Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Life after PP1

Life after PP1 8 months 2 weeks ago #13196

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
JameyHoward wrote:
Thanks Philip but my mind's made up about waterstones - I'm not going to go down that route.

Jamey,

Any particular reason for that? Just curious. My absolute best edges and most mirror-like almost scratch free bevels have been achieved with water stones. I am sure that if you ever tried them, you would be very happy with the results.

The biggest objection seems to be the mess, but when used properly this is really a non-issue. Soaking, well 10 minutes of time, and soaking the next set while I am sharpening with the first, minimizes the impact on the time it costs.

There is the expense, but purchased over time, at least that can be made more tolerable.

Knowing that you have a WEPS, and that you are looking for more reflective bevels and the ultimate sharpness for a given blade, I can guarantee that you would love a set or two...or maybe three of the Chosera Stones. If you can get them(I think Ken Schwartz may make these up for people) with just a set of the 2K Aotoshi stones, you would be amazed how your edges would look after the 1200/1600 ceramics.
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
Last Edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by PhilipPasteur.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Life after PP1 8 months 2 weeks ago #13201

• JameyHoward
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
PhilipPasteur wrote:
Any particular reason for that? Just curious. My absolute best edges and most mirror-like almost scratch free bevels have been achieved with water stones. I am sure that if you ever tried them, you would be very happy with the results.

It's personal choice. I'm not out to get the best edges in the world, or to compare with other people, I'm happy with the sharpness I've been getting from PP1 but if there's a quick way to get more of a shine on the edge then I'll take it.

I like to just be able to sharpen things quickly and easily with minimum fuss.

Life after PP1 8 months 2 weeks ago #13209

• Geocyclist
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 102
JameyHoward wrote:
It's personal choice. I'm not out to get the best edges in the world, or to compare with other people, I'm happy with the sharpness I've been getting from PP1 but if there's a quick way to get more of a shine on the edge then I'll take it.
You can do well with ceramics and strops. If you really want a mirror finish with no scratches to the naked eye you need Chosear's. Period.
JameyHoward wrote:
I like to just be able to sharpen things quickly and easily with minimum fuss.
The ceramics fit this bill very well. Two more stones after the diamonds, a little stropping (or a lot) and your done. If you don't let the blade to get too dull you can touch up with ceramics.

I have both needs. Some knives, the high end, super steel I want a mirror polish. I have some lower end knives I don't care so much about and I want a fast, sharp edge. (i.e. low end folders, fixed blades, and kitchen knives).

If you only want to buy "1 item" then ceramics are the best bang for the buck.

Life after PP1 8 months 2 weeks ago #13290

• JameyHoward
  • Senior Boarder
The ceramics just arrived! Can't compare as I'm not at home but are they exactly the same thickness as the diamonds? I don't need to change the angle when I transition from 1k diamonds to 1200 ceramics do I? Because I don't have the ball-joint arms so I can't micro-adjust angles.

Life after PP1 8 months 2 weeks ago #13291

• LukasPop
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
JameyHoward wrote:
The ceramics just arrived! Can't compare as I'm not at home but are they exactly the same thickness as the diamonds? I don't need to change the angle when I transition from 1k diamonds to 1200 ceramics do I? Because I don't have the ball-joint arms so I can't micro-adjust angles.
Hi Jamey, they are supposed to be of the same thickness. You can check this if you put diamonds and ceramics side by side on the table. I have just done it, and my 800/1000 diamonds are little thicker than my 1200/1600 ceramics, but I don't adjust angle and it works fine.

Edit: I have just tried the angle difference, and is about 0.4°, maybe it is because I lapped my ceramics already.
Last Edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by LukasPop.

Life after PP1 8 months 2 weeks ago #13292

• JameyHoward
  • Senior Boarder
Cool, if the ceramics are thinner then that means the angle gets wider so they still contact the edge, doesn't it? Should be fine then.

Life after PP1 8 months 2 weeks ago #13293

• LukasPop
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Yes, you are right. Try them, I think it will be fine ;)

Life after PP1 8 months 2 weeks ago #13294

• JameyHoward
  • Senior Boarder
Yep, should be fine for sharpness purposes. Obviously when it comes to polishing the bevel you don't just want the stone to contact the edge, you want it to contact the whole face of the bevel, but hopefully 0.4 degrees won't be too big a problem.

Life after PP1 8 months 2 weeks ago #13295

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
JameyHoward wrote:

Not sure that they are "exactly" the same thickness. There are always manufacturing tolerances at play and I never measured them. I can tell you that I don't typically change the angle that I am using when going from the diamond plates to the ceramic stones. I usually check the angle with the cube when I change types of stones. I guess the difference was not enough that I was concerned. Use your cube on the ones that you got and see what kind of difference you see. If it is more than you like, adjust the angle. I used the original arms for quite a while and was able to set exact angles (within the measuring errors that are caused by the accuracy potential of the cube) between the several different types of stones that I use. Precise adjustments are definitely possible with your setup.

I thought of something... long ago I reversed the base bar on my setup. I do not use the dimples machined into the bar for set angles. This allows for the kind of adjustment that I was talking about above. If you are using the presets, I still think that you will be OK.

The other option is, just go for it and see what your results are. I think that you will be fine, but you can always go back and set the sharpening angle to exactly match the diamonds if you are not happy with your results.
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
Last Edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by PhilipPasteur. Reason: more thoughts

Life after PP1 8 months 2 weeks ago #13296

• JameyHoward
  • Senior Boarder
Yep, cool.

I do use the preset dimples on the bars at the moment, if I'm not happy with keeping the angle the same then I will try your suggestion. Although I have had problems in the past with the thumb screws that hold the arms in place coming loose and allowing the arms to move during sharpening. It's probably because I'm so strong, I expect ;)
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds