or let Emily use it if it is her's) to see how it works for how I (she) use it and then I make a decision on what to do with the angle. Most times I end up going lower but several times I haven't and some I leave exactly where they came to me. So far this method has served me well, and more often then not I'm already happy with the look of the knife too or I wouldn't have picked it up so am not looking to make any changes there. I suppose I'm a bit more cautious too having heard and helped fix some folks horror stories of removing too much metal or ending up with a mess when they have tried to reprofile something first time out. None of them though were as bad as Leo's shared photos thank goodness - no grinds half way up the blade. Though I've repaired some butchered knives at shows too from some fast moving belts with not so talented artists guiding the knife....
Some of the edges I've sharpened on the WE
www.oldawan.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
505-570-2040 (mobile and office)
Last Edit: 7 months 1 week ago by BobNash.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge, cbwx34

Why sharpen to the factory angle? 7 months 1 week ago #16156

• tcmeyer
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 232
Gib:

I've got the High Mountain Knife and Board set as sold at:

www.cabelas.com/product/Hi-Mountain-Jerk...Knife-Set/716760.uts

My knife is about ten years old and has a clunky but serviceable cast aluminum handle. Works great.

My best jerky ever was a WY pronghorn I had quartered by the game processor in Newcastle. Trick was to not let it get too dry in the oven. Over-drying seems to take the flavor out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GibCurry

Why sharpen to the factory angle? 7 months 1 week ago #16166

• GibCurry
  • Expert Boarder
  • Gib
GibCurry wrote:
There's a knife show in April in Oregon. (It looks like a great show. Anyone coming/going? www.oregonknifeclub.org/ ) I've looked into the table and signup costs. But, I'm not going to do it this year.
BobNash wrote:
Hey Gib - we'll be there again this year! ........

Bob, that is exciting news!! I was thinking about possibly, maybe going but now I'm going to do everything in my power to be there. I'll run the dates by my wife later today.

If I'm there, I will probably hang around too much....

I had looked for a list of vendors to see if anyone has or will be representing WE. I'm so glad to hear you've been to this show before.

I'll be in touch.....
~~~~

For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

"My goal is to be a good, practical knife sharpener. My dream is to polish molecules."
Last Edit: 7 months 1 week ago by GibCurry.

Why sharpen to the factory angle? 7 months 1 week ago #16167

• BobNash
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
Be great to meet in person, and you'd be more than welcome to hang around as long as you liked and talk/watch/sharpen..... Every once in a while you can just pretend your buying too :silly: - helps with sales!!! :evil: :whistle:

Hope you can make it
Some of the edges I've sharpened on the WE
www.oldawan.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
505-570-2040 (mobile and office)

Why sharpen to the factory angle? 7 months 1 week ago #16176

• Citadel99
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Lots of great information here. Thanks for all the replies and input. This Internet thing sure is nice when you are in learning mode...

Mark
The following user(s) said Thank You: GibCurry

Why sharpen to the factory angle? 7 months 1 week ago #16178

• GibCurry
  • Expert Boarder
  • Gib
Citadel99 wrote:
Lots of great information here. Thanks for all the replies and input. This Internet thing sure is nice when you are in learning mode...

Mark

Thanks for asking the right questions.....
~~~~

For Now,

Gib

Φ

Why sharpen to the factory angle? 7 months 6 days ago #16208

• Geocyclist
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 161
I did one today at the factory angle. It was a Doug Ritter Mk2 fixed blade. Thick 5mm 1095 carbon steel, 6" blade for bush crafting. I liked the factory angle, and it was a pretty even bevel left to right and tip to heel. Using a marker it was about 23 degrees per side. I went with 22.5 to completely even out the bevel. I figured for this knife with the intended purpose of bush crafting that it should be 20 to 25 per side. Other than the fact that I like the factory angle my other main reason to match the factory angle was to save time and stone wear. This guy is a beast.
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds