Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Just got my Chosera stones

Just got my Chosera stones 1 year 1 month ago #14030

• knives2survive
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Now that looks awesome mate! I'd love to get the Chosera's but my pocket bites my hand whenever I reach for my credit card... :(
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Just got my Chosera stones 1 year 1 month ago #14031

• johpe
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
@Eamon: yes I'm already bothering family to 'lend' me their knives.

@knives2survive: I know what you mean, I got the pp2 first and now in the end I gave in a got the Chosera stones as well, they cost too much but what I wanted to say with this thread is that if you're considering them - get them, they live up to the expectations!
The following user(s) said Thank You: DARRELLALLEN

Just got my Chosera stones 1 year 1 month ago #14034

• mark76
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 464
johpe wrote:
I gave in a got the Chosera stones as well, they cost too much but what I wanted to say with this thread is that if you're considering them - get them, they live up to the expectations!

+1

Just got my Chosera stones 1 year 1 month ago #14035

• GIMateo
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
:ohmy: wow that mirror polish is a thing of beauty. Now I have one more thing that I need, want, need, want. Some of those Chosera stones

Nice work!!!
Facts are a funny thing.
Truth is easy to know but hard to accept.
Who ever is in power writes (changes) history

Peace

Mat
The following user(s) said Thank You: johpe

Just got my Chosera stones 1 year 1 month ago #14045

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
johpe wrote:
Thanks, and especially thanks to you Bob for helping out and having the patience to answer all my questions.

Tonight I got my first HHT-4 / HHT-5 edge on a Richmond Artifex Gyuto in m390 steel at 13 degrees (much thanks to the Chosera stones)! It did not come out a perfect mirror (the steel is this one is a bit of a pain to sharpen) and it ate my roo strops as a night snack, I don't know how many times I knicked them, but in the end it became plenty sharp.

I have one of those knives.. and have been a great proponent of the Chosera stones for quite awhile. My question is, did you take the M390 through the 10K stones. If so, how does it cut ...for the things we typically use a knife like that for. As in food prep, especially slicing vegetables and meat.

I left mine at the 15 degrees that it came with and stopped after the Aotoshi 2K (which was visibly a finer finish than it came with). Stropped a little bit with 1 micron and .5 micron CBN. It is quite sharp and a great slicer in that configuration. I will be interested to hear about how far you went with it and how you like the performance... and longevity of the edge.

I am curious to know whether it could be worth it to re-profile to 13 degrees and use the finer stones.
Typically I have found that the old adage about leaving a little tooth (if 2K can be considered "toothy") on an edge for food slicing is a pretty good one. So, I am curious.

BTW.. back on topic, good decision in getting the Chosera set! In retrospect, the alternating of the grits sounds like a good thing. Efficiency is always good. I suppose I can live with the ten minute soak time breaks in the action though.... not quite worth yanking them off of the paddles to rearrange them...
:)

One last digression. What camera and settings did you use to take the picture. Quite impressive!
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by PhilipPasteur.

Just got my Chosera stones 1 year 1 month ago #14049

• johpe
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
I like the m390 steel a lot for its edge retention and sharpness and I got the Artifex in m390 since I have the Benchmade Barrage in m390 and liked it a lot.

Reprofiling the Artifex to 13 degrees was a serious amount of work, I had previously reprofiled the Barrage without much issues, but the Artifex seemed much harder (even though they should be more or less the same Rockwell hardness).

Now with the Choseras I took it all the way up to 10k and then 0.25 um CBN on roo strop. It got sharp enough to fall through a tomato if I just hold it flat in my open hand and move it forwards or backwards just a little, so whatever little teeth there might be (or not be) works very well with the 13 degree edge. Maybe if I left it more toothy it would pierce the skin of a tomato without any slicing motion at all, I haven't tried that. As for longevity I previously (b.c. (before chosera)) had it at 13 degrees with a micro fine ceramic finish and that held up really well.

I also got the Artifex petty knife in AEB-L which is a smaller knife which I use for more delicate tasks but even so that one has rolled on me a few times while the m390 has held up fine through more use and a steeper angle. If it's worth reprofiling, it I don't know, it was a lot of work for me (the coarsest stone I have is the 100 diamond).

The camera is actually just from my mobile phone a Nexus 4 (I should have gotten my real camera but it was 1.30 in the morning so I just took what was around me).

Just got my Chosera stones 1 year 3 weeks ago #14163

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 423
I just sharpened a spyderco manix xl (s30'
V) up to the 10k choseras. I alternated direction as I went to ensure all of the the previous scratches were gone. What I found was that the 10k seemed to really have trouble at erasing the 5k scratches (was viewing under my dino lite usb microscope). I don't know why this happened... You guys have any idea? I'm thinking maybe the entire blade needs to be thinned down? I did notice that I kept having to change where I put the pressure on the paddles to make sure I hit different parts of the bevel because it was so wide.
Attachments:

Just got my Chosera stones 1 year 3 weeks ago #14164

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 241
I think you've hit it on the head - the blade is speaking to you - two alternatives thin as a flat bevel or thin as a convex often the thinning bevels are not as polished and think of the benefits it will cut so much better.
It looks good though (when the bevel is to wide think of them like a wedge or shoulders they get stuck on everything also if you convex instead of flat bevels there will be only one point on the ark to catch rather than the whole bevel surface)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds