Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: A question about VG-10 Steel

Re: A question about VG-10 Steel 1 year 11 months ago #5162

• FredHermann
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 41
Hey David, you're right. All this time I had thought they were vg-10. Well at least that mystery can be solved. I swear one of these days I'll actually read the d@#m directions. This also explains the fact they rust if you look at them crosseyed.
My apologies. Now to really look these up....
“On one otherwise normal Tuesday evening I had the chance to live the American dream. I was able to throw my incompetent jack*ss of a boss from a fourteenth-story window.”

Owen Pitt – Monster Hunter International
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: A question about VG-10 Steel 1 year 11 months ago #5253

• ApexGS
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 51
I actually just got my hands on my first VG-10 blade, by way of a customer here at the shop. Now that I have the WEPS kit I'm always getting customers and friends to find a solid carry knife that fits their needs, or just add another neat design to the collection :)

This SOG Toothlock is VG-10, and has a fun recurved shape that isn't quite drastic enough to require the curved ceramics (which I do not have... yet!) so I was able to retouch the unimpressive factory edge.

Haven't gotten to use it especially hard but I suspect the less acute angle compared to some of the other knives mentioned here will hold up far better for general utility cutting. Sharpened up well, at least!
Your friendly neighborhood gunsmith!
- Tom

Re: A question about VG-10 Steel 1 year 11 months ago #5254

• leomitch
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 207
VG 10 steel does sharpen up really nicely, but it does do better with less acute angles IMO because in my experience, it can chip and fracture slightly on very thin edges. I think it may vary with the VG10 and the heat treatment given. I give my Fred Perrin Street Beat blade an edge of 20 degrees per side in place of the 15 degrees I used to use and I found much less in the way of damaged edges.
My 2 cents worth.

Cheers
Leo
Never go anywhere without your knife!
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds