Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Sharpening issues

Sharpening issues 1 year 9 months ago #5584

• KyleMazur
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
So I've had my wicked edge almost a week, and I'm just not getting the results I thought I was going to. Prior to my wicked edge I was using Spyderco's Sharpmaker and getting really good results. It's probably my technique.

I've tried a few different things holding the paddles at the top, holding them at the top and holding the bottom out a little bit. But, I'm still having issues.

What sort of information do I need to provide to you all so you can help me troubleshoot? Most recently, I took my Kershaw Cryo and formed a burr each step of the way, 100 all the way up to 1000 and I had trouble cutting paper.

Previously with my Cryo I was lifting the paddles out at the bottom and i had no issues cutting paper but couldn't shave hair. So I'm not quite sure what my issue is. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Sharpening issues 1 year 9 months ago #5585

• TPeters
  • Fresh Boarder
Kyle Welcome!

I have only had my WE for a couple weeks so I am confident that more experienced sharpeners my be able to add to or correct my help.
KyleMazur wrote:

What sort of information do I need to provide to you all so you can help me troubleshoot? Most recently, I took my Kershaw Cryo and formed a burr each step of the way, 100 all the way up to 1000 and I had trouble cutting paper.

In my limited understanding the burr created with the 100 grit stone indicates that you have the bevel centered on the blade. Once this has been accomplished it is not necessary to create a burr with each stone.

When I am sharpening my knives I only create a burr with the 100 grit stone and only if I have to re-profile the blade (which I have done with every knife first pass through the WE). Then I use alternating strokes to sharpen the knife. Initially I counted strokes per side and was doing between 25 and 50. I had some questions about stroke count and the members here helped me understand that you could do it by sound and feel, still learning this part. I have good success with either method but the second method has help me to produce some very sharp edges.

Check out the Demos section of the WE website. Clay as several very good videos that should be able to help also.

Good luck but most of all have fun! :woohoo: I am off to find another knife to sharpen.

Re: Sharpening issues 1 year 9 months ago #5586

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 606
Hey Kyle, welcome! I think the main thing is probably time and that your stones haven't broken in yet. There are a lot of extra diamonds that need to come off with the first bunch of knives you sharpen. The more you use your stones, the better they'll get. For now, I'd focus on doing a lot more passes with the 600-1000 grit stones so that you're simultaneously breaking in your stones and refining your edge. Now would be a really good time to lighten up on your pressure while you're refining your technique. Specific hand position doesn't matter too much as long as it's consistent - you should hold the paddles the same way and apply pressure in the same way all the time. I tend to hold my paddles in the middle and let the heels of my hands light rest on them so the pressure is on the bottom of the paddles. I hope that's helpful and would love to hear how your progress goes.
KyleMazur wrote:
So I've had my wicked edge almost a week, and I'm just not getting the results I thought I was going to. Prior to my wicked edge I was using Spyderco's Sharpmaker and getting really good results. It's probably my technique.

I've tried a few different things holding the paddles at the top, holding them at the top and holding the bottom out a little bit. But, I'm still having issues.

Previously with my Cryo I was lifting the paddles out at the bottom and i had no issues cutting paper but couldn't shave hair. So I'm not quite sure what my issue is. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
--Clay Allison

Re: Sharpening issues 1 year 9 months ago #5588

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
If the above doesn't work, consider getting a loupe or handheld magnifier of some sort. For me, seeing what's going on often tells me what the problem is.

Re: Sharpening issues 1 year 9 months ago #5589

• KyleMazur
  • Junior Boarder
thank you both very much! i do have a loupe i need to use it more though. i'll keep you posted! off to practice!

Re: Sharpening issues 1 year 9 months ago #5590

• StevenPinson
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
If you have the ability to make a short video of your sharpening and set-up technique I am sure the forum will help out. A picture is worth a thousand words (at times).
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds