Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Left and right angle inconsistency with angle cube

Left and right angle inconsistency with angle cube 9 months 5 days ago #15427

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 241
Its a Rockstead Un 044 Made in Japan April16th2013 ZDP189 / HRc 67.1 clad with ATS34 HRc 60.9
Length 255.5mm Blade 149mm Weight 254g
the cord is silk over a Menuki each side mounted on top of stingray .
I bought it as a treasure to build in value it is razor sharp like a Samurai it is sharpened by hand with an angle of about 12Ëš per side at the kissaki which increases to 15Ëš as it graduates towards the handle .
I do hand sharpen some knives using Choseras & Shapton glass ceramics and sometimes do similar angles these are convex angles . this knife is so sharp I put it on a duvet to photograph it and it cut both through the cover and the duvet just resting there . I have never intentionally cut anything with it and do not intend to I enjoy its beauty and in any case it is too large to wear in most places . I do have smaller less valuable Rocksteads that I do use and indeed sharpen but not this one .

www.rockstead.jp/collection/detail.html?id=
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Left and right angle inconsistency with angle cube 9 months 3 days ago #15448

• tcmeyer
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 257
Gee, thanks a lot, Leo. I watched a bunch of Rockstead's videos and if there was any question up until this point, it is now clear that I am unworthy, both as a knifemaker and a sharpener.

I have never been a collector and being from a frugal background, I've been buying a lot of cheap pocket knives. I get them really sharp, but I need a lot of them because they dull so easily. Now I know why. My Japanese Seki's are made of AUS-6. Rocksteads are made of Unobtainium.

Left and right angle inconsistency with angle cube 9 months 3 days ago #15450

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 241
What I would say is that even some good knives I have a Japanese Honyaki Nakiri vegetable knife which I spent some hours convex thinning many of the Japanese chef knives of high quality assume the user will customise parts of the knife be it thin it or changing bevels .
What I would say that should you find a worthwhile knife be it the steel or the shape it could well be worth the work to remove the imperfections that in reality is very rewarding . Tuffy found a MAC knife I think at a thrift store and bought it for a fraction of the original price sometimes people throw out stuff not knowing the value.
If you are a knife maker there are some great steels available sometimes on ebay or similar places there are some great damascus blanks either high quality American made or low quality Asian made . One day I intend to have a go at making some knives when I have a back yard I would first make one using a blank or an old file they make great knives they need de tempering first to work it then re tempering after shaping this is affordable hard steel .

Seki made knives are great I have one I bought and a Yangi I was given both are razor sharp both I have hand sharpened since a Yangi really is not suited to the WE with it convex thinning and the Uri sharpening and the other was con vexed to begin with so it would be a shame to change it.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds