Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How Small a Knife Can You Sharpen? - Examples

Re: How Small a Knife Can You Sharpen? - Examples 1 year 6 months ago #10517

• Bill Sutherland
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
Where can you purchase these?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: How Small a Knife Can You Sharpen? - Examples 1 year 6 months ago #10518

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
Bill Sutherland wrote:
Where can you purchase these?

Amazon had them, I called around, all about the same price. They're selling like hotcakes, I called and talked to the company, so you might have to wait for the next shipment.

Edit: It looks like Steve at Sharpening Made Easy might have them too... I've dealt with Steve before, he's a good guy.
Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by cbwx34.

Re: How Small a Knife Can You Sharpen? - Examples 1 year 6 months ago #10539

• JG
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
This is a really exciting device for those troublesome little guys! How repeatable is the setup? Can you get the knife set in there exactly the same spot each time, or is there some guessimation?

Re: How Small a Knife Can You Sharpen? - Examples 1 year 6 months ago #10545

• cbwx34
JG wrote:
This is a really exciting device for those troublesome little guys! How repeatable is the setup? Can you get the knife set in there exactly the same spot each time, or is there some guessimation?

Good questions. Haven't gotten that far, but it doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to come up with a way of documenting how you set it to repeat the results.

Re: How Small a Knife Can You Sharpen? - Examples 1 year 6 months ago #10559

• EamonMcGowan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 200
Curtis,
You seem to like it so I thought oh what the heck? So mine is on the way. Takes 6-9 days just to ship? But I figure it will be a fun new tool to add in? Now those pesky little blades will be Wicked Sharp!
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!

Re: How Small a Knife Can You Sharpen? - Examples 1 year 6 months ago #10576

• ApexGS
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 51
I've done very small pen knives for customers at flea markets, it really surprises me how many people carry those things and are perfectly content with it. Well, that and how dull they always are.

I get a lot of the two and three blade ones between 1 and 2 inches per blade. It's a fun job to do the three blade ones, because they typically come with a clip point, a drop point and a sheep's foot blade so they made great practice!

I have one of the tiny pen knife types in my travel kit with the WEPS, I'll have to dig it out and take some pictures of it clamped up. I tend to go with a fairly large angle setting out of necessity, and I have spare screws I'll be turning down to give me a little extra leeway too. I'm generally happy with the 21-25 degree range on these little knives, they cut surprisingly well with a 1000 grit edge!
Your friendly neighborhood gunsmith!
- Tom

Re: How Small a Knife Can You Sharpen? - Examples 1 year 6 months ago #10592

• mark76
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 464
wickededge wrote:
Definitely possible Mark. I've been devising such a device for a couple of years, just haven't gotten it completed. Curtis has seen some of the drawings. If a lot of people think they'd like to see it developed, I'll push ahead with it, assuming I don't run foul of any intellectual property of Tormec's.

Let me be the first one. Definitely interested in this or any other type of low angle attachment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cbwx34

Re: How Small a Knife Can You Sharpen? - Examples 1 year 6 months ago #10616

• cbwx34
mark76 wrote:
...That would be the ultimate solution for ppl wanting to sharpen their blades at angles much lower than 13 degrees.

SVM-00e1.jpg

(On a "regular" size pocket knife.)

:)

Re: How Small a Knife Can You Sharpen? - Examples 1 year 6 months ago #10618

• KenBuzbee
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 110
Nice Curtis. I gotta get me one of those.

Soon ;)

Ken
玉鋼

Re: How Small a Knife Can You Sharpen? - Examples 1 year 6 months ago #10630

• EamonMcGowan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 200
KenBuzbee wrote:
Nice Curtis. I gotta get me one of those.

Soon ;)

Ken

Yeah when I saw it I just ordered it. My good buddy has this old little Case penknife. It is without a doubt the single hardest knife I have ever tried to sharpen!! Freehand, whatever?? I'm hoping this little tool can turn this around so I can hold my head up high again? I told my buddy if he ever brought that knife back to sharpen, I would pay him $20. just to throw it away!!
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds