Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Spyderco Gayle Bradley - reground, wicked slicer

Spyderco Gayle Bradley - reground, wicked slicer 9 months 1 day ago #15466

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 241
That looks purposeful that is both the knife & the cone loc drum.
I have yet to make a knife myself once I have a yard I shall start with a file knife I imagine the best way to do it is to de temper it for shaping & drilling etc and the to re temper it once the heavy work is done .
What I am sure will interest you was a link to an 800 year old Swedish sword that an American smith made from scratch it was posted here a couple of months ago well worth the watch The title is" Secrets of the Viking Sword"it is a great film showing how this fantastic blade was made.
Last Edit: 9 months 1 day ago by LeoBarr.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: razoredgeknives

Spyderco Gayle Bradley - reground, wicked slicer 9 months 1 day ago #15467

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 419
LeoBarr wrote:
I got the video on my iPad but not on my mac for some reason. Awesome belt sander. Your coatings are they powdered ceramic ? I understand now why you were installing an oven since ~I read somewhere that a domestic oven does not hold a consistent enough heat to cure the coatings(and I cannot imagine that the curing fumes would be very good for food) it strike me as a good side line for you considering that there are a lot of knife & gun enthusiasts throughout your part of the world .

They are a ceramic paint, not powdered I don't believe... this is off of Cerakote's website:

"Cerakote is a ceramic based finish that can be applied to metals, plastics, polymers and wood. The unique formulation used for Cerakote ceramic coating enhances a number of physical performance properties including abrasion/wear resistance, corrosion resistance, chemical resistance, impact strength, and hardness. Each of these properties is rigorously tested to guarantee that Cerakote products remain at the foreforont of the ceramic coatings market. Cerakote ceramic coatings utilize state-of-the-art technology to out-perform any competitive coating in both laboratory settings and real world applications. "

They have two different series, air dry (C-series) and thermal cured (H-series). The H-series is supposed to be one of the most durable finishes on the market. I am just getting started, but am really looking forward both to the experience and the art work part of it, it should be fun. I have a brother in law that is a graphic arts designer and I am going to get him to design different logos/decal designs that I can air brush into the paint. It should be a lot of fun! Check out the videos on my website about it's durability...

Yeah, I converted my oven from a food warming unit. A normal oven would not be large enough for the larger barrels =)

I want to take Cerakote and also do it to knives (in addition to firearms), the sky is the limit =) check out some work done by others...

The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge, LeoBarr

Spyderco Gayle Bradley - reground, wicked slicer 9 months 1 day ago #15468

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
tcmeyer wrote:
I've seen a number of knives made from files - none looked as nice as yours. Well done. Now you need to come up with a handle design that matches the quality of the blade.

Leo's Rockstead made of ZDP-189 peaked my interest and I found that Spyderco is also making knives of the same stuff. I wonder how the CPM-M4 compares with it?

The video of you chopping off pieces of twine made my butt-hole clench. I did the same thing once, trying to demonstrate how this D2 knife I'd made would shave the edge off of a nickel. Took a chunk out of my left knuckle. Lots of band-aids. Still have the scar. My brother, who I was showing it to, swears it was caused by a Manhattan.

All very interesting stuff for me. The knifemaking I did years ago was all hand-held, as I didn't have access to a belt sander. Most of the books I read back then ('70s thru '80s) said that "square wheel belt sanders" were the hot setup. I see from google that there are still quite a few on the market. I bought a pedestal buffer when I retired, hoping to get back into it, but now my arthritic thumbs don't have but maybe 10% of the strength they used to.

I have a cone-loc drum sander which I've had for 40 years and use for almost everything. I buy 2"-wide rolls of abrasive, from 50 to 150 grit and tear off a section as I need it. Everything from jewelry to mower blades. Nothing I've seen works as well for free-hand shaping. The ones listed on google are smaller than the one I have, but there's a company out in WA that sells them, but doesn't have a web page. Here's a photo to show how it works:

And here's a photo of a D2 clip-point skinner I made back in about 1984. The handle was a piece of French walnut I cut out of a broken rifle stock and was shaped entirely on the cone-loc. A rancher in Wyoming still has it and I don't think he's ever used it.

That's cool TC! Great work on that skinner! It definitely feels great to make something with your own hands that you can use and abuse =) I have never seen a cone-loc before, that is something for sure! you could probably build a jig for that to sharpen /grind hollow grinds into knives if you wanted even. Sure makes lawn mower blades easy huh? =)

Spyderco Gayle Bradley - reground, wicked slicer 9 months 1 day ago #15470

• tcmeyer
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 251
Josh:

Thanks much for the kudos...

I don't think the cone-loc would work with fixtures - there's a "bump" every turn as the clamp segment comes around. Not as smooth as a belt sander.

You've got me stoked though; I'll be doing a little more digging into what the possibilities are. There's a lot of neat s**t out there, and I've got more money than brains. I'll spend $20 to have $5 of fun.

I've been waiting to hear if your oven was up and running the cerakote thing... Have you qualified to sell the work yet?

BTW, what kind of steels do you use or plan to use? I used D2 because it was so easy to harden - 5 minutes at straw yellow with an acetylene torch, then air harden in the vise. After cool, maybe 4 hours in the wife's oven at 400F to temper.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LeoBarr

Spyderco Gayle Bradley - reground, wicked slicer 9 months 1 day ago #15472

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
TC,

Yeah I got it up and running finally! Lol, I did run into a problem though... Apparently the insulation they used in it is not for higher temps. I tried to heat it up to 300F and it started popping at the seams. I found out that I can go with just 250F and it works great, so I'm extremely relieved about that! I got my PID controller set up and functioning great now too!

I actually just got my first rifle (Rem 700 308) in just the other day... I set up a makeshift paint booth and will probably blast and paint it Monday or Tuesday. I'm also looking forward to doing my gayle bradley... Thinking of going with a black/white theme on the blade, to keep it classy. Ideas?

As far as steel goes, man... I have a LOT of research to do before I decide! Lol. The primary thing in my mind is going to be optimization of the HT more than the steel I use. I have read that 1084 is a good intro steel and easy to HT. I didn't know that about the D2!I may go with that... It sure does hold a decent edge!

Spyderco Gayle Bradley - reground, wicked slicer 3 months 5 days ago #18048

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
Ok so I finally got my GB reground (again) and cerakoted in a scheme that looks halfway decent (although I'm not fully satisfied - I was rushed on the knife painting process). I also fixed the cut-out for the liner lock to be more ergonomic yet not weak. I painted everything black except for the blade which was black overlayed with titanium. I also rounded my pocket clip which makes it much more comfortable!

and here is my first pistol that I have done with a stencil (I am still working through the stenciling process to make it more streamlined - right now it is a PAIN).

The following user(s) said Thank You: mark76, GibCurry, DanMaloon

Re:Spyderco Gayle Bradley - reground, wicked slicer 3 months 5 days ago #18059

• jimbowfnx
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Looks really nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyderco Gayle Bradley - reground, wicked slicer 3 months 4 days ago #18062

• GibCurry
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gib
  • Thank you received: 124
The possibilities are virtually endless!

Nice work... keep us supplied with pictures as you progress. (Please.)
~~~~

For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

"My goal is to be a good, practical knife sharpener. My dream is to polish molecules."

Spyderco Gayle Bradley - reground, wicked slicer 3 months 4 days ago #18064

• DanMaloon
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 67
Friggin' bad..that is some cool stuff Josh. Gib said it, the possibilities are endless

Spyderco Gayle Bradley - reground, wicked slicer 3 months 4 days ago #18066

• mark76
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 456
Really nice. It reminds me a bit of the paintwork of our Swedish friend whom I haven't seen for a while. (And whose name I forgot - anyone?)
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds