Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Atoma 140's... re-profiling made easy!

Atoma 140's... re-profiling made easy! 6 months 5 days ago #14432

• EamonMcGowan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 184
DAUG, 140 Atoma = $100.and thanks for the sonic cleaning tip! It never even dawned on me to do that?

Mark, they appear to be the same size? I did not put them on the calibers but I did not realize a difference with the angle gauge? I will double check this evening.

Josh, I will start a inventory today.
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Atoma 140's... re-profiling made easy! 6 months 4 days ago #14437

• EamonMcGowan
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi guys,
Okay I took a leap of faith today. I got to thinking about the Atoma's and decided that if a little was good? Then a lot would be wonderful! So back on the phone with Bob Nash and ordered a Atoma 600/1200 paddle combo. I justified it with that cost is same as "a morning and afternoon at the rifle/pistol range".
So give me a few days to get them in and test the theory?
I wonder which emotion it will be? :blink: ;) :woohoo:
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!

Atoma 140's... re-profiling made easy! 6 months 4 days ago #14438

• mark76
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 306
Cool, Eamon! Really interested in your experiences.

In addition to the questions asked above, I'd really like to know whether the jump from 600 grit to 1200 grit is not too large.

Atoma 140's... re-profiling made easy! 6 months 4 days ago #14439

• EamonMcGowan
  • Platinum Boarder
mark76 wrote:

In addition to the questions asked above, I'd really like to know whether the jump from 600 grit to 1200 grit is not too large.

Wondering myself? Decided to roll the dice? The worst that can happen is they work for texturing my waterstones and or different blade grinds? Like I said though I shoot this much in ammo at least once a week and with that all I have is empty brass. :blink:

Atoma 140's... re-profiling made easy! 6 months 4 days ago #14444

• mark76
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
EamonMcGowan wrote:
Mark, they appear to be the same size? I did not put them on the calibers but I did not realize a difference with the angle gauge? I will double check this evening.

Did you check this Eamon? And did you mount these plates yourself on WE paddles (how?) or did you ask Bob to do this for you?

I realize I am pushing a bit. But I must have missed this thread when it first started and the idea of Atoma plates for the WE suddenly makes me very enthusiastic. I am inclined to give Bob (or Ken?) a call right now to order all four of them, but my rational self tells me not to act instinctively :) . So does my girlfriend ;-)
Last Edit: 6 months 4 days ago by mark76.

Atoma 140's... re-profiling made easy! 6 months 4 days ago #14445

• EamonMcGowan
  • Platinum Boarder
Mark,
Please see the link. I hope the pic explains it better then me trying to?

WEPSpaddle140atoma.jpg

If you need anything else? Just shoot me a PM.
Eamon
The following user(s) said Thank You: razoredgeknives

Atoma 140's... re-profiling made easy! 6 months 3 days ago #14450

• Geocyclist
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 102
Good thread here. I am interested to learn more. I agree the 50's are over aggressive with scratches. I would be interested in these. Do you use these in place of the 100/200's? Assuming you would have started with 100's? or are they much more aggressive than 100's?

After doing a few knives with 50's and 80's I don't use them much anymore and do re-profiling with with the 100's. Granted I have not had any huge re-profile jobs lately.

Atoma 140's... re-profiling made easy! 6 months 3 days ago #14453

• mark76
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
Jeez, so weird I missed this topic two months ago. The idea of Atoma's for the WE sounds like two great worlds together becoming even greater.

Josh, I also asked Eamon this, but are the paddles with Atoma's the same thickness as the stock WE paddles? If they are, they would fit in the "system", which would be a huge plus.
Last Edit: 6 months 3 days ago by mark76.

Atoma 140's... re-profiling made easy! 6 months 3 days ago #14455

• DARRELLALLEN
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35
EamonMcGowan wrote:
mark76 wrote:

Like I said though I shoot this much in ammo at least once a week and with that all I have is empty brass. :blink:

Eamon, that's not entirely true about empty brass.............you also get the satisfaction of knowing you still have the 2nd amendment rights to do that in this great country, and the satisfaction of knowing you are honing your skills and building muscle memory that will come as an " automatic " response if and when you should ever need them...........Heaven forbid you don't though.

Atoma 140's... re-profiling made easy! 6 months 3 days ago #14459

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185
mark76 wrote:
EamonMcGowan wrote:

Did you check this Eamon? And did you mount these plates yourself on WE paddles (how?) or did you ask Bob to do this for you?

I realize I am pushing a bit. But I must have missed this thread when it first started and the idea of Atoma plates for the WE suddenly makes me very enthusiastic. I am inclined to give Bob (or Ken?) a call right now to order all four of them, but my rational self tells me not to act instinctively :) . So does my girlfriend ;-)

I mounted them to the paddles myself... And yes they are the same thickness. I jump straight from the 140's to the 400's with no issues whatsoever. They may be very slightly off, but I don't think it's much at all... The reason for this is because they are actually mounted to an aluminum plate which makes them the same thickness. Also, the 400 plates are still fairly aggressive so as long as you are close it doesn't matter.
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds