Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hogue EX-4

Re:Hogue EX-4 2 months 2 weeks ago #15666

• mark76
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 306
Davidghemail wrote:
Mark, have u ever sharpened yours on the WEPS? I did last night and it took about a 16th of an inch straight off the tip. It no longer has the same tip geometry. I used good technique and didn't round the tip but I think the recurve was too much and it clipped it off. Have u had the same experience? Thanks!

Yes, I sharpened it on the WE and the geometry remained pretty much the same. The trick is to place the blade in the vice at the correct point. See for example here and here.

I am sorry to hear you took a piece off the tip. I think the key is to use litte pressure. Clay also did a video on sharpening tanto blades. It's here
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge, Davidghemail

Re:Hogue EX-4 2 months 2 weeks ago #15667

• Davidghemail
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Thanks Mark. No worries, the knife is still functional and razor sharp! I never thought about treating it like a tanto blade. With a tanto there is a clear mark of delineation between the straight edge and the tip. With this knife, not so much, so I never thought about coming from a different sharpening angle. I believe I had it placed in the vice correctly as my bevel is very even all the way across the blade. Do you have the 3.5" or 4"? What distance setting were you at in the vice? I will have more practice with this knife in the future as I plan on getting a few more. I love the feel in hand and the blade shape. Solid knife all around and beautiful work of art!

Davidghemail
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds