Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Choosing a fairly full WE setup - Requesting input

Choosing a fairly full WE setup - Requesting input 2 months 2 weeks ago #15657

• Quoddy99
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
First ever post... I'm about to choose a modified WE set and would like suggestions and input (both positive and negative) about my choice(s).

Start with a ProPack II, but drop the 800/1000 diamond and the micro fine ceramic stones normally included. Add 800/1000 and 2000/3000 Chosera stones. Drop the 1 and .5 strop pack and add two Roo strops along with 1, .5, .25 Micron Diamond sprays and .125 Cubic Boron Nitride spray.

My experience up until now is with an EP Apex II and often touch-ups with 1500 to 2000 sandpaper. Being close to OCD, I just can't stand anything less than near perfect on the many quality knives I own, and so far haven't achieved it.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Choosing a fairly full WE setup - Requesting input 2 months 2 weeks ago #15658

• LukasPop
  • Expert Boarder
Hi, so you want to have perfect polish, right? I recommend preserve 800/1000 diamond, because diamonds leave deaper scratches than the same grit Choseras. And maybe I drop one Roo strop and add 5000/10000 Choseras, but it means price increase. But with patience your edges should be soon near perfect either way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quoddy99

Choosing a fairly full WE setup - Requesting input 2 months 2 weeks ago #15659

• mark76
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 306
+1 to Lukas' recommendation. And if that's too expensive, if you keep the ceramics already included you can go directly to the 5K/10K Chosera's.
Last Edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by mark76.

Choosing a fairly full WE setup - Requesting input 2 months 2 weeks ago #15660

• EamonMcGowan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 184
I wish my goals would have been so clear when I started out. I ended up buying everything you mentioned. Here us what I would do? I would keep the 800/1000 diamonds for reasons already stated. Then I would get Chosera's
1/3K and 5/10K. For strops... Roo with 1/.25 diamond spray. With this combo you will be able to see your eyelashes in the reflection! The ceramics and leather strops if you decide they do not fit in your collection ( I think you'll like them) they will be easy to sell here on the WEPS forum and recoup some money.
And to do this and to make sure I am right? I would call Bob Nash @ Oldawan Tools (505) 570.2040 tell him my goals and let him customize my order so it is 100% right! But that just me and ymmv? Best of luck! No matter what you do? You are just going to LOVE the WEPS!!!
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: razoredgeknives, Quoddy99

Choosing a fairly full WE setup - Requesting input 2 months 2 weeks ago #15670

• Quoddy99
  • Junior Boarder
Well... after viewing the responses and having a discussion with Bob on what I want, here's the modification on the WEPS Pro Pack II:

Drop: Micro fine ceramic (keeping the 800/1000 diamond) and the leather strop with 1 & .5 paste.

Add: 1000/5000 and a 3000/10000 Chosera, and Roo strop with 1 and .25 CBN sprays.

It's all on the way this afternoon.

Thanks to those who responded with quick and excellent suggestions.
Last Edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by Quoddy99.

Choosing a fairly full WE setup - Requesting input 2 months 1 week ago #15892

• Quoddy99
  • Junior Boarder
Update: Received the setup yesterday and did the assembly. Took my reasonably sharp EDC, a Chris Reeve small Sebenza and hit it with the 600, 800, and 1000 diamond's before letting it rest. Having never used Choseras before, I reviewed Tom Blodgett (of Jende Industries) videos twice before I broke them out today. At this point, let me thank Bob at Oldawan for suggesting I put the 1000/5000 and 3000/10000 together in that order... it sure made pre-soaks a lot easier. Only spent about a half hour working with the Choseras, then tested the edge. Yes, it is shaving sharp, even though I didn't go further than the stones. I suspect that the knife would be even sharper if I'd both extended the exposure to each stone and then stropped it, but that can wait until another day. For now, it's already the sharpest knife I've ever had.
Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by Quoddy99.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge, leomitch

Choosing a fairly full WE setup - Requesting input 2 months 1 week ago #15897

• leomitch
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 205
Hi Will
If this was my first sharpening with the WEPS, I would have started from scratch, carefully raised a burr and done the whole thing at my chosen angle. I would wager with little fear that your wonderful knife would have been even sharper. Hair splitting sharp perhaps.
Also you might want to read carefully the posted thread on distressing the edge...it holds some excellent advice from some very knowledgeable people. Priceless stuff for all sharpeners.
My two sense worth!

Cheers
Leo
Never go anywhere without your knife!
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell

Choosing a fairly full WE setup - Requesting input 2 months 1 week ago #15900

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 181
A couple of pointers... 1. Get and use an angle cube to measure exact angles, especially when transitioning from the diamonds to the choseras... 2. when transitioning to the strop, lower your angle by two degrees per side. This will prevent rounding at the apex. You should get scary sharp edges keeping these and other point in mind. Keep us posted!
The following user(s) said Thank You: leomitch, Quoddy99

Choosing a fairly full WE setup - Requesting input 2 months 1 week ago #15901

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 197
One word of advice with Choseras they are essentially splash & go stones . There is a guy virtuvoice on you tube that has had problems with cracking with the Choseras & Shaptons since they are mounted they tend to not dry evenly; do not dry them artificially , or in sunlight or let them freeze do not clean with warm water it was suggested to wakko to wrap them in towels to dry them don't put them into plastic boxes until they are dry.
They really do not need lots of water . When you get full size Choseras they come with a small stone to rub over them pre use when wet to produce a little slurry it helps to get them going you can rub the two together alternatively.
Also remember to flatten them since if they are not flat they will not work properly on the WE.
There was a number of threads on flattening them on the forum otherwise look on You tube . Essentially get a pencil and draw a criss cross pattern across the surface then if you do not have a diamond bench stone then use the 1k diamond plates and do a sort of figure of eight motion on them until all the pencil lines are gone turning them around half way through it is best to flatten them each time they are to be used -(less to remove otherwise it can get depressing if you can see a hollow it can be a lot of stone to remove so doing it after each time they are used has two advantages it is quick and it does not feel as if you are wasting precious stone). It is also recommended as with bench stones to take the corners off them so put a 45Ëš bevel around them it stops the edges from chipping!
So dunk them under water for a couple of seconds before use and then either spray the with a water spray as you use them or let drips of water run off your finger tips onto them don't remove the slurry .
Lastly as razor edge mentions they will be thicker than the diamond plates and also the ceramics and the strops are all differing thicknesses so it is important to angst the angles to compensate WE are about to release SWATS which are what the drill stop collar is to the EP this will make changing different stone mediums much quicker .
Also drop the strops by 2Ëš so as to not remove the sharp edge .
The following user(s) said Thank You: leomitch, Quoddy99

Choosing a fairly full WE setup - Requesting input 2 months 1 week ago #15902

• Quoddy99
  • Junior Boarder
I should have mentioned that I had a reasonable angle and sharpness prior to starting by previously using an EP up to 800 and 2000 tape sans angle cube. I'm now using an Accuremote angle cube, checking after each stone change, and have put a slight convex edge on the Sebbie. I have a tray for the Choseras and use a 1/4" water depth for soaking prior to use, as well as a very light spray bottle. I used the "slurry rub" prior to initial use, and am drying them at room temperature in a small cardboard box. I had not noted about stropping at a 2° angle reduction, so will do that when I reach that point. Thanks to all.
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds