Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: Wicked Edge lapping films and aluminium blanks?

Wicked Edge lapping films and aluminium blanks? 2 years 5 months ago #2304

  • mark76
  • mark76's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1257
  • Thank you received: 402
  • Karma: 87
Hi all,

I another topic I read about Wicked Edge lapping films (of various micron sizes) and aluminium blanks these lapping films can be attached to.

Does anyone know a reputable seller that sells these? Does Wicked Edge produce these themselves or do sellers make them? I got a pair of blank paddles from Wicked Edge directly and these did not (as I intended) have any aluminium in them.

Thanks!
Mark.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Wicked Edge lapping films and aluminium blanks? 2 years 5 months ago #2306

  • wickededge
  • wickededge's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1801
  • Thank you received: 649
  • Karma: 92
mark76 wrote:
Hi all,

I another topic I read about Wicked Edge lapping films (of various micron sizes) and aluminium blanks these lapping films can be attached to.

Does anyone know a reputable seller that sells these? Does Wicked Edge produce these themselves or do sellers make them? I got a pair of blank paddles from Wicked Edge directly and these did not (as I intended) have any aluminium in them.

Thanks!
Mark.

We're not currently offering the blanks, but definitely could start if enough people would like that.
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Wicked Edge lapping films and aluminium blanks? 2 years 5 months ago #2309

  • Deputy115
  • Deputy115's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Junior Boarder
  • Posts: 37
  • Thank you received: 3
  • Karma: 11
I would be interested in a set of blanks and the lapping film. could be an accessory option to purchase in addition to the other stones.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Wicked Edge lapping films and aluminium blanks? 2 years 5 months ago #2311

  • wickededge
  • wickededge's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1801
  • Thank you received: 649
  • Karma: 92
Okay. We'll start looking to source the blanks.
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Wicked Edge lapping films and aluminium blanks? 2 years 5 months ago #2312

  • PhilipPasteur
  • PhilipPasteur's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Posts: 944
  • Thank you received: 233
  • Karma: 66
Clay,
I would buy a set of blanks like that.

They sell them in steel and glass for the EP system.

Right now, I have been mostly using the lapping tapes on my 1000 grit stones. It seems to work just fine. Of course I am not sure what effect the rough surface under the tape has on the process. I can say that I have got some pretty nices edges using the tape. They can also be used on the balsa blanks or even the leather strops. I tried that a few times on unused strops and it does not seem to damage the leather.

Unfortunately Michael at Best Sharpening Stones was where I was getting my pre-cut 3M lapping tape. That doesn't seem to be a viable option now.

One can buy full 8.5" X 11 sheets of various grades and cut them to size. It is actually quite a bit cheaper that way. A few of the bigger woodworking outlets sell the sheets. I probably can get links if there is interest.

Phil
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Wicked Edge lapping films and aluminium blanks? 2 years 5 months ago #2316

  • leomitch
  • leomitch's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 721
  • Thank you received: 209
  • Karma: 92
Here is a source for 3-M lapping sheets 8.5x11. There is a good variety of grits. Take a look. This is where I got mine. Good folks here! The sample pack is a good deal and gives you a nice variety for good value.

www.toolsforworkingwood.com//Merchant/me...XX&Category_Code=THS

Cheers
Leo
Never go anywhere without your knife!
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by leomitch.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mark76, PhilipPasteur

Re: Wicked Edge lapping films and aluminium blanks? 2 years 5 months ago #2317

  • PhilipPasteur
  • PhilipPasteur's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Posts: 944
  • Thank you received: 233
  • Karma: 66
Leo,
That is exactly where I got my last batch... in the sample packs. They don't match up exactly with the pre-cut strips, but there is enough variety to do a good progression.
Thanks for posting the link.

Phil
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: leomitch

Re: Wicked Edge lapping films and aluminium blanks? 2 years 5 months ago #2361

  • BassLakeDan
  • BassLakeDan's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 121
  • Thank you received: 28
  • Karma: 19
wickededge wrote:
mark76 wrote:
Hi all,

I another topic I read about Wicked Edge lapping films (of various micron sizes) and aluminium blanks these lapping films can be attached to.

Does anyone know a reputable seller that sells these? Does Wicked Edge produce these themselves or do sellers make them? I got a pair of blank paddles from Wicked Edge directly and these did not (as I intended) have any aluminium in them.

Thanks!
Mark.

We're not currently offering the blanks, but definitely could start if enough people would like that.

Count me in for a set or two. I am very much interested in sets of Blank Handles for the WE. There is a related topic here somewhere about the site BSS (Best Sharpening Systems).. I found Blanks advertised on that site and I ordered some. But, of course, the were never shipped to me. The details on that is best left to the other topic thread. Anyway, long story short, if WE will offer them, it will be a service to me and many others. Thanks -Dan
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Wicked Edge lapping films and aluminium blanks? 2 years 5 months ago #2362

  • DennisHibar
  • DennisHibar's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Senior Boarder
  • Posts: 63
  • Thank you received: 23
  • Karma: 7
What I have been doing is using a a set of strops that I nicked really badly and taping 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper to them to use while awaiting my ceramic paddles. Originally, I had been taping the sandpaper to my 800/1000 paddles .... but found that the pliability of the leather worked a little better, in that it gave me better options for applying varying amounts of pressure. I then ordered a couple sets of blank handles and bought some latigo belt leather strips (which is a littler more durable than the premium cowhide used in the stock strops) to try. I cut and glued (Elmer's Glue All) the strips to the blank handles and have been using them as additional strops and will use them for sandpaper/lapping film if/when them become damaged.

My knives (updated 9/10/2014)
Dennis in PA
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Wicked Edge lapping films and aluminium blanks? 2 years 5 months ago #2369

  • BassLakeDan
  • BassLakeDan's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 121
  • Thank you received: 28
  • Karma: 19
DennisHibar wrote:
What I have been doing is using a a set of strops that I nicked really badly and taping 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper to them to use while awaiting my ceramic paddles. Originally, I had been taping the sandpaper to my 800/1000 paddles .... but found that the pliability of the leather worked a little better, in that it gave me better options for applying varying amounts of pressure. I then ordered a couple sets of blank handles and bought some latigo belt leather strips (which is a littler more durable than the premium cowhide used in the stock strops) to try. I cut and glued (Elmer's Glue All) the strips to the blank handles and have been using them as additional strops and will use them for sandpaper/lapping film if/when them become damaged.

I understand exactly what you mean. Every time I nick my leather I think "great, I am just that much closer to converting these handles!" .. but seriously I am going to get a set of blanks today and mount my favorite strop material to them., After I get it all up and running i will post a few photos and test results here on this forum. For several years I have been using Spanish Cedar wood strips with my bench stones as a final polish. I still use leather for *some* knives, but not all.

Spanish Cedar is commonly found in high quality Cigar Boxes. If you consult your local Cigar Store you can usually pick up old empty boxes for a buck or two. Not all of these boxes are created equal. Look for the ones that have separate slat-type inserts of that wood. The face of these inserts is usually sanded smooth and the dimensions are about as shown in this attached photo. The advantage of this material is that it is readily available, cheap, and the grain and nature of the wood retains the abrasive compound well, and its surface has low compliance to pressure deformation. Since you can easily obtain many samples of these wood slats, you can experiment with lots of different compounds, which is fun to do. Balsa is used by some for strops, but I find it too soft and it deforms, which is the same negative property as leather: it is very difficult to impossible to prevent turning your edge into anything but convex with the use of strop surfaces that are not flat, and of course, leather is in no way flat. It is, rather, a high compliance material that deforms under pressure.

strops.jpg
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: leomitch
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds