Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Touch Ups on the WE

Touch Ups on the WE 8 months 2 weeks ago #13147

• LeoBarr
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 197
A lot of people who steel overzealously start near the heel of the knife which also means they exert maximum pressure there so the knife gets worn most at this point which means that if the edge is laid flat on a board there will be an area of the knife that does not touch the board which renders that part of the knife useless .
Often it is best to virtually ignore this part of the blade when using a steel and to be careful even when sharpening since to remove the hollow necessitates re-profiling almost two thirds of the knife.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: philter

Touch Ups on the WE 2 months 6 days ago #16035

• Geocyclist
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 102
Did a touch up today, a little more than just a "touch up" though.

Resharpened a Benchmade Ritter Mini Grip in S30V. I felt sharp to the finger tips, but no longer carved up phone book or receipt paper.

Clamped it in the vice, pretty quick, looked up my settings and about 30 seconds to get it clamped in. This has always been the one part I disliked at about the WEPS was how much time I have to spend setting up a new knife, getting the position just right, finding the sweet spot, etc.

However, once you do it the first time all future set ups are a breeze.

I "distressed" the edge by rubbing an old ceramic stick on the edge with moderate pressure for 5 stokes. I could feel a burr (edge roll) after doing this.

Next I started with 800# diamonds. I didn't think I was making progress so dropped down to 600's. These started cutting steel right away. Then 800, 1000 diamonds. Then 400 -> 1000 Choseras. After the 400 chosera it was really sharp. When I was done it was scary sharp to the touch. I don't remember it being this sharp the first time. I ran 5m strops in leather and balsa and that was it. Didn't feel like spending time on a heavy user EDC to go through all of the Choseras and strops.

If you think the WEPS is amazing on the first sharpening you haven't seen anything until to sharpen a knife for the 2nd time. It is just so easy and efficient. I like sharpening on the WEPS. Sometimes I just want to get a knife sharp and back in use.
The following user(s) said Thank You: EamonMcGowan

Touch Ups on the WE 2 months 6 days ago #16037

• EamonMcGowan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 184
Geocyclist wrote:
Next I started with 800# diamonds. I didn't think I was making progress so dropped down to 600's. These started cutting steel right away. Then 800, 1000 diamonds. Then 400 -> 1000 Choseras. After the 400 chosera it was really sharp. When I was done it was scary sharp to the touch. I don't remember it being this sharp the first time. I ran 5m strops in leather and balsa and that was it. Didn't feel like spending time on a heavy user EDC to go through all of the Choseras and strop

Geo,
I'm really curious as to your reason behind your progression? (I swear I'm not being a smart ass) Whey start at 800/1000 then drop back to 400 chosera? The reason I ask is a lot of times (lets say I want mirror?) I will work up to 1000 diamond then transition to chosera 800 or mostly 1000 chosera and up from there? Are you cleaning up the edge to recreate the burr? Curious??? Always looking to learn a new trick.
Thank you, Eamon
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!

Touch Ups on the WE 2 months 6 days ago #16039

• Mikedoh
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 84
Not Geo. sorry for butting in, but think dropping low with the Choseras gives more polish.
The following user(s) said Thank You: EamonMcGowan

Touch Ups on the WE 2 months 6 days ago #16040

• EamonMcGowan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
Mikedoh wrote:
Not Geo. sorry for butting in, but think dropping low with the Choseras gives more polish.
Mike your not butting in here? We are all friends. (I hope) Okay I have not tried to get more polish that way? But I'm going to give that a try tomorrow even if I have to dull a knife! :S
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!

Touch Ups on the WE 2 months 6 days ago #16042

• Mikedoh
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 84
Eamon, somewhere I've read that you get a better polish when dropping to the lower grit water stones , and restarting a progression with them.

If my understanding is correct, the Choseras breakdown and release grit that inturn creates a polishing slurry and helps erase/polish the edge. Let the diamonds do the hard work, then come back with a lower grit waterstone and start polishing away the diamond scratches. More polish, and less work(I think) for a mirrored edge. Less wear and tear on the water stones.

As always, defer to my betters

Touch Ups on the WE 2 months 5 days ago #16052

• EamonMcGowan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
Mike,
Thank you very much! Now that you have said that outloud I seem to faintly recall that myself???? I'm going to put it to the test latter today. :unsure: I'm sure you guys are right and it will turn out better! As a young man I had to learn everything by being beaten with a 2"X4". Now I like to listen and learn. :woohoo:

Touch Ups on the WE 2 months 5 days ago #16060

• Geocyclist
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 102
This has always been my progression - 1000# the 400 Choseras.

"I don't always use Chosera's, but when I do I always start with 400's" Stay thirsty my friends. B)

I don't have the grit specs here by memory.

What I have learned from experience is that the 400 Chosera's are black (more than the other Choseras) after use. Visually the edge is definitely much more polished to the naked eye. I have a 10x lupe, but no scopes. I can't say if the edge is more or less refined.

While I have never "mixed" stones in progression, I can say based on feel (stone feedback) and appearance that I would not want to go diamonds, chosera, back to diamonds, then more choseras.

All that being said I think Mike said it better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LeoBarr
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds