Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Here's a few mods, tips, & tricks I did to my WEPS

Re: Here's a few mods, tips, & tricks I did to my WEPS 2 years 2 weeks ago #2480

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 187
here ya go...a few more pics that i didn't have uploaded before =) Clay, this is what i'm talking about being able to get a steeper angle...

sorry they're not the best quality in the world.... oh, and the only reason the straight razor is in there is for photo purposes only.... lol, i was just getting ready to hit it w/ the 10k choseras but wanted to demonstrate what i was talking about first =) i would never put that steep of an angle on a razor! lol
Last Edit: 2 years 2 weeks ago by razoredgeknives.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: leomitch

Re: Here's a few mods, tips, & tricks I did to my WEPS 2 years 2 weeks ago #2486

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 564
These are great, thank you for sharing!
--Clay Allison

Re: Here's a few mods, tips, & tricks I did to my WEPS 2 years 2 weeks ago #2499

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
np... you see what I'm saying about extending the square arm on the mod to be about 3" long? you could then slide the rod arm base up and down on it, which would then allow for even scissors =) unfortunately (hind sight is 20/20 lol) I didn't make them long enough so I still can't do scissors =(

Re: Here's a few mods, tips, & tricks I did to my WEPS 2 years 1 week ago #2709

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
Hey, just so everyone knows if your interested.... I reinforced the joints on my rod arm bases. It didn't work as planned at first, so I adapted and now its great. I used a "nut and bolt" style instead of threading the actual aluminum base itself. For the larger part of the base (i.e. the blue part), you will need to drill it out with a 1/8" drill bit (and bore it out a little to widen it) and use a 6/32" screw to go through. For the top part (i.e. the black part of the base) I used a slightly smaller screw, which was 4/40" (if I remember correctly).

Using these items I am now able to (with the help of loctite) tighten the nut just perfectly to where it will still allow free movement but not so loose as to allow any play. This in combination with the Subway straw idea and there is hardly any noticeable play!

Re: Here's a few mods, tips, & tricks I did to my WEPS 2 years 1 week ago #2723

• BruceGuignard
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Great video. Thanks for the suggestions. I feel like the farmer's anxious rooster - just looking for something to ****, ah.. sharpen.

Re: Here's a few mods, tips, & tricks I did to my WEPS 1 year 11 months ago #2958

• mark76
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 307
I decided to try out the magnet idea from the video: a magnet to keep the WEPS and its base clean. That was fun!

I had no idea how strong a magnet I should get. Since I guessed it should be pretty strong to attract steel dust from the air, I ordered a 38 kilogram magnet. That is not a magnet that weighs 38 kilograms :), but a magnet with an attractive force of 38 kilograms. Still it is not very large: a disk with an intersection of a little over one inch and a height of half an inch.

I had no clue how strong 38 kilograms would be in practice.

The fun started when the package arrived. I used my EDC to open the package and immediately my knife was drawn strongly towards the center of the package. It took me quite some force to remove the knife and I had to open the package by hand :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .

I wanted to know how strong the magnet really was and kept it next to my pocket knife. That was a loud bang! And then I had to remove the pocket knife... Well, I must say that 38 kilos is a lot of force to apply to a small and open pocket knife. Definitely not safe! (But fun :mrgreen: .)

What was less fun was that this magnet caused the battery of the flashlight of my camera to sparkle when I took the above picture. I think I wisely kept this magnet away from cell phones and computers.

How well does it perform on the Wicked Edge? Well, it definitely draws some steel dust from the air to it. But not a lot; there is still some dust that comes down elsewhere. Perhaps that is not so surprising if you know that the magnetic force probably decreases with much more than the inverse square of the distance.

And to be honest, the dry stones on the WEPS do not cause much dust. The magnet works well in attracting the steel dust, however, if you move it over the base, close to the base. However, so does a wet cloth.

And I now have a new problem: how to remove the steel filings from the magnet? :mrgreen: I think this magnet will have to leave our house...
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by mark76.

Re: Here's a few mods, tips, & tricks I did to my WEPS 1 year 11 months ago #2960

• DennisHibar
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
That's one strong magnet!! A while ago, I took a slightly different route. I glued a small magnet to a Popsicle stick. When I am done sharpening, I just run the magnet over and under the WE to pick-up any steel dust. After that I use a hand-held vac over the WE, to make sure I get any grit out of critical areas, like the arm pivots, that may have been missed with the magnet.

My knives (updated 4/21/2014)
Dennis in PA

Re: Here's a few mods, tips, & tricks I did to my WEPS 1 year 11 months ago #2961

• TonyPettersen
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
i have tried to use a Neodymium magnet that size and i put a film of plastic over it and taped it down, so i could remove steel powder from the magnet.. and it just ended up magnetizing stuff.. i scrapped that idea and continued to look for the smaller magnets i have somewhere.. stuck to something
im nothing but a hone-dog

Re: Here's a few mods, tips, & tricks I did to my WEPS 1 year 11 months ago #2962

• AnthonyYan
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Hi Mark76,

Your magnet can lift 38 Kilograms? So, 38 Kilograms * 2.2 Pounds/Kilogram = 83.6 Pounds. That is one VERY strong magnet.

Most magnets (not all) have a dipole or dipole-like field, so their strength drops off extremely rapidly with distance. But with such a strong magnet, it's still powerful enough to demagnetize your credit card from a fair distance, and induce voltages in nearby moving metal objects the same way that happens in a dynamo/electric-generator (like inducing voltages in your camera). And don't let anything metal nearby accelerate into the magnet; at up to 80+ lbs of force, that could cause serious bruising of a finger, or the impact could shatter/chip the magnet (which is actually fairly brittle). And never never let two such magnets click together! You can separate them if you are very strong, but the impact will most likely chip one or both magnets and crush anything in between them.

One possible problem with magnets is only the metal swarf from the knife is magnetic. Most abrasives (SiC, AlO, Diamond, etc.) are not magnetic. So the small amount of abrasive released won't be attracted to the magnet.

Maybe, a simpler solution is to use a fan or vacuum, to blow the swarf away from your sharpener. You could try a saw-dust collection scheme like those in a wood-shop (where air is used to suck sawdust into a collection bin/filter).

This picture is of a vacuum nozzle on a wood drill press. (It is not a coolant sprayer!)
www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=58...=1,42401,62604,58751

www.woodcraft.com/product/2001850/3121/m...t-collector-set.aspx

For me, I would hate to do this, because I find sharpening very relaxing and meditative. So having a loud vacuum running would just annoy me. Unless maybe the vacuum itself was far away in another room, and one ran a very long suction hose to the WEPS...

Instead, I like to keep a small amount of water on the stones, so that a swarf slurry drips off which I find easier to clean. Although, you don't want that slurry to drip into your folding knife's pivot, or the WEPS joints.

A much more complicated solution, is to use the opposite of electrostatic powder-paint coating. In powder-coating (for say for automotive and industrial), the paint particles are given an opposite electrostatic charge as the object to be painted. That way, they are attracted to and stick onto the surface for an even coat, and so that they can be permanently baked on in an oven. I suppose the opposite could work: Just hook up the WEPS and knife up to a Van Der Graff generator and give everything the same charge, so the swarf is all electrostatically repelled away. Just try to ignore sparks you will get from touching a metal door knob etc. And don't bother to comb your hair, as it will all stand up anyways.

Of course, I'm totally joking! :D

Sincerely,
--Lagrangian

"What grit sharpens the mind?" --Zen Sharpening Koan
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by AnthonyYan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mark76

Re: Here's a few mods, tips, & tricks I did to my WEPS 1 year 11 months ago #2966

• mark76
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 307
ROFL!!
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds