Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Edge angles, having problems...

Edge angles, having problems... 2 years 7 months ago #260

• firechef
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Okay, so first of all, I noticed that when I set both arms to the same angled setting( say 15-18) that the edges are different on my knives. The left side edge, with the retaining screws toward me, is about half the thickness of the right side edge. Maybe 1mm vs. 2mm say. I also noticed that space from the vise to the 15 on the right side was closer than the 15 on the left side. Has anyone noticed this? It's driving me nuts having two different depths/angles on my edge!!! Also, my left side keeps on loosening as I sharpen. Any suggestions? Thanks! ~Frank~
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Edge angles, having problems... 2 years 7 months ago #262

• hammer
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
How old is your sharpener?
Just wondering if something got by QC
It's a sick world I'm a happy guy

Re: Edge angles, having problems... 2 years 7 months ago #264

• Salguod
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
If it is an FFG blade, I would make sure that the blade is straight up and down in the clamp and not canted to one side. If that isn’t it, (and this is happening on multiple knives) then yes, it sounds like something is assembled incorrectly on the WEPS.

Re: Edge angles, having problems... 2 years 7 months ago #265

• firechef
  • Fresh Boarder
It is the newest model, as it came to me on the last shipment from Wicked Edge USA, @ two weeks ago.I have two flat ground RAT folders, one leatherman and a scandinavian knife. All had the same problem. I did do a RAT 5 at work that I haven't checked for this yet. I'll check it out later. I did notice that the vise acted like a wood working vise, in that it was tough to get it to apply equal pressure on the blades where it was touching. Perhaps I have to work on getting it more evenly gripped by the vise. Still, I wonder if it is centered properly. I don't see how that could be when the settings are different distances from each side of the vise. I'll try to post pictures of what I mean as soon as I can figure out how to do that. Thanks!~F~

Re: Edge angles, having problems... 2 years 7 months ago #266

• Salguod
  • Senior Boarder
Check out this FAQ and video the on WEPS website.
www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=c...31:general&Itemid=46

Make sure that you are doing everything right with placing the FFG knife with the sticky tape and that the knife is centered and perfectly vertical. If you STILL have a problem, then it might be the WEPS. But always check for the easy explanation first. For me at least, that usually means I did something wrong. :silly:

Doug

Re: Edge angles, having problems... 2 years 7 months ago #267

• CAWalter
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
The degree markings should be equal distance from the base. My 15 degree mark is 1/2" from the blue base on both sides. The thumb screws do come loose sometimes, make sure you tighten in the dimple. Check from time to time. As said for FFG blades you can use a strip of double stick foam/gum tape at the top of the jaws to hold vertical, check your set-up.

CAW

Re: Edge angles, having problems... 2 years 7 months ago #268

• leomitch
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 205
Ditto for me! My markings are equidistant and when I measure with the Angle cube, each paddle rests on the blade at the same set angle. If your degree markings are off, I think a call to the Wicked Edge for advice will solve your problem. Clay may not be there for a bit but whoever is will be really helpful.
As for the screws, they do come loose from time to time. I find I can tighten them more securely if, after initial tightening, I hold the arm and paddle vertically and then tighten it securely. Again CAWalter was right on the money...check them as you go along and don't assume that they are tight. Hope this helps mate!

All the best
Leo
Never go anywhere without your knife!
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell

Re: Edge angles, having problems... 2 years 7 months ago #269

• jendeindustries
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 113
I suggest using the Angle Cube to double check the angles as well.

If you are using the side with the pre drilled holes, then you will get a very sharp edge simply due to consistency, which is more important in the beginning stages, IMO.

I have no idea how advanced the OP is, but I prefer to use the side without the holes with the angle cube as my guide because there will always be some degree of variation along the road with sharpening materials. On my stock paddles (about 1 year old), there is a slight variance between all the grits. (+/- .15 degrees) I recall using the hole side only once when I first got my WEPS. But I'm a propeller head when it comes to my guided sharpening devices B)

As for the screw - I think we've all not tightened it enough- I know I have done it several times :whistle: I now double check that it's as tight as I can make it after each adjustment.
Tom Blodgett
Jende Industries, LLC

My Blog: jendeindustries.wordpress.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: leomitch

Re: Edge angles, having problems... 2 years 7 months ago #270

• Salguod
  • Senior Boarder
Yes, I'm going to have to get myself an Angle Cube. Amazon has them at a reasonable price and they are very useful. Much better than my plastic protractor. :blush:

Re: Edge angles, having problems... 2 years 7 months ago #271

• firechef
  • Fresh Boarder
Okay, so get an angle cube (whatever that is!)from Amazon, lift my arm when tightening my bolt, and check my distances again. Got it! On the other hand, I don't understand the hole side vs. the non hole side. I"m not sure what you were talking about there. I do want to know, though. Can you please explain more Jende? I'm one of those guys to whom good isn't ever good enough! Only Jesus is perfect, but I can always get a little closer to that in what I do! SO as I learn from you guys, I'll get a little more refined in my practices, bit by bit. So forgive me if I don't understand the abbreviations and lingo just yet. I'm just starting out, and still learning. I do agree with you, Leo, WE's customer service is one of the best I've ever worked with!! Thanks again!~F~
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds