Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Scissor Sharpening with a Stock PP2?

Scissor Sharpening with a Stock PP2? 8 months 3 weeks ago #12953

• EamonMcGowan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 184
cbwx34 wrote:
Here's an old thread on scissors, that you may want to take a look at.

Curtis,
That is what I was trying to find out? What grit, where do you stop? :S I'm going to try the linen one's tonight :unsure: Please say a prayer to the scissor Gods. :lol:
Thank you,
Eamon
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Scissor Sharpening with a Stock PP2? 8 months 3 weeks ago #12957

• EamonMcGowan
  • Platinum Boarder
Houston we have lift off! Lol :lol:
Everything went great. Took them apart Used the sharpie trick to tell every time I took off metal? Went from 200-600 diamonds. Put them back together. Then tried to cut bond paper? Success :P Stepped it up a notch and did the wet toilet paper test in different cutting lengths and they worked like a charm. :woohoo:
A big thank you to all who helped! ;) B)

ps don't you just love it when a plan comes together? :whistle:
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!

Scissor Sharpening with a Stock PP2? 8 months 3 weeks ago #12960

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 197
Sounds good did you do them on the WE or just used the paddles from the WE?
I normally stop at 1200 grit on the EP although if I do hair shears I take them to 6000 grit tapes.

Scissor Sharpening with a Stock PP2? 8 months 3 weeks ago #12965

• FredHermann
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37
I had a smashing success as well.
I never even fooled with the angle gauge, I had to use a q-tip as an angle shim to get the scissors to an angle the WEPS could handle. Used the sharpie trick, and was off and running.

The trick for removal of the burr works great, and I did the back side/concave with just a little 1000 grit sandpaper for clean up.

To test, I used a single ply of toilet paper, and wow these are sharp. My mother in law is extremely happy, but her comment was...

" Once again you've given me something that's so sharp I have to worry if it's too sharp. first it was all the knives in the kitchen, then my purse knife..." It goes on and on :)

So if the angle is too high for the WEPS to handle, the shim worked great.
“On one otherwise normal Tuesday evening I had the chance to live the American dream. I was able to throw my incompetent jack*ss of a boss from a fourteenth-story window.”

Owen Pitt – Monster Hunter International

Scissor Sharpening with a Stock PP2? 8 months 3 weeks ago #12966

• wmarq9237
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
The only solution I have found for scissor sharpening was the " Twice As Sharp". I bought it from All Brands, and it cost about $300.00. It does an excellent job on all types of shears. except hair shears. Since I sharpen knives at farmers markets this is a service I needed to include.....Bill

Scissor Sharpening with a Stock PP2? 8 months 3 weeks ago #12969

• cbwx34
  • WE Stonehenge?
  • Thank you received: 390
FredHermann wrote:
I had to use a q-tip as an angle shim to get the scissors to an angle the WEPS could handle.

I need a picture I guess... I stuck a Q-tip everywhere I could think... couldn't figure it out. :side:

Can you snap one or two?

Scissor Sharpening with a Stock PP2? 8 months 3 weeks ago #12976

• EamonMcGowan
  • Platinum Boarder
LeoBarr wrote:
Sounds good did you do them on the WE or just used the paddles from the WE?
I normally stop at 1200 grit on the EP although if I do hair shears I take them to 6000 grit tapes.

Leo, I used the paddles. Per the thread Curtis sent me to. I stopped at 600 grit. I really had no idea where to start and end? :unsure: So I went with the thread. I now have the other pair to do. I am very seriously considering going up to 1200 grit seeing as you have had good luck with it? :whistle:
The thing that holds me back is the blades are a little loose and can't be tightened anymore. :S I think what she is doing is locking the blades together the way she holds them? Then trims her hair. :ohmy: This is a little ol lady. I'm unsure of going higher that the blade will not gather her hair? What do you guys think? :)

Fred, I'm with Curtis, Q Tip?? I need a picture as well? :huh:
Thank you all,
Eamon

Scissor Sharpening with a Stock PP2? 8 months 3 weeks ago #12984

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
Assuming you can get the screw out could you find a nylon washer to put under the screw perhaps then you could torque it up more is it solely a machine screw or is there a nut on the other side .

I would normally start the scissors as high a grit as possible minimum 600 possible 1000 if the blades are in reasonable shape that is I would also include that with knives the steel is precious so the less we take off the better .

If they are to be used for hair I go to 6000 grit tape .
Remember sharpen to the angle that represents the largest span of the blade and the blades may well have different angles on them or one blade may have micro serrations if so leave that one alone just do the other blade.
Good luck with them.

I would suggest putting possible a small wooden wedge behind the blade so it is angled towards the paddle allowing for a higher sharpening angle I would use a wooden lollipop stick or something similar since they are easy to shave to the required shape then you could label it for use another time.
Last Edit: 8 months 3 weeks ago by LeoBarr.

Scissor Sharpening with a Stock PP2? 8 months 1 week ago #13150

• JedBowen
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
I would also like a pic of this Q-tip or wooden shim trick. I have fooled around with it with no success.
Thanks for all the info

Scissor Sharpening with a Stock PP2? 8 months 1 week ago #13152

• LeoBarr
  • Platinum Boarder
Since I do not yet have my WE this is theoretical but having drawn it it looks as if you would need wedges both sides of the blade.
It will depend on how wide the WE vice jaws go whether it is possible or not.
Here is a diagram of how I would try to do it - if it works great otherwise you will have to wait for Clay . The wedges could be made out of an eraser since it is easy to cut.
hffde3dd.jpg
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds