Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: After 400

After 400 9 months 1 week ago #12731

• Qira123
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi everyone I am new to this forum and WE. I have a question I hope someone could help me with. I start out using 100 then 200, 400 up to 1600. Edge seems to keep improving up to about 400 then just gets a little duller after each stone progression. Could someone help me out here. Thank You...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

After 400 9 months 6 days ago #12740

• razoredgeknives
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 186
2 questions real quick... 1. Are you using the sharpie trick to make sure you are matching the existing angle and 2.are you raising a burr at the lower levels before advancing the stone progression? We should be able to help you out more after we get these answers :-)

After 400 9 months 6 days ago #12741

• KenBuzbee
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 110
Are you sure you are reaching the edge? (visual check? using a loupe?)

Are your stones travelling more than 1/2 way up the rods? If o, watch your angles. Things can get "wobbly" that far.

Those are my first two thoughts...

Ken

(edit - are you alternating every stroke? Maybe it's a burr issue?)
玉鋼
Last Edit: 9 months 6 days ago by KenBuzbee.

After 400 9 months 6 days ago #12745

• KenBuzbee
  • Platinum Boarder
razoredgeknives wrote:
.are you raising a burr at the lower levels before advancing the stone progression?

I understand where you're going but I'm actually trying to avoid a burr these days. I watch my edge develope through a loupe at the higher grits until I apex. Once I'm there, alternating strokes keeps it clean.

I think a burr actually weakens the metal under it, even if you remove it during the process.

Ken
玉鋼

After 400 9 months 6 days ago #12746

• razoredgeknives
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 186
KenBuzbee wrote:
razoredgeknives wrote:
.are you raising a burr at the lower levels before advancing the stone progression?

I understand where you're going but I'm actually trying to avoid a burr these days. I watch my edge develope through a loupe at the higher grits until I apex. Once I'm there, alternating strokes keeps it clean.

I think a burr actually weakens the metal under it, even if you remove it during the process.

Ken

I see what you're saying ken, but for someone who's new to sharpening this would be very confusing I think.

I agree with trying to apex the edge at higher grits to conserve metal, but it is impossible to not raise some of a burr, even as hard as you try. Even if you can't feel it there will still be a microscopic burr there. I think the "not raising a burr" theory only works in theory and not in practice :-) but I may be wrong!
Last Edit: 9 months 6 days ago by razoredgeknives.

After 400 9 months 6 days ago #12748

• KenBuzbee
  • Platinum Boarder
razoredgeknives wrote:
I see what you're saying ken, but for someone who's new to sharpening this would be very confusing I think.

It can be, Josh, but otoh, it's not rocket science ;)
razoredgeknives wrote:
I agree with trying to apex the edge at higher grits to conserve metal, but it is impossible to not raise some of a burr, even as hard as you try. Even if you can't feel it there will still be a microscopic burr there. I think the "not raising a burr" theory only works in theory and not in practice :-) but I may be wrong!

You're technically right, of course. Even a single stroke will raise a slight burr, once you've reached the edge. My issue isn't so much with saving steel as weakening the metal you're using to form the edge. Never forming one "intentionally" and always alternating strokes seems to minimize this. Removing a single stroke burr is a lot less than 10-20 strokes.

Ken
玉鋼

After 400 9 months 6 days ago #12750

• cbwx34
  • WE Stonehenge?
  • Thank you received: 390
Qira123 wrote:
Hi everyone I am new to this forum and WE. I have a question I hope someone could help me with. I start out using 100 then 200, 400 up to 1600. Edge seems to keep improving up to about 400 then just gets a little duller after each stone progression. Could someone help me out here. Thank You...

Welcome to the forum.

Another question I'll add... what do you mean by "duller"? As you go to finer grits, the edge may "feel" duller as the 'teeth' get more refined... but it doesn't necessarily mean that it's actually getting duller.. in fact the opposite may be taking place.

How are you checking your blades for sharpness?

After 400 9 months 6 days ago #12754

• Qira123
  • Fresh Boarder
Wow, lots of help out their Thank You All. In response to the questions. I haven't used a sharpie with the WE especially on the knife I was working on because it didn't have much of an edge.
I do raise a burr.
Yes my stones travel more than 1/2 way.
I do not alternate every stroke.
I check sharpness with paper before I start, as I progress, and when I am done, and just by touching the blade, on one knife I tried whittling hair through the entire process just to see at what point it would or if I could even get to that point which I didn't. I sharpen on a Tormek so I have some experience but wanted to do a better job on some knives so I am trying the WE.
Thanks Again...

After 400 9 months 5 days ago #12783

• Qira123
  • Fresh Boarder
razoredgeknives wrote:
2 questions real quick... 1. Are you using the sharpie trick to make sure you are matching the existing angle and 2.are you raising a burr at the lower levels before advancing the stone progression? We should be able to help you out more after we get these answers :-)

Wow, lots of help out their Thank You All. In response to the questions. I haven't used a sharpie with the WE especially on the knife I was working on because it didn't have much of an edge.
I do raise a burr.
Yes my stones travel more than 1/2 way.
I check sharpness with paper before I start, as I progress, and when I am done, and just by touching the blade, on one knife I tried whittling hair through the entire process just to see at what point it would or if I could even get to that point which I didn't. I sharpen on a Tormek so I have some experience but wanted to do a better job on some knives so I am trying the WE.
Thanks Again...

After 400 9 months 4 days ago #12796

• cbwx34
  • WE Stonehenge?
  • Thank you received: 390
Qira123 wrote:

I would change this. After raising a burr once on either side at the beginning of the process (if you decide to create one at all), switch to alternating strokes for that level and every grit level after. See if that makes a difference.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds