Stropping Discussions
  • Page:

TOPIC: Reloading Used Strops

Reloading Used Strops 7 months 1 week ago #13954

• DARRELLALLEN
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35
EamonMcGowan wrote:
Darrell, For what it is worth and that's not much? :lol: I really like the balsa strops as well. If you get some spare coin try the 14/10 balsa. I was amazed at what a difference they make before using other strops or by themselves? I also really like the way they feel. ;)

thanks Eamon.........the 14 / 10's are next on my list for sure. B)

On a little side note........on the Kershaw Shuffle 3800 I posted a pic of a couple weeks ago......I used it yesterday to cut some plastic banding strapping material from some pallets that came in from one of our vendors, and completely wrecked the edge........it dulled it to where it would not push cut...or even cut paper at all, and it rolled the edge to one side, effectively forming a slight burr........now I am wondering if for utilitarian cutting like that, if a more toothy, non thinned and highly polished edge is the ticket ? Seems like the highly polished / stropped edges are more suited to slicing. :unsure:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Reloading Used Strops 7 months 6 days ago #13957

• EamonMcGowan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 184
Here is what I have found out? I have been sharpening for some folks that use a knife for work. Contractors and a pizza shop. The fancy high grit finishes slice like crazy and shave arm hair. But my edges that I have done don't hold well in their work places? When I sharpen to 600 or 800 and strop with the 14/10um balsa they rave about the edge! They cut those plastic bands, cardboard, veggies and say keep it coming. Personally I really like the 800>14/10 balsa the best!
They pick up their knife, shave their arms, smile from ear to ear and then tell me latter how great it cuts! Now ymmv but that is my experience so far? And if anyone wants to chime in and teach a better way? I'm all ears? :)
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LeoBarr
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds