Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Slightly uneven bevels

Re: Slightly uneven bevels 2 years 1 week ago #4798

• Jet B
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Thanks for the input CB. I think the factory grind was pretty symmetrical when I got it. Its most likely the mounting factors that caused this. I could see something funny right away when the sharpy wasn't being removed the same on both sides even though the bevels looked equal before starting. I guess I should have stopped sooner and researched it. The knife is still sharp though and it's going to be a user so I'll just grind more metal off eventually and even them out. I might try hand convexing it, we will see. I ended up with a pretty fat bevel at the top since I sharpened it too far back from the sweet spot. I did it at B and A.5 is closer to the best even bevel spot.

Live and learn. I will likely have to get the improved arms, I'm just scared to spend the money on them until Clay has perfected the changes more. It seems like there have been constant improvements needed on them.

The last angle cube I bought was grossly innacurate compared to my iPhone so I returned it. I need to find a better one. Problem is, every time I spend money on my knife hobby my wife seems to think she gets to buy a new purse! Haha.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Slightly uneven bevels 2 years 1 week ago #4799

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
Cool. I just thought it was worth mentioning in this thread, especially when others start posting "mine are uneven too", that it may be a factor of the knife... not the sharpener.

Measuring angles with the cube will eliminate the "offset" error, if there is one.

Maybe you can get Clay to mark the box "Medical Supplies" or "Car Parts" or something, so the wife won't no what it's for. :)

Re: Slightly uneven bevels 2 years 2 days ago #5029

• Jet B
  • Junior Boarder
It has all worked out in the end. I convexed my Tuff by hand with some sandpaper and a cheap mousepad. ( I really like convex edges, they hold better for hard use).

Before I use my WEPS again to touch up my V edges, I will make sure I have an angle cube at least. Most likely I will pick up the new arms too once they have been tried and tested some more.

Re: Slightly uneven bevels 2 years 2 days ago #5030

• KenBuzbee
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 110
Jet B wrote:
Problem is, every time I spend money on my knife hobby my wife seems to think she gets to buy a new purse! Haha.

Problem? I do that on purpose to maintain harmony (in our case, it's jewelry, but the concept is the same) In fact, I do it proactively. Kind of a preemptive first strike;)

Ken
玉鋼

Re: Slightly uneven bevels 2 years 2 days ago #5032

• Jet B
  • Junior Boarder
Well... I am taking her to Mexico for 10 days on a holiday in October.

You just made me realize I should buy some knives and stuff while my brownie points are still active.

Re: Slightly uneven bevels 2 years 1 day ago #5045

• Allgonquin
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
If I want to match a factory bevel, be it reasonably symmetrical or not so much, I always "sharpie" the edges, set up the WEPS angles at a guess to match the edge, and then make a light pass or two with the 1000 grit stone to see how well it matches the edge. Then I adjust the angle to get the most coverage of the edges, i.e. the most ink removal on each side. The I go back and work the progression from coarse to fine.

Rgds,
Allgonquin

Objects in closer are mirror than they appear
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds