Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Spyderco Gayle Bradley - reground, wicked slicer

Spyderco Gayle Bradley - reground, wicked slicer 9 months 6 days ago #15437

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 423
Well recently I have been wanting to a knife in more of an "exotic" steel that has much better edge retention than s30v . what I came up with is the GB which is a superb knife for a great price. I picked this one up used (but never sharpened) from BF for $85 (it had an "acid" patina that didn't go to wel, which I didn't care about since I will soon be cerakoting it :-D). After I sharpened it on the Wicked Edge to 15 dps, the edge shoulders was a little thick for my liking; around .020" on the main part of the edge and around .038" thick bear the tip. So I decided to fix that. This is my first hollow re-grind but I'm so glad I did! It makes such a difference :-)

So this is the result. Note that I did have to do some multi facets because my 8" wheel wasn't a large enough radius to match the grind, but it turned out really well I think. You can see a few minimal grind marks from the radius of the 8" wheel, but other than that you can't really tell. Plus I'm hoping the cerakote will cover some of that =) ! I only finished it on a 600 grit belt. But now most of the edge measures .008" with it closer to .013" near the tip. =D If you measure back near the heel, it is still near .010" about an 1/8" in from the edge, so hopefully I didn't go too thin, but only time will tell. So far I've cut paper, a small amount of cardboard, plastic packaging, and carved some hard dried out wood - it loved all of those tasks. :-)

Any of you guys re-ground your blades? If so, which ones? (pics are nice)

I have some other mods in mind for this in the near future :-)

Of course, nothing will ever touch my edge sharpening wise other than the WEPS. This was finished the a nice toothy 1k diamond stones.
Last Edit: 9 months 6 days ago by razoredgeknives.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Spyderco Gayle Bradley - reground, wicked slicer 9 months 6 days ago #15443

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 241
Great result !
When you say you used an 8 inch wheel was this cooled or was it sufficiently quick like a belt sander that it was easy to maintain the angle on quick passes?
I used to have a Tormek but these were 10 inch wheels and it would have taken an awful long time to do so much so that when I tried to thin blades with it the results would be poor since holding the same angle for half an hour was impossible and none of the jigs went low enough.

I should like to see what you used the result looks like it is factory finished so well done.
Although I have no need of such a sanding disk or whatever was used I should like to see it so that if I feel the need to do something similar I will know what to get.

Spyderco Gayle Bradley - reground, wicked slicer 9 months 5 days ago #15457

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
Haha, thanks Leo! no it wasn't the tormek... I used an 8" wheel on my belt sander, although to match the grind completely it would have taken a 10" wheel I believe... check out the video I made on it.

... Ah! I have to re-render it, it screwed up lol. Stay tuned
Last Edit: 9 months 5 days ago by razoredgeknives.

Spyderco Gayle Bradley - reground, wicked slicer 9 months 5 days ago #15458

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
That must be a pretty serious belt sander the sort knife makes use . I have a Robert Sorby belt sander but I cannot change the wheels on it

Spyderco Gayle Bradley - reground, wicked slicer 9 months 4 days ago #15460

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
Here ya go Leo... yeah, it is the kind knife makers use, I built it over the summer and it is a HUGE benefit to me. I can change the speeds, change out accessories and arms, etc. I would love to get into knife making in the near future. Check out this knife I made out of a file...

Here is that video... finally got done =)

Last Edit: 9 months 4 days ago by razoredgeknives.

Spyderco Gayle Bradley - reground, wicked slicer 9 months 4 days ago #15461

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
Thats a beautiful file knife I like the point part tanto part samurai. The vid has not shown up I like to see some pictures of your belt sander have you checked out this website www.homemadetools.net/forum/ there are some awesome belt anders there although possible you have already looked at their site.

Spyderco Gayle Bradley - reground, wicked slicer 9 months 4 days ago #15462

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
Thans for the knife making download Leo! I will definitely check that out along with the link you posted :-)

That's weird... The video is showing up for me... Hmmm

Spyderco Gayle Bradley - reground, wicked slicer 9 months 4 days ago #15463

• Mikedoh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 125
Video shows for me.
Like your file knife.

Spyderco Gayle Bradley - reground, wicked slicer 9 months 4 days ago #15464

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
I got the video on my iPad but not on my mac for some reason. Awesome belt sander. Your coatings are they powdered ceramic ? I understand now why you were installing an oven since ~I read somewhere that a domestic oven does not hold a consistent enough heat to cure the coatings(and I cannot imagine that the curing fumes would be very good for food) it strike me as a good side line for you considering that there are a lot of knife & gun enthusiasts throughout your part of the world .

Spyderco Gayle Bradley - reground, wicked slicer 9 months 4 days ago #15465

• tcmeyer
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 261
I've seen a number of knives made from files - none looked as nice as yours. Well done. Now you need to come up with a handle design that matches the quality of the blade.

Leo's Rockstead made of ZDP-189 peaked my interest and I found that Spyderco is also making knives of the same stuff. I wonder how the CPM-M4 compares with it?

The video of you chopping off pieces of twine made my butt-hole clench. I did the same thing once, trying to demonstrate how this D2 knife I'd made would shave the edge off of a nickel. Took a chunk out of my left knuckle. Lots of band-aids. Still have the scar. My brother, who I was showing it to, swears it was caused by a Manhattan.

All very interesting stuff for me. The knifemaking I did years ago was all hand-held, as I didn't have access to a belt sander. Most of the books I read back then ('70s thru '80s) said that "square wheel belt sanders" were the hot setup. I see from google that there are still quite a few on the market. I bought a pedestal buffer when I retired, hoping to get back into it, but now my arthritic thumbs don't have but maybe 10% of the strength they used to.

I have a cone-loc drum sander which I've had for 40 years and use for almost everything. I buy 2"-wide rolls of abrasive, from 50 to 150 grit and tear off a section as I need it. Everything from jewelry to mower blades. Nothing I've seen works as well for free-hand shaping. The ones listed on google are smaller than the one I have, but there's a company out in WA that sells them, but doesn't have a web page. Here's a photo to show how it works:

cone-loc.jpg

And here's a photo of a D2 clip-point skinner I made back in about 1984. The handle was a piece of French walnut I cut out of a broken rifle stock and was shaped entirely on the cone-loc. A rancher in Wyoming still has it and I don't think he's ever used it.

Rossmansknife.jpg
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds