Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Scissor Sharpening with a Stock PP2?

Scissor Sharpening with a Stock PP2? 1 year 1 month ago #13153

  • EamonMcGowan
  • EamonMcGowan's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 525
  • Thank you received: 200
  • Karma: 29
Okay I have screwed up my first pair of scissors! All I did was on screw them now they will not screw back in?
Clay would you please weigh in on this subject? Can you please give us a little expertise here? I am considering buying the twice as sharp system should I wait? I don't want trade secrets just a heads up please?
Thank you
Eamon
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Scissor Sharpening with a Stock PP2? 1 year 1 month ago #13154

  • LeoBarr
  • LeoBarr's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 691
  • Thank you received: 238
  • Karma: 33
Ouch Eamon
I have found with scissors that there are some where the screws come out easily and those that don't; if the screw doesn't seem to want to shift I leave them in place I have one pair of scissors I tried to remove the screw and then I realised that it had been sort of riveted in on the other side (or perhaps the screw end was flattened onto the nut & then flattened with a file or Dremmel)so I have left them alone although I have contemplated drilling out the screw rivet and replacing it with some sort of small machine screw , washer and nut .
Perhaps you could replace the screw and re-tap the scissors .

Good luck!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Scissor Sharpening with a Stock PP2? 1 year 1 month ago #13157

  • EamonMcGowan
  • EamonMcGowan's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 525
  • Thank you received: 200
  • Karma: 29
Yes ouch:-C. There was no warning signs that thesomething was going wrong? I deceided not to do them as they are convex after a closer look. The plastic one piece nut/washer just spins freely now. I ordered a new pair for the customer and will get micky mouse the old one for me . I'm not upset? Just chalk it up to lifes learning curve:-$
I have sent myself to do "you tube higher education" :cheer:
The "twice as sharp" by Wolf seems to be the Weps of scissors. I would much rather spend my money with clay:-! I just think whatever clay has up his sleeve is going to be way better! :-)
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Scissor Sharpening with a Stock PP2? 1 year 1 month ago #13160

  • LeoBarr
  • LeoBarr's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 691
  • Thank you received: 238
  • Karma: 33
At least with Clays solution you will be able to do a graduated convex . I did a graduated convex on a Mac knife 10Ëš to the edge then micro bevel at 15Ëš-14-13-12-11Ëš then I stropped out the transitions that was on my EP but that was after reading Clay's method of convex-ing (probable another month to go for my WE).
The other simple method and it works well for convex-ing is progressively finer wet & dry sand papers on a mouse pad I learnt that on my Rockstead Beetle they have an uneven grind 12Ëš on the kissaki steepening from the end of the kissaki back to the heel to 15Ëš plus it is about 90/10 grind so 90% on the right hand side and a minimum on the left just enough to remove the burr it is made of YXR7 - HRc65 so too complicated to do on a tool
h5294757.jpg


h9f6ca44.jpg
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Scissor Sharpening with a Stock PP2? 1 year 1 month ago #13161

  • razoredgeknives
  • razoredgeknives's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 818
  • Thank you received: 384
  • Karma: 40
EamonMcGowan wrote:
Yes ouch:-C. There was no warning signs that thesomething was going wrong? I deceided not to do them as they are convex after a closer look. The plastic one piece nut/washer just spins freely now. I ordered a new pair for the customer and will get micky mouse the old one for me . I'm not upset? Just chalk it up to lifes learning curve:-$
I have sent myself to do "you tube higher education" :cheer:
The "twice as sharp" by Wolf seems to be the Weps of scissors. I would much rather spend my money with clay:-! I just think whatever clay has up his sleeve is going to be way better! :-)

I've actually got the Twice as Sharp... works great! Can't ask for a faster great edge when it comes to scissors, and the jig makes it almost fool proof :cheer:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Scissor Sharpening with a Stock PP2? 1 year 1 month ago #13166

  • EamonMcGowan
  • EamonMcGowan's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 525
  • Thank you received: 200
  • Karma: 29
razoredgeknives wrote:
EamonMcGowan wrote:
Yes ouch:-C. There was no warning signs that thesomething was going wrong? I deceided not to do them as they are convex after a closer look. The plastic one piece nut/washer just spins freely now. I ordered a new pair for the customer and will get micky mouse the old one for me . I'm not upset? Just chalk it up to lifes learning curve:-$
I have sent myself to do "you tube higher education" :cheer:
The "twice as sharp" by Wolf seems to be the Weps of scissors. I would much rather spend my money with clay:-! I just think whatever clay has up his sleeve is going to be way better! :-)

I've actually got the Twice as Sharp... works great! Can't ask for a faster great edge when it comes to scissors, and the jig makes it almost fool proof :cheer:

Josh.
That is some great info! That is two people on this thread that are using the "Twice" machine that speak very highly of it! There seems to be three models that basically look the same? Then an upgraded machine and the top tier that looks to be way expensive.
Which one did you get and why if you don't mind me asking? Unless Clay says "heads up" I am pretty darn sure I am going to be the proud father of a new bouncing baby scissor machine :silly:
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Scissor Sharpening with a Stock PP2? 1 year 1 month ago #13169

  • zig
  • zig's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 126
  • Thank you received: 37
  • Karma: 12
eamon,
TAS regular (pro) is great for fabric shear, kitchen etc, plus a good tool sharpener of sorts.
The Ookami wheels are a step up and are amazing on finer scissors, barber shears, grooming and up to a pretty high level of salon shears. Package has some useful items in it.
The separate convex clamp works similar to how we work on the WEPS, several angles, then roll them together with the soft wheel with compound.

The Flat hone model is for high end salon shears.
I haven't bought that as its 2k and not ready to step into that market.
Seems flat hone is what they are handling the $600 - $1k scissors, consensus is flat honing of super high end shears is the standard ... meh. Damn machines range from $1k - $10k.

Like I said, the regular TAS is great for working shears and has harsher grit wheels.
The Ookami Gold wheels make for a more refined edge, and yes you can do convex with the clamp.
But results are not as refined and polished as flat hones which usually have complete control over the scissor, depending on the maker/model. (also debates about the wheels making concave lines and rolling them to work the convex)
That higher end salon stuff is a whole nother world.

Honing the ride line of the back of concave scissors ... plate glass and diamond sprays, or as TAS Gold provides, a large auto body sanding block and fine grit papers... it works.

Just my 2 cents down the path of scissors and the TAS.
Hope it helps,
zig
www.zbsharpening.com
Knife Sharpening Service
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
908-635-2748
Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by zig.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Scissor Sharpening with a Stock PP2? 1 year 1 month ago #13186

  • EamonMcGowan
  • EamonMcGowan's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 525
  • Thank you received: 200
  • Karma: 29
zig wrote:
eamon,
TAS regular (pro) is great for fabric shear, kitchen etc, plus a good tool sharpener of sorts.
The Ookami wheels are a step up and are amazing on finer scissors, barber shears, grooming and up to a pretty high level of salon shears. Package has some useful items in it.
The separate convex clamp works similar to how we work on the WEPS, several angles, then roll them together with the soft wheel with compound.

The Flat hone model is for high end salon shears.
I haven't bought that as its 2k and not ready to step into that market.
Seems flat hone is what they are handling the $600 - $1k scissors, consensus is flat honing of super high end shears is the standard ... meh. Damn machines range from $1k - $10k.

Like I said, the regular TAS is great for working shears and has harsher grit wheels.
The Ookami Gold wheels make for a more refined edge, and yes you can do convex with the clamp.
But results are not as refined and polished as flat hones which usually have complete control over the scissor, depending on the maker/model. (also debates about the wheels making concave lines and rolling them to work the convex)
That higher end salon stuff is a whole nother world.

Honing the ride line of the back of concave scissors ... plate glass and diamond sprays, or as TAS Gold provides, a large auto body sanding block and fine grit papers... it works.

Just my 2 cents down the path of scissors and the TAS.
Hope it helps,
zig

Wow! Zig thanks for the education!! You answered so many questions that came up for me watching vids. So I guess the Ookami is the one to get? It seems like if you do some nicer scissors it will be able to accommodate the customer?
I really appreciate you taking the time!! :cheer:
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Scissor Sharpening with a Stock PP2? 1 year 1 month ago #13188

  • LeoBarr
  • LeoBarr's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 691
  • Thank you received: 238
  • Karma: 33
That sounds a serious piece of kit(I looked at the models serious machinery) I am glad that I do not need to consider such a beast I currently have the EP which has a scissor table which works very well since the scissors are clamped to the table . If I did not have that I would be tempted by the machine.
I am sure that Clay's chisel attachment may well eventually do scissors.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Scissor Sharpening with a Stock PP2? 1 year 1 month ago #13191

  • zig
  • zig's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 126
  • Thank you received: 37
  • Karma: 12
EamonMcGowan wrote:
Wow! Zig thanks for the education!! You answered so many questions that came up for me watching vids. So I guess the Ookami is the one to get? It seems like if you do some nicer scissors it will be able to accommodate the customer?
I really appreciate you taking the time!! :cheer:

No prob!
There are a lot of vids out there, very useful info.

The Ookami Gold package gives you both wheel sets, lower grit and finer grit, along with the package of block/paper, practice shears and other goodies.

Call Wolff and see how much the upgrade is. You may just want the regular pro model to start. If things warrant it you can always get the other parts.

Same with the convex clamp .. $200 clams ... will you need it and when?

The TAS is old tech but has its place in the shop.
Like a Tormex, you'll find uses for it.

Right now, I'm not aggressively going after salons, so end up mostly using the standard wheels for fabric and household shears as thats what I'm getting.
I throw the Ookami wheels on when I get the occasional decent shear from a home owner.

Leo, overall, its really pretty small and light.
I may get a 2nd machine on its own as I have the wheels .... changing wheels is somewhat a PITA.
www.zbsharpening.com
Knife Sharpening Service
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
908-635-2748
Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by zig.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds