Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Check out what just rolled in... Perfect for WEPS

Check out what just rolled in... Perfect for WEPS 6 months 2 days ago #15641

• Wes74
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Thanks, I can't say I haven't lived. LOL. I guess it's about time to slow down A little.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Check out what just rolled in... Perfect for WEPS 6 months 2 days ago #15644

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 308
LeoBarr wrote:
Looks like it will have to go in the low angle jaws if it is going to be sharpened on the WE.

No low angle accessory... The angle was about 27 dps :-) but this thing is sharpening WEIRD... Like no other steel I've sharpened before, it sharpens like ceramic knives do. The edge just keeps crumbling away and NEVER develops a burr. I am wondering if it's ceramic partly or a tungsten carbide stee l or something weird? I used diamond tape down to 3um and it has a mirror polish and shaves easily now :-) but it took forever for me to figure that out. It is slightly magnetic but not as much as normal steel... Any ideas?
The following user(s) said Thank You: BobNash

Check out what just rolled in... Perfect for WEPS 6 months 2 days ago #15645

• AnthonyYan
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Maybe it is tungsten carbide?

I'm thinking that in many paper and textile machines, they use carbide because they don't want to sharpen it very often. HSS is also common, but less wear resistant from what I understand.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cemented_carbide

Tungsten carbide is incredibly hard and brittle; it is basically a ceramic powder of tungsten carbide which is bound together with a cobalt binder. (Other binders are possible, but cobalt is the most common.) So my guess is that's what you're seeing. See link above.

Not sure how to sharpen it. I have heard people got good results sharpening ceramic knives with diamond lapping films (Ken Schwartz sells some), for example the various 3M diamond films. So probably that would work for carbide as well? Here's a YouTube of Tom Blodgett shaving with a ceramic knife that was sharpened with diamond film:

Last Edit: 6 months 2 days ago by AnthonyYan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge, razoredgeknives, LeoBarr

Check out what just rolled in... Perfect for WEPS 6 months 2 days ago #15646

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 610
We'll be offering up some diamond lapping films soon. I've used them to great effect on ceramic blades. The manufacturers of the knives at Boker and Stone River were absolutely shocked at how sharp their knives could get on the WE with diamond films.
--Clay Allison
The following user(s) said Thank You: razoredgeknives, AnthonyYan, LeoBarr

Check out what just rolled in... Perfect for WEPS 6 months 2 days ago #15647

• tcmeyer
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 143
How soon, Clay? I've been playing with making a pair of blocks using plate glass for the platens. With diamond film available, I'll need to make a few more.

Check out what just rolled in... Perfect for WEPS 6 months 1 day ago #15648

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 308
tcmeyer wrote:
How soon, Clay? I've been playing with making a pair of blocks using plate glass for the platens. With diamond film available, I'll need to make a few more.

If you want some right now, you can order them from Lee Valley. That's what I did. As a matter of fact, I believe these are the same film that Tom used in the video above. They do work great on ceramic knives! :-)

Check out what just rolled in... Perfect for WEPS 6 months 1 day ago #15649

• EamonMcGowan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 197
razoredgeknives wrote:
tcmeyer wrote:

If you want some right now, you can order them from Lee Valley. That's what I did. As a matter of fact, I believe these are the same film that Tom used in the video above. They do work great on ceramic knives! :-)

Bob, at Oldawan is anther source for the films and glass WEPS paddles. FYI?
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!

Check out what just rolled in... Perfect for WEPS 4 months 3 weeks ago #16436

• DanMaloon
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 60
Bought some film the other day to try and this stuff is pretty good. Id like see if w.e. film will last longer and what the price would be.

Check out what just rolled in... Perfect for WEPS 4 months 3 weeks ago #16439

• leomitch
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 206
A couple of years ago, I bought several sheets of diamond lapping film from Lee Valley. They were graded 15, 3, .5 and .1...I don't have the symbol mu. I cut strips and fitted them to 2 blank paddles, one grade on each side. They worked beautifully and gave some truly razor sharp edges...better than I got with the diamond paste on leather paddles. Finally I gave the remainder of the film away to my industrial arts teacher from before I retired and he used it on glass blocks to finish off his chisels.
This is great stuff and I suggest you try experimenting with it as another way to get those edges that make your eyes smart just looking at them! So you have Lee Valley, Bob Nash and soon right from Clay to get and try this wonderful stuff. So many ways to get final ultimate edges after getting a superior edge already with the WEPS up to the 1000 stones and ceramic paddles.
I don't do it anymore because in the end I am very satisfied with the real world edges I got from the WEPS using the paddles up to 1000, the ceramic paddles and the strops with diamond paste.As I get older I am more easily satisfied.

Cheers
Leo
Never go anywhere without your knife!
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell

Check out what just rolled in... Perfect for WEPS 4 months 3 weeks ago #16441

• mark76
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 361
leomitch wrote:
I don't have the symbol mu.

Yes, you do.

μ

:P :lol:
Last Edit: 4 months 3 weeks ago by mark76.
The following user(s) said Thank You: leomitch, LeoBarr
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds