Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Wicked Edge forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC: uneven bevels?

Re: uneven bevels? 1 year 10 months ago #6402

• BrianLedford
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Scott Sherman wrote:
I have noticed a weird phenomenon occur which seems to be a constant. When I mount a knife on the riser clamp in the PP2 and set the angle of the guide rods with the stones in place to say 18 or 20 or whatever angle I decide, the width of the bevel is wider on one side than the other. That is the width measured from the apex of the edge to the bottom of the shoulder of the bevel.

I know that the clamp only moves on one side which causes you to have to compensate and use the angle cube to determine the correct angle, however using the angle cube and very carefully checking both sides to be sure they are exactly the same, (say 18 degrees for example), it seems like the bevel should be exactly the same size on both. I can't seem to understand why this happens. I am not math wiz but it seems like they should be the same. Yet they are definitely not, even just by eyeballing them, without calipers, it is clearly different.

Any ideas? Is it human error or is there just a difference due to the riser clamp not being centered evenly between the rods?

Do you have the same experience or is it just me?

I have noticed the same problem..
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:uneven bevels? 8 months 1 week ago #15124

• Davidghemail
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Great input everyone, but I have a question. Say I want to correct the bevel problem all at once. If I set my angles at the same 20 degrees to start and then start grinding down on the short bevel side to correct, occasionally knocking the burr off the long side and eventually moving my edge over to center, correcting the bevel, won't I then at that point have to reset my angles on the previous short side before I start polishing as they would probably not match at that point due to moving the center of the edge? Anyone have experience with that? Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re:uneven bevels? 8 months 1 week ago #15141

• Davidghemail
  • Junior Boarder
Anyone? :-)

Re:uneven bevels? 8 months 1 week ago #15142

• Mikedoh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 117
I did a search on "even bevels" , and one of the threads was
www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=c...itstart=0&Itemid=271

This may give you some good info.

In answer to your question, I don't think you would need to reset the angle on the previously short side. Once bevels are even on both sides, alternating or equal number of strokes per side to polish should work.

You may also want to knock down the apex periodically while evening things out. (Blade edge perpendicular to stone edge as if trying to cut directly into the stone.)

As always I defer to my knife sharpening betters on this
The following user(s) said Thank You: Davidghemail

uneven bevels? 8 months 1 week ago #15155

• Davidghemail
  • Junior Boarder
Mikedoh wrote:
I did a search on "even bevels" , and one of the threads was
www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=c...itstart=0&Itemid=271

This may give you some good info.

In answer to your question, I don't think you would need to reset the angle on the previously short side. Once bevels are even on both sides, alternating or equal number of strokes per side to polish should work.

You may also want to knock down the apex periodically while evening things out. (Blade edge perpendicular to stone edge as if trying to cut directly into the stone.)

As always I defer to my knife sharpening betters on this

Thanks Mike! I guess I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around how the angle doesn't change when you work one side more than the other to fix an uneven bevel. I guess I'll just have to experiment until I can see it in practice. I appreciate you taking the time to look into that.
Last Edit: 8 months 1 week ago by Davidghemail.

uneven bevels? 8 months 1 week ago #15166

• xuzme720
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
It does change, but since you are moving the apex to the center of the stones, it goes from being the wrong angle to a corrected one. The arms do not need to be readjusted to accomplish that since as you move the apex to it's correct position (centered), the stones follow.
I'm not sure I'm helping. I can picture it in my head but can't seem to explain it clearly...
Particpant in finding out how sharp is sharp!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Davidghemail
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds