Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Do's and Don't flier

Do's and Don't flier 8 months 3 weeks ago #12895

• JedBowen
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
I graduated from Santa Maria High School in 1994 and Used to hang out in SLO quite often. When I was there the only place we used to shoot was out HYW 155 heading out from Santa Maria to Bakersfield in a valley or out on some ranchers property. Good to hear that there is a big range there. If I go back home I will defiantly have to stop in to say hello then talk guns and knives. I so miss the Central Coast often then I remember how much things cost back there, then I do not miss it as much.
I also miss the days of working on the gun range here in Ga. Hell getting paid to shoot and help others shoot was a great gig.
Glad to know our motives are the same as I am sure they are the same for most of us here.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Do's and Don't flier 8 months 3 weeks ago #12896

• EamonMcGowan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 184
JedBowen wrote:
I graduated from Santa Maria High School in 1994 and Used to hang out in SLO quite often. When I was there the only place we used to shoot was out HYW 155 heading out from Santa Maria to Bakersfield in a valley or out on some ranchers property. Good to hear that there is a big range there. If I go back home I will defiantly have to stop in to say hello then talk guns and knives. I so miss the Central Coast often then I remember how much things cost back there, then I do not miss it as much.
I also miss the days of working on the gun range here in Ga. Hell getting paid to shoot and help others shoot was a great gig.
Glad to know our motives are the same as I am sure they are the same for most of us here.

PM sent
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!

Do's and Don't flier 8 months 3 weeks ago #12956

• ApexGS
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 51
This is a really great idea, and I can't believe I missed this thread! When I first started gunsmithing I whipped up a flier that had a large, important looking notice across the top similar to those you see when buying used guns or at auction telling the buyer to have the gun checked by a competent gunsmith. The hook was "have you ever seen this message before?" and that now they knew where to find a competent gunsmith :)

I also included a couple of coupons on the flyer but honestly have never had one used in three years... go figure. I doubt coupons would do much for a sharpening gig, but maybe as mentioned earlier a volume discount of sorts could be a draw!
Your friendly neighborhood gunsmith!
- Tom
The following user(s) said Thank You: EamonMcGowan

Do's and Don't flier 8 months 3 weeks ago #12958

• EamonMcGowan
  • Platinum Boarder
ApexGS wrote:
This is a really great idea, and I can't believe I missed this thread! When I first started gunsmithing I whipped up a flier that had a large, important looking notice across the top similar to those you see when buying used guns or at auction telling the buyer to have the gun checked by a competent gunsmith. The hook was "have you ever seen this message before?" and that now they knew where to find a competent gunsmith :)

I also included a couple of coupons on the flyer but honestly have never had one used in three years... go figure. I doubt coupons would do much for a sharpening gig, but maybe as mentioned earlier a volume discount of sorts could be a draw!

Apex your a marketing guy, can you help me think up a few more do's and don'ts? :unsure:
By the way thank you very much!! :woohoo:
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!

Do's and Don't flier 8 months 3 weeks ago #12999

• ApexGS
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 51
I'll put some thought into it over the weekend, and could work on a template with some of the info we compile as the copy text so folks can tweak or rework it however they like but don't have to design it from scratch.

Maybe a quick list of "did you know?" type things that aren't especially common knowledge, like Clay's findings that an expertly sharpened knife actually cuts cleaner and extends the shelf life of produce versus a dull knife. Little things like that help; people will look at them and realize maybe there's more to having a sharp knife than the possibility of nicking themselves with it :) Some other things that I have on my sharpening page of my website include properly sharpened blades staying sharper for longer, being able to tune the angle and finish for your usage, etc.

Personally my sharpening hangup flyer at these flea markets and such has a giant bold heading asking potential customers "HOW SHARP IS YOUR KNIFE?". You'd be surprised how few people can answer that, and how many more think a butter knife is adequately sharp! Attention grabbers are a great way to at least get people to take a look, and like I mentioned in another thread actually being there sharpening something (even if it's a dollar store made in china kitchen knife you bought just to wreck over and over) will help draw attention too.
Your friendly neighborhood gunsmith!
- Tom
The following user(s) said Thank You: LeoBarr

Do's and Don't flier 8 months 3 weeks ago #13008

• EamonMcGowan
  • Platinum Boarder
ApexGS wrote:
I'll put some thought into it over the weekend, and could work on a template with some of the info we compile as the copy text so folks can tweak or rework it however they like but don't have to design it from scratch.

Maybe a quick list of "did you know?" type things that aren't especially common knowledge, like Clay's findings that an expertly sharpened knife actually cuts cleaner and extends the shelf life of produce versus a dull knife. Little things like that help; people will look at them and realize maybe there's more to having a sharp knife than the possibility of nicking themselves with it :) Some other things that I have on my sharpening page of my website include properly sharpened blades staying sharper for longer, being able to tune the angle and finish for your usage, etc.

Personally my sharpening hangup flyer at these flea markets and such has a giant bold heading asking potential customers "HOW SHARP IS YOUR KNIFE?". You'd be surprised how few people can answer that, and how many more think a butter knife is adequately sharp! Attention grabbers are a great way to at least get people to take a look, and like I mentioned in another thread actually being there sharpening something (even if it's a dollar store made in china kitchen knife you bought just to wreck over and over) will help draw attention too.

Apex, way to go! Thank you just the stuff I'm looking for! In advertising sales I read you have less the something like 2 seconds to get there attention? Less than that to keep it? Attention grabbers, anything like that?
Anyone Have a thought an idea? The littlest thing can turn into magic. I've seen it before when a group gets together and brainstorms the magic happens. My first father in law was an extremely wealthy man. Rags to riches story. When he had a new product he would ask everyone their opinion, even the grandchildren. He said you never know where a good idea will come from? PLEASE everyone throw out your ideas!
Thank you Apex and everyone else.
Eamon

Do's and Don't flier 8 months 3 weeks ago #13012

• cbwx34
  • WE Stonehenge?
  • Thank you received: 390
ApexGS wrote:

To something like this I would add... a sharp knife makes cutting easier (less force, more control, etc.).

Do's and Don't flier 8 months 1 week ago #13220

• EamonMcGowan
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi Guys,
Well sorry it has taken some time to get a new flier up. Health has been not so good so only so much gets done each day? :(
I did attempt to listen to everyone's comment/suggestion and use them all. :whistle: Please go ahead and pick out what you like and dislike and I shall go from there? Remember this is a work in progress and that I'm trying to get something in their hands that might get stuck on the refrigerator or in the junk drawer? B)
I still can not figure out how to host this at Photobucket so I only have the link. :unsure:
If things stay on target it looks like I will be doing our local Farmers market with surrounding towns to follow up in about 3-4 weeks? :woohoo:
Thank you one and all,
Eamon

File Attachment:

File Name: h68d4beb.pdf
File Size: 44 KB
The following user(s) said Thank You: DARRELLALLEN

Do's and Don't flier 8 months 1 week ago #13222

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 197
I like your flyer Eamon a possible refinement could be most Japanese knives are not designed for chopping they are slicers.
Come to think of it as well knives should be rinsed as soon as possible when cutting acidic foods like onions , fruit etc since the acid actually dulls the edge.

In conversation you may add food lasts longer cut with a sharp knife since the cells are cut rather than smashed if you cut an apple with a blunt knife a lot more juice will be lost and if you do another slice with a sharp knife the sharp slice will oxidise at a slower rate.
I think Clay has brought this up somewhere.
Last Edit: 8 months 1 week ago by LeoBarr. Reason: additions
The following user(s) said Thank You: EamonMcGowan, DARRELLALLEN

Do's and Don't flier 8 months 1 week ago #13223

• cbwx34
  • WE Stonehenge?
  • Thank you received: 390
You have a couple of spelling errors...
  • magnetite should be magnetic (unless that's a brand or something?)
  • Bladesmith is one word. (I'm not sure if that's a good suggestion... how many people know a reputable bladesmith? Maybe reputable dealer?)

• Not sure you want to suggest they try and cut it in half, if it's something you hope they'll keep? ;)
    The following user(s) said Thank You: EamonMcGowan
    Time to create page: 0.155 seconds