Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Goals for Stropping your Blade

Re:Re: Goals for Stropping your Blade 1 year 1 week ago #13578

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 646
JameyHoward wrote:
Could it be argued that the sharper V edge would become rounded with a little bit of use, and therefore the slightly rounded edge is basically just a V edge that's been deliberately blunted a tiny amount, therefore you could go on to argue that the V edge would have the same long-term durability because it will achieve the same roundedness after a bit of usage?

It's a good question, one that we might explore by extending the test and adding a large number of additional repetitions. If both blades are exposed to the same loads, any difference in durability should start to show up after enough repetitions.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Re: Goals for Stropping your Blade 1 year 1 week ago #13579

• wickededge
  • Administrator
I'll also check the blades under the scope and see if there are any discernible differences in the edges of the blades. It seems logical that the keener, more narrow edge is being deformed but not necessarily in a way that will give it more strength.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
--Clay Allison

Goals for Stropping your Blade 1 year 1 week ago #13580

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 237
I would think that would hold true if it was used to cut a suitable medium say a cork which is good for de-burring and I suspect would achieve just what you say. The wrong medium could cause micro chips which would not be helpful.
It would be interesting to look at an edge on Clay's powerful microscope to see if cutting through cork does convex the edge.

Re:Goals for Stropping your Blade 1 year 1 week ago #13581

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
LeoBarr wrote:
I would think that would hold true if it was used to cut a suitable medium say a cork which is good for de-burring and I suspect would achieve just what you say. The wrong medium could cause micro chips which would not be helpful.
It would be interesting to look at an edge on Clay's powerful microscope to see if cutting through cork does convex the edge.

I'd be interested just in seeing the effect it has on the burr.

Goals for Stropping your Blade 1 year 1 week ago #13582

• wickededge
  • Administrator
Here are two nice shots at 2000x of the edge of the blade stropped at 13°. One is of the section of blade that was being tested, the other is of a section just a millimeter down that didn't have any load:

hc93dd84.jpg

Edge Baseline - No Testing - 2000x

hdd5023b.jpg

Edge After Testing - 40 Repetitions - 2000x

The deformation is pretty easy to see. I'll post pictures of the blade stropped at the sharpening angle of 15° later today. I'll also complete a larger number of repetitions to see what happens to the blades.
--Clay Allison
The following user(s) said Thank You: mark76

Goals for Stropping your Blade 1 year 1 week ago #13586

• DanMaloon
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 62
I love these 2000x photos. Youve taken some cool photos that would look nice blown up and framed. Definitely unique
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge

Goals for Stropping your Blade 1 year 1 week ago #13622

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
Jamey Said:
Could it be argued that the sharper V edge would become rounded with a little bit of use, and therefore the slightly rounded edge is basically just a V edge that's been deliberately blunted a tiny amount, therefore you could go on to argue that the V edge would have the same long-term durability because it will achieve the same roundedness after a bit of usage?

One might argue this way, if they could present some definitive studies that show highly regular convexing of the edge to be the primary results of using a knife. I have not seen such results. The photos I have seen of edge wear do not support this argument. Wear tends to be irregular and often the results are more to flatten, roll, or chip out the edge than to convex it slightly which appears to be the results of stropping.

I read Curtis' goals for stropping, they match mine perfectly. It is all about edge refinement.
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
Last Edit: 1 year 1 week ago by PhilipPasteur.

Goals for Stropping your Blade 1 year 1 week ago #13623

• wickededge
  • Administrator
I can say this about stropping after a lot of repeated tests - you can take a nicely sharpened blade to a much higher level of sharpness with just a few strokes with the strops. Even a 10k Chosera finish barely passes a low score of 1 on the hanging hair test, do a quick 10 strokes per side with the .25um roo strops and you can suddenly score 4s and 5s with ease. I completed a couple dozen iterations of this test this past Friday and consistently had the same results.
--Clay Allison
The following user(s) said Thank You: cbwx34

Goals for Stropping your Blade 1 year 1 week ago #13628

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
I have seen the same sort of thing Clay.
That is why it is curious to see what appears to be rounding at the edge in your micrographs.
Of course, we have to remember that we are talking about rounding visible at 2500 X. Maybe a couple of microns of rounding. Regardless, the edge does cut better with proper stropping.

You know, the straight razor guys have been doing it for a very long time... there must be something to it. At least, when cutting hair!
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds