Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ceramic or 1000 grit stone for convex bevels???

Re: Ceramic or 1000 grit stone for convex bevels??? 1 year 7 months ago #8555

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
Mark moved that message
wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_k...11&id=8549&Itemid=63

You may want to post what you wrote over there.

Phil
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Ceramic or 1000 grit stone for convex bevels??? 1 year 7 months ago #8557

Will do. Thanks again Phil.

Re: Ceramic or 1000 grit stone for convex bevels??? 1 year 7 months ago #8571

• leomitch
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 207
Hey Mark
I loved your blogs on the convex edge, excellent work my friend!
I wonder if this isn't good spot to pop in a little history of the convex edge.
It is probably the oldest method of sharpening around. Even in the early times of metal blades a la the bronze age, the easiest method of sharpening for the common fellow was to sit in his camp during the early evening passing his blade edge along a handy stone of suitable hardness creating or rebuilding the sharpest edge he could manage in the simplest way available. Another time stopping by a rocky stream tumbling down a mountain side for a drink, he might pause in his travels and again work on that edge. As Ken pointed out, a convex edge is a bit of a cheat since it is impossible to guarantee the angle when sharpening this way manually, but eventually the edge would obtain that wonderful bullet shape ogive that gives one a substantial edge for heavy duty tasks...for this bronze age fellow chopping wood, blazing a trail through those ancient tractless forests, killing and rendering after hunting down some animal or another and lets not forget self defense, for cleaving through bone and armour when the occasion arose.
For the guy who sharpens by hand , it is the natural product of sharpening and stropping manually daily, eventually the convex edge will appear.
Using the modern tools like the WEPS as Mark has described so beautifully in his blog, makes the building of this kind of well supported edge an easy task and it can be maintained easily and for a long time simply by stropping on something handy, be it a piece of leather with or without compound,on your jeans, a piece of sandpaper or even a piece of newsprint. Using any of these will keep that excellent round shoulder and ogive sharp and ready for cutting, slicing, chopping and whatever. Hopefully though, not for cleaving through armour and the bones of enemies! LOL!
So down through the ages the convex edge has been the useful companion of the ordinary man, simple and reliable...not always super sharp at first, but eventually through daily stropping, it becomes a strong and very sharp edge. An axe is an excellent tool that utilizes a convex edge and one can see in this useful tool a convex edge working at its strongest and finest.
Enough? I guess so, I do go on yes? :huh:

Leo
Never go anywhere without your knife!
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds