Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Knife Photos

TOPIC: Bet you're not EDCing one of these....

Re: Bet you're not EDCing one of these.... 1 year 2 months ago #12355

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 238
The profiles vary mine is quite curved. I imagine the straight ones are more adapt for push or draw cutting . In Japan these knives are used from children and upwards so they are designed to do most things from sharpening pencils ,opening parcels or cutting cords.They were what I would call an everyman knife cheaper relatively than a swiss army knife and easy to maintain no springs just a riveted slip joint simplicity in itself. I hope that helps you can probable get one direct from the website I put in an earlier post if you go for one with a plain brass handle and a normal carbon blade they are around 30$ I am sure you can probable get much cheaper ones in Japanese hardware stores if you can either find them online or know someone in Japan. I hope that helps you.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Bet you're not EDCing one of these.... 1 year 2 months ago #12358

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
LeoBarr wrote:
Incidentally where did you get that fine knife I like the fact it is a mini Yanagiba in grind and that it is either Hitachi (i think blue or white steel ). My Higonokami sharpens so easily been carbon steel so I don't mind what I use it for (excluding using the blade to scrape paint off or as a screw driver) its a real utility knife (it is the cheaper white steel).

Your knife is exceptional to me although is it possible a carpenters knife?

I got it from Japan Woodworker... available in right hand or left hand models. :)

(The Higonokami's are also listed there.... Higonokami knives ... in a few different lengths.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: LeoBarr

Re: Bet you're not EDCing one of these.... 1 year 2 months ago #12359

• cbwx34
mark76 wrote:
Leo an Curtis, I googled and Wikipediad Higonokami. I love the idea of a folding pocket knive in Hitachi carbon steel. What strikes me is that nearly all of these knives seem to have a long straight (or at least not very curved) bevel. That seems unpractical to me. What do you think?

I think what's probably more unpractical is not the blade, but the handle. It's basically just a brass "cover" that's not very strong... so it wouldn't hold up to very hard cutting. I don't think the blade shape is an issue.

I've often thought about putting the blade in a different handle, but never have gotten around to it.

Blade's sorta similar to a Leek... :cheer:

HIgoLeek01.jpg

HigoLeek02.jpg

:)

Re: Bet you're not EDCing one of these.... 1 year 2 months ago #12629

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
I found the Higonokami source a Japanese web site with all sorts of links to other knives as well - dangerous they do mail order & the site is easy to follow if you have google translate in your browser.
I shall not be getting anything for a while but I would like to get a heavy Debe one day in the mean time I make do with this one.
hc1dbd6f.jpg

Re: Bet you're not EDCing one of these.... 1 year 2 months ago #12647

• mark76
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 402
You're right, Curtis. That Leek is extremely practical :cheer: .

Re: Bet you're not EDCing one of these.... 1 year 2 months ago #12653

• cbwx34
mark76 wrote:
You're right, Curtis. That Leek is extremely practical :cheer: .
A comparison I figured you could relate too. :cheer:

LeoBarr wrote:
I shall not be getting anything for a while but I would like to get a heavy Debe one day in the mean time I make do with this one.
hc1dbd6f.jpg

Make do? Now I want to see the one you want. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

:)

Re: Bet you're not EDCing one of these.... 1 year 2 months ago #12657

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
he3621a7.png

This is what I would really like perhaps I will find a second hand one new this is around 75.000 Yen which would take a lot of justification with SWMBO or a lot of handbags or shoes
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by LeoBarr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cbwx34

Re: Bet you're not EDCing one of these.... 1 year 2 months ago #12664

• mark76
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 402
LeoBarr wrote:
or a lot of handbags or shoes

:lol:

Re: Bet you're not EDCing one of these.... 1 year 2 months ago #12665

• EamonMcGowan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 200
LeoBarr wrote:
he3621a7.png

This is what I would really like perhaps I will find a second hand one new this is around 75.000 Yen which would take a lot of justification with SWMBO or a lot of handbags or shoes

With the last SWMBO I found out her favorite designer of handbags was "Kate Spade" my OCD then was a Harley and when I knew I was going to drop a wad? I found a purse to be very helpful! :evil: :whistle: ;)
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!

Re: Bet you're not EDCing one of these.... 1 year 2 months ago #12666

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
I have already had to pay off SWMBO for the next year or so in view of the purchase of the WE with a Vivienne Westwood bag so I think the purchase of the Debe is a pipe dream unless I find a second hand one on e-bay
hb033fd3.JPG
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds