Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Wicked Edge forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Wicked Edge User!

New Wicked Edge User! 7 months 3 weeks ago #13810

• KnottyEagle
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello! My name is Daymon and I'm 15 (yes, I'm 15). I worked all Summer to save up for a Wicked Edge Pro Pack I and I have been very pleased with it so far. I just have a few questions to ask. First, how can I keep from rounding the tip? I'm sure this has been asked multiple times, but I find it easier to understand an answer if It's new, and not having to read through a thread. Yeah, I know It's weird :). Secondly, I was sharpening a Buck Bantam (blade steel of 420HC) and decided to bust out the strops, and this is what it left the edge looking like:

Is that normal? It's the second knife I've stropped with and I did 15 strokes per side. I didn't notice this the first knife I stropped and am a little curious. I did 15 strokes with the 5 micron strops, wiped the blade completely clean, did 15 strokes with the 3.5 micron strops and saw the green paste left on the blade.

This is what the edge looks like now after whipping everything off, and It's insanely sharp (at least to me).

The administrator has disabled public write access.

New Wicked Edge User! 7 months 3 weeks ago #13813

• Mikedoh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 85
The following user(s) said Thank You: KnottyEagle

New Wicked Edge User! 7 months 3 weeks ago #13814

• mark76
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 307
Welcome to the forum! Great you like your WEPS.

That edge sure does look good. I think you put a little too much stropping paste on your strops. It doesn’t hurt, but then it comes off on the first few stroppings. You really need only a tiny amount, say two or three pin-heads worth of stropping paste.

You can prevent rounding the edge by controlling you motion when you reach the tip. If you make sweeping motions, many people move their arms or wrist slightly inward when nearing the tip. Try to finish the motion straight ahead.

But you’re doing great already :-)

New Wicked Edge User! 7 months 2 weeks ago #13817

• cbwx34
  • WE Stonehenge?
  • Thank you received: 390
Welcome to the forum.

I take a bit of a different approach... I let the stone rotate as it follows the edge to the tip, but I stop when I reach the tip... when the stone is about 1/2 way across. Like mentioned above, if you do a sweeping motion like Clay often demos in his videos, just keep the stone straight and don't let it rotate around the tip.

After a few knives the paste will work into the leather. You can work it in with your fingers, just be careful not to cross contaminate the strops.

Looking good! :woohoo:

New Wicked Edge User! 7 months 2 weeks ago #13820

• KnottyEagle
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you everyone for the replies. They helped and for now I'm going to work on my technique and try to keep from rounding the tip.

New Wicked Edge User! 7 months 2 weeks ago #13821

• DARRELLALLEN
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35
First, let me welcome you to the forum Daymon..........this is a great bunch of guys that freely give their knowledge and advise,which is as it should be.

Second, let me just say that it shows what a well rounded and disciplined young man you already are, to know what you wanted, be willing to work hard for it ( as you know all too well, the WEPS isn't cheap..but IMHO is the best system out there ), and actually get it. That to me is proof in the pudding so to speak, that someone instilled good, solid values in you growing up. I commend you for that.

Third, I had the same issue you did with rounding the tips, and the link that Mike posted of Clay's suggestion, as well as all the other answers, are spot on, and worked for me too as I no longer round my tips. This system will give you a lot of feedback if you slow down, focus on what your feeling, and listen to what it's trying to tell you.

The blade looks great, so keep on sharpening and just have fun with it. :cheer:

New Wicked Edge User! 7 months 2 weeks ago #13829

• LeoBarr
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 199
Well done for saving up that shows a high degree of focus for someone having worked though the holidays I sure all those that matter are very proud of you . I imagine you will graduate to making knives next if you have time .
Awesome stuff!

New Wicked Edge User! 7 months 2 weeks ago #13833

• KnottyEagle
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the kind words guys. I really appreciate it :).

Today I sharpened a SOG Magnadot (crap). The blade steel is 7Cr17MoV. It's REALLY sharp! When I say something is really sharp, It's based off of my previous experiences. I know peoples definition of sharp varies, so I wanted to clarify.

Here it is (I'm extremely pleased with it):

New Wicked Edge User! 7 months 2 weeks ago #13834

• KnottyEagle
  • Fresh Boarder
I also got these edges on a Case:

New Wicked Edge User! 7 months 2 weeks ago #13836

• EamonMcGowan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 184
Welcome to the forum! Let me chime in also saying how impressed I am that you set a goal and accomplished it! Outstanding!! You are right everyone has their own definition as to what sharp is? One of the ways around here is qualified here.

coticule.be/hanging-hair-test.html

Please enjoy the read you will find it referred to here at different times? And it is just fun to make a hair "pop"!
Remember the most important part is to just have fun!
Eamon
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds