Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the optional forum header for the Suggestion Box.
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Longer Arms for Pro PackII & Low Angle Adapter

New Longer Arms for Pro PackII & Low Angle Adapter 11 months 3 weeks ago #13809

• LeoBarr
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 237
I am awaiting my WE but I currently have an EP and it was recommended that I use 3m spray glue to mount the stones to an aluminium plate I bought something similar in Spain but I found shaking the can for 2 minutes at a time and then clearing the nozzle tedious so I use normal contact adhesive it works well and when the stones are shot I pop them in to a saucepan & simmer them for a minute or so then I can lift the spent stones off clean the plate ( I use an aluminium wire dish cleaner to clear the glue off the plate )then mount a new stone.
If you use epoxy two pack glue yes it sticks well but you can never remove it .
Contact adhesive is good and very inexpensive .
The administrator has disabled public write access.

New Longer Arms for Pro PackII & Low Angle Adapter 11 months 3 weeks ago #13818

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
I actually wonder about what Leo said also.... I've used 3M77 spray on EP stones and have left them soaking for weeks in water without issue. Is there a difference between those stones and ceramics?

New Longer Arms for Pro PackII & Low Angle Adapter 11 months 3 weeks ago #13819

• wickededge
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 640
R.JeffreyCoates wrote:
I'm not an engineer but it would seem that to prevent the water from migrating through the stone you would need to seal all sides, even the side being used to sharpen.

The adhesion promoter creates an impermeable layer on the underside of the stone, so the water can soak through the stone until it hits that layer, and then it stops. The tape bonds to the impermeable layer and works as well as if were bonded to our metal or glass plates. At least this is what the 3M people are telling us. We'll do a lot of testing once the samples come in.
--Clay Allison

New Longer Arms for Pro PackII & Low Angle Adapter 11 months 3 weeks ago #13824

• DARRELLALLEN
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35
wickededge wrote:
We use 3M 4932 VHB tape for mounting diamond plates to the handles and it's pretty bombproof, so if you're mounting aluminum or steel backed stones, that tape is awesome. We've been struggling to find the right adhesive for mounting the ceramics. We've tried a few that our local distributor recommended but they haven't worked as well as needed. The ceramics are hydrophilic, meaning they love water and absorb it. Once the stones absorb enough water, it interrupts the bond between the tape and the stone. We had the 3M guys out last week and went through all our products and applications. They've got some new tapes and an adhesive promoter that they're sending out to us to try. The adhesive promoter seals the surface of the stone, giving the tape a surface to which it can establish a super strong bond. I'll report back once we've tested the new products.

So far Clay, my super fine ceramics that came off the platens a while back, and that I told you I used a thin coat of medium CA glue to re-adhere them, has held up just fine.......no more issues. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds