Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Edge autodegradion

Edge autodegradion 1 year 5 months ago #10235

• LukasPop
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 40
If I make the knife as sharp as I can and then place it to show-case, it seems to me that after several weeks or months is somewhat less sharper? Is it real, or is it just my OCD? :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Edge autodegradion 1 year 5 months ago #10236

• SamuelGabriel
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
No, that's true. Steel, even stainless, oxidises and degrades over time. This effect is more noticeable the thinner it is. If you were to look at a freshly sharpened blade vs a several week old sharpened blade under an electron microscope you can actually see the degradation in the form of little lumpy growths on the very blade edge. I've seen it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LukasPop

Re: Edge autodegradion 1 year 5 months ago #10242

• KenBuzbee
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 110
Even more so on a carbon steels like Super Blue (one of my personal favorites) Even days after finishing an edge I can tell it isn't quite what it was. Still plenty sharp but not that screaming edge we all so love. Not really a big issue as these are my favorite knives to throw on the WEPS, but something to be aware of if you're thinking of sharpening knives as something you do infrequently (not anyone hanging out here, I realize, but we all know people who don't ;) )

Ken
玉鋼
The following user(s) said Thank You: LukasPop
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds