Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: Straight Razor

Re: Straight Razor 1 year 11 months ago #5359

  • razoredgeknives
  • razoredgeknives's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 808
  • Thank you received: 381
  • Karma: 40
yeah, the new ball joint arms probably fix this... I was just having issues w/ the older joint. it is hard to explain w/out pics/video. I will try to do one or the other for you at some point soon (when i'm not so busy) so everyone can batter see what happens on the old ones.

clay, are the new ball joints limited in the range of motion at all when you rotate them forward? or is it not enough to cause any issues when you are doing straight razors? (i.e. clamping on the base of the spine).
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Straight Razor 1 year 11 months ago #5382

  • wickededge
  • wickededge's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1793
  • Thank you received: 648
  • Karma: 92
razoredgeknives wrote:
yeah, the new ball joint arms probably fix this... I was just having issues w/ the older joint. it is hard to explain w/out pics/video. I will try to do one or the other for you at some point soon (when i'm not so busy) so everyone can batter see what happens on the old ones.

clay, are the new ball joints limited in the range of motion at all when you rotate them forward? or is it not enough to cause any issues when you are doing straight razors? (i.e. clamping on the base of the spine).

Good question Josh. I'll try to bring a razor in this week and shoot a little video. I'm by no means an expert on straight razors, far from it, but I think you'll the way it works. On the other hand, the mod you've done already is awesome, don't know why you'd need anything different.
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: razoredgeknives

Re: Straight Razor 1 year 11 months ago #5467

  • PhillipHyun
  • PhillipHyun's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 19
  • Thank you received: 3
  • Karma: 6
Hi Clay,

Any progress on the straight blade video? I am very curious as I have a sheeps foot style blade that has a perfectly straight edge (Kevin Wilkins Parforce). I've been wondering how to sharpen this on the WEPS. Could you clarify what the "two Points" you were referring to on earlier responses on this thread? 2 points along the edge and the spine?

Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Straight Razor 1 year 11 months ago #5469

  • razoredgeknives
  • razoredgeknives's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 808
  • Thank you received: 381
  • Karma: 40
Finally got some pics of what I was talking about... (how rotating the arms forward will change the angle mid stroke). see below:





so, as you can see, anyone wanting to do straight razors will need the new upgraded arms =)
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by razoredgeknives.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Straight Razor 1 year 11 months ago #5507

  • davidmcm77
  • davidmcm77's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Senior Boarder
  • Country must be country wide.
  • Posts: 61
  • Thank you received: 14
  • Karma: 15
Thanks for the help everyone. Since I don't have the new arms I wound up just honing the razor freehand on the WE stones and strops. I started with the 600 diamonds and worked my way up to .5 micron CBN. I shaved a little but with it but didn't push it too much being that I don't have any skill is using a razor. But it did work really well I was pleased.
"Speak softly and carry a big stick"
-Roosevelt
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Straight Razor 1 year 11 months ago #5518

  • cbwx34
  • cbwx34's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 1260
  • Thank you received: 413
  • Karma: 92
razoredgeknives wrote:
Finally got some pics of what I was talking about... (how rotating the arms forward will change the angle mid stroke). see below:

so, as you can see, anyone wanting to do straight razors will need the new upgraded arms =)

That's what I was talking about in my other post... you can use the original arms on a razor, because the razor can control the angle since it has two points of contact with the stone.
davidmcm77 wrote:
Thanks for the help everyone. Since I don't have the new arms I wound up just honing the razor freehand on the WE stones and strops. I started with the 600 diamonds and worked my way up to .5 micron CBN. I shaved a little but with it but didn't push it too much being that I don't have any skill is using a razor. But it did work really well I was pleased.

Sounds like a good way also... Thanks for the update! :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds