• Thank you received: 5
Yep, 18 degrees each side for 36 inclusive

Progression was

Diamond:

Sandpaper taped to the 1000 grit diamond stone:

Balsa Strops:

Cow Leather Strop
blank
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 10 degrees? 2 years 2 days ago #5549

• Staze
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
Awesome, exactly what I needed. Means I can pull off most of that (Pro Pack 1 with some 3m 1000/1500/2000/2500 sandpaper).

I would assume you use the sandpaper dry (since loading shouldn't be much of an issue with metal, as opposed to paint)?
-Systems Administrator
"You mean you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword and we'll try to kill each other like civilized people?"

WEPS Pro-Pack I
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rmorris7

Re: 10 degrees? 2 years 2 days ago #5551

• MathewWhaley
  • Junior Boarder
Ya I use it dry, the only thing I add water to are the diamond sprays on balsa. While the pastes stay slightly moist and don't really need maintenance, the sprays dry out and work better when slightly wet.

Just be careful while stropping that you lower your sharpening angle a degree or two and dont use too much pressure. You can get a blade to pass the HHT/whittle hair after 2500 sandpaper, but it's easy to go backward with bad stropping.
The following user(s) said Thank You: razoredgeknives, iamtwon

Re: 10 degrees? 2 years 1 day ago #5557

• mark76
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 411
MathewWhaley wrote:
Yep, 18 degrees each side for 36 inclusive

Sandpaper taped to the 1000 grit diamond stone:

I've read more often that people use sandpaper. Any idea how the 1000 grit sandpaper compares to the 1000 grit diamond stones?

Where I live I can get sandpaper up to 2500 grit. However, thats the (FEPA) P-scale, which is different from the ANSI scale that Wicked Edge use for their stones. You can compare the scales here.

Re: 10 degrees? 2 years 1 day ago #5561

• MathewWhaley
  • Junior Boarder
I don't have access to a microscope to give a real side-by-side comparison, but I can tell you that after the 1000 grit diamonds, the surface is still scratched and toothy, whereas after the 1000 grit 3M sandpaper, it starts to take on a mirror finish and lose its teeth. I don't know WHY this is, just that it happens.

To be honest though, unless I'm feeling particularly OCD on a given day, I skip the 1000 and 1500 sandpapers, and go from 1k diamond to 2k sandpaper. It doesn't get rid of every scratch, and it takes awhile longer, but it's such a pain cutting out little rectangles of sandpaper and taping them to the same stone three times for each knife.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mark76

Re: 10 degrees? 2 years 1 day ago #5566

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 649
I think the answer is the hardness of the diamonds vs the abrasives on the sandpaper along with the friability of the abrasives on the sandpaper. The diamonds don't give at all and cut deeper grooves. They also don't break down easily (though they do break down somewhat) and most likely the abrasives on your sandpaper do break down quite quickly into smaller particles.
MathewWhaley wrote:
I don't have access to a microscope to give a real side-by-side comparison, but I can tell you that after the 1000 grit diamonds, the surface is still scratched and toothy, whereas after the 1000 grit 3M sandpaper, it starts to take on a mirror finish and lose its teeth. I don't know WHY this is, just that it happens.

To be honest though, unless I'm feeling particularly OCD on a given day, I skip the 1000 and 1500 sandpapers, and go from 1k diamond to 2k sandpaper. It doesn't get rid of every scratch, and it takes awhile longer, but it's such a pain cutting out little rectangles of sandpaper and taping them to the same stone three times for each knife.
--Clay Allison
The following user(s) said Thank You: mark76
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds