Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Caring for your exotic wood knife handles

Caring for your exotic wood knife handles 7 months 4 weeks ago #15707

• leomitch
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 210
After my wife inadvertently put two of my precious French Chambriard folders through the dishwasher, I went looking for something to protect and renew my exotic wood knife slabs. The dishwasher is very unkind to Curly Norwegian Birch and Olive wood handles. :woohoo:
My friend Randy Chinn uses Tom's Gun Stock Wax and so I figured I could do no better than to try this stuff made in Pearland Texas for a mere 10 dollars for a 4 ounce jar. It took a short 4 days for the package to arrive way up here in Canada...well done USPS!
I followed the instructions, but be aware that you might want to do this waxing in a well ventilated place. Apply generously by hand; let set for 30 to 40 minutes; rub with a soft cloth; reapply after 8 to 10 hours; reapply for two or three coats and you will be rewarded with a soft deep glow; a non slippery coating that enhances the natural grain of the wood and which will protect and renew wood that has been somewhat damaged like mine were in the dishwasher.
This stuff is worth its weight in gold. Use it and you will have not only a razor sharp knife, but one that looks and feels good in the hand.
Do you have any tips on caring for your knives and tackle associated with your knives, that others might find useful. Share them please.

Cheers
Leo
Never go anywhere without your knife!
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Geocyclist, GibCurry

Caring for your exotic wood knife handles 7 months 4 weeks ago #15708

• Quoddy99
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 36
In the same category, for years, I've used Renaissance Micro-Crystalline Wax Polish on my upper end gun stocks and also on my better knife handles. Expensive, but works very well giving a protective and shined finish while not reducing grip.
The following user(s) said Thank You: leomitch

Caring for your exotic wood knife handles 7 months 4 weeks ago #15709

• leomitch
  • Administrator
Thanks mate! Good stuff! Can you order this wax online?

Here is the web address for the stuff I mentioned
thegunstockdoctor.com/

Leo
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell
Last Edit: 7 months 4 weeks ago by leomitch.

Caring for your exotic wood knife handles 7 months 4 weeks ago #15710

• leomitch
  • Administrator
Here is the stuff Quoddy specified. You can get it on Amazon for $23 .

www.amazon.com/Renaissance-Micro-Crystal...ish-65/dp/B001DSZWEM

Leo
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell

Caring for your exotic wood knife handles 7 months 4 weeks ago #15717

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 239
I make a butter for my boardsmith end grain cutting board it consists of vaseline oil (unperformed) heat the oil over a pan of boiling water say about a cupful then get about a quarter of a fist of beeswax and melt it in once it is cold it should look like a sort of butter and be reasonable soft so you can dollop it onto the wood using your fingers . Both the oil and the beeswax are cheap and it is odourless.
The following user(s) said Thank You: leomitch

Caring for your exotic wood knife handles 7 months 4 weeks ago #15720

• leomitch
  • Administrator
Yes odorless is good. The smell of the turpentine is a bit much with the Tom's Military Wax, but it dissipates fairly quickly. I like the soft deep glow that it gives to the wood without being glossy. It really makes the grain even more beautiful than it was.
Does your mixture last for some time or does it need to be repeated regularly to keep up the protection and look. I imagine the grain of the wood would be enhanced with your 'butter' too.

Leo
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell

Caring for your exotic wood knife handles 7 months 4 weeks ago #15721

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 239
It penetrates the wood it is not like a polish it drys more like satin I guess you could buff it up but since it has more the consistency of butter it feeds rather than polishes a straight wax is likely to be much thicker and will take a lot more work to make it penetrate the wood.

Caring for your exotic wood knife handles 7 months 4 weeks ago #15733

• leomitch
  • Administrator
Hi Leo
This sounds very much like what happens with the Tom's Gun Stock 1/3 Natural Wax. I suspect that the addition of boiled linseed oil and turps might give it deeper penetration into the wood than the Vaseline butter mix. On the other hand the butter is easy to make and cheap so it can be reapplied more easily over time. For indoor use such as your wooden base or a piece of furniture, it sounds great.
The Finnish army uses the Tom's formula for their rifle stocks so they are protected from the harsh treatment they receive from general military use and the severe winters and hot summers they are subjected to. So I am thinking for a knife handle that is used outdoors for general camp use, hunting and perhaps survival situations, the Tom's Military Wax may be the ticket.
Both will make any wood look good while at the same time protecting it from normal usage.

Leo
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell

Caring for your exotic wood knife handles 7 months 3 weeks ago #15851

• leomitch
  • Administrator
It just dawned on me. that one could take Leo Barr's Vaseline Butter and add some turpentine and boiled linseed oil and experiment a bit with amounts. You would then have your own penetrating protection for knife handles or any other fine wood. It certainly wouldn't be very expensive. Just a thought. Thanks once again Leo for the tip.

Leo
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell

Caring for your exotic wood knife handles 7 months 3 weeks ago #15853

• mark76
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 421
I don't know if you guys have experience with boiled linseed oil ("boiled" means more than boiling - at 275 degrees C - the stuff also has some turpentine added). This it what nearly everyone I know uses - including myself.

Does Tom's formula or Leo's formula work better/different?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds