Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Sharpening issues

Re: Sharpening issues 1 year 6 months ago #5609

• KyleMazur
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I think things have gotten better. but if i continue to have issues I def will send pics and videos. thanks all!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Sharpening issues 1 year 6 months ago #5612

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 563
KyleMazur wrote:
I think things have gotten better. but if i continue to have issues I def will send pics and videos. thanks all!

Hey Kyle,

I just completed some interesting images after sharpening using my very well worn 600# diamond plates and some nearly new 600# diamond plates. These images were take at 2000x magnification under the microscope and may shed some more light on what's going on in your sharpening:

600-New.jpg

600-at-edge.jpg

The images above are of the blade after the newer 600# diamond plates (50 strokes)

600-Old_2012-10-01.jpg

The above image is of the blade after the well worn 600# diamond plates (50 strokes)

For fun, here is an image of the border between a super polished shoulder and the bevel where the newish 600# stones were used:

600-at-shoulder.jpg

The main concept here is that the scratches on the bevel (hopefully) extend all the way to the edge. If not, you have more work to do in getting the bevels fully established. Once the scratches reach the edge, they become micro-teeth and so, the bigger the scratches, the bigger the teeth at the edge. Teeth can have a lot of advantages but if you're measuring hair or paper cutting ability, then the teeth won't be very impressive. If you're after tomatoes though, you'll love 'em.
--Clay Allison

Re: Sharpening issues 1 year 6 months ago #5617

• KyleMazur
  • Junior Boarder
wow thanks so much!

Re: Sharpening issues 1 year 6 months ago #5629

• KyleMazur
  • Junior Boarder
I just wanted to thank everyone for their input. my results are getting so much better. now my next goal is to get that mirror polish. it looks like i need to get some accessories! any suggestions would be appreciated

Re: Sharpening issues 1 year 6 months ago #5641

• ApexGS
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 51
Since I'm on a budget, but still wanted to bridge the gap between the 1000 grit diamond stones and the strops from the Pro Pack, I hunted down some very fine grit auto body sandpaper. A few folks here have mentioned using it and getting good results, so I'm experimenting with what I have (just 600 wet/dry) and treating the sandpaper as a strop more or less. Surprisingly good results, hoping to get in the other grits (1000, 1200, 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000 in aluminum oxide paper) by the end of the week to try those out too.

From what I've read and my couple of experiments with the 600 paper, the main difference is sandpaper is more fragile and breaks down quickly, while usually giving a finer finish even in the same grit as diamond stones.

I can definitely recommend some more strops, probably down to 0.5 micron paste. That's where I'm heading with my first round of upgrades, particularly if the sandpaper experiments work out well. I think having a good progression of strops, including maybe a final finish set in kangaroo leather, would go a long way toward that mirror finish! Just remember that sometimes the most polished edge isn't the right one for the job :)
Your friendly neighborhood gunsmith!
- Tom

Re: Sharpening issues 1 year 6 months ago #5650

• StevenPinson
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Once you switch over to real waterstones you will not go back (IMHO).
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds