Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the optional forum header for the Suggestion Box.

TOPIC: Accessory for avoiding strops cross-contamination?

Re: Accessory for avoiding strops cross-contamination? 1 year 4 months ago #10825

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 646
Mikedoh wrote:
Wondering if there are any updates re plastic strop covers?

Good question. I've mentioned it to our factory and it's easy enough to do. I need to find a good draftsman to make the drawings to send off.
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikedoh

Re: Accessory for avoiding strops cross-contamination? 1 year 4 months ago #10826

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
These would be great for the leather strops carrying them in the new case. :)

Re: Accessory for avoiding strops cross-contamination? 1 year 4 months ago #10831

• EamonMcGowan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 200
I would buy those in a heart beat! Mine are kept in a zip lock bags right now. Those little case would be great!!
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!

Re: Accessory for avoiding strops cross-contamination? 1 year 4 months ago #10833

• JamesBare
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I would definitely get some to cover my strops as well instead of a plastic bag
I need to catch more fish so I have an excuse to resharpen my fillet knives :-D

Re: Accessory for avoiding strops cross-contamination? 1 year 3 months ago #10834

• AlekseiDyachkov
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Good question. I've mentioned it to our factory and it's easy enough to do. I need to find a good draftsman to make the drawings to send off.

I've sent to you original 3d-model a while ago. Could you make anything out of it ?
May the honorable owners of the knives have the prosperous and healthy lives filled with everlasting happiness.

Re: Accessory for avoiding strops cross-contamination? 1 year 3 months ago #10835

• wickededge
  • Administrator
AlekseiDyachkov wrote:

I've sent to you original 3d-model a while ago. Could you make anything out of it ?

I sent those along to the factory but they need dimensions, tolerances etc... I just need to find someone that can take what you drew and turn it into a IGES or STEP file with the correct dimensions. I might be able to do it myself but it would be a lot of trial and error. It's one thing to design for machining, which I do all the time and another to design something which is going to be molded.
--Clay Allison

Re: Accessory for avoiding strops cross-contamination? 1 year 3 months ago #10968

• wickededge
  • Administrator
Making progress on this idea. I've got a 3D printer on order and am tasting the irony of being on the other end of a backorder for a product I'm really excited about :) When it comes in, I should be able to print this part for testing and see if the dimensions/tolerances are right for a good, snug fit.

Here are the drawings I've done so far:

StoneAssemblywithCoverOn.jpg

StoneAssemblywithCover.jpg

TrayCoverBottom.jpg

My thought is to make them in colors corresponding to the tray colors so it's easy to tell which stone/strop they belong to.

I have a question for everyone: Would you use these covers with the stones too? And if so, would you use them w/ Chosera stones? I'm thinking of making them deep enough to fit over the Choseras but don't want to build in that much play unless enough people think they'd use them for the thicker stones.
--Clay Allison

Re: Accessory for avoiding strops cross-contamination? 1 year 3 months ago #10969

• Mikedoh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 117
3D printer. Very cool.
I don't think I'd use the covers for stones or Choseras.

Looking forward to getting covers for strops though .
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge

Re: Accessory for avoiding strops cross-contamination? 1 year 3 months ago #10974

• Geocyclist
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 157
I would use these for Choseras, not for cross contamination, but for protection. If these are soft plastic/rubber, they would give some protection against dropping.

Re: Accessory for avoiding strops cross-contamination? 1 year 3 months ago #10976

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
I would think that they would have a good deal of utility for the Chosera stones.
I have dropped different grits on an occasion or two. When I dropped one of the 10K stones and knocked a corner off of it... Well that hurt my feelings. BTW, that was after I used it and was trying to get it into a Ziploc bag...
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds