Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance

TOPIC: What should I be doing to clean my WEPS stones?

Re: What should I be doing to clean my WEPS stones? 1 year 11 months ago #6320

• Mikedoh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 125
Clay, you've been using your same diamond stones for years and many hundreds of knives, right? They still work just fine? See any need for H2SO4?

You may well have entered your stone cleaning routine in the WIKI already, if not, would you enter it under something like "Clay's preferred cleaning method"?

Are you unsatisfied with the performance of any of your stone cleaning methods?

Looking forward to your reply. Would rather leave strong chemicals out of my cleaning arsenal.

Thanks,
Mike
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: What should I be doing to clean my WEPS stones? 1 year 11 months ago #6321

• wickededge
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 649
Mikedoh wrote:
Clay, you've been using your same diamond stones for years and many hundreds of knives, right? They still work just fine? See any need for H2SO4?

You may well have entered your stone cleaning routine in the WIKI already, if not, would you enter it under something like "Clay's preferred cleaning method"?

Are you unsatisfied with the performance of any of your stone cleaning methods?

Looking forward to your reply. Would rather leave strong chemicals out of my cleaning arsenal.

Thanks,
Mike

Hey Mike,

Thank you for the suggestion. I have been using my stones for a long time and I haven't felt any need to use acidic cleaners on them. I'll try to write something up and post it to the Wiki and FAQ.
--Clay Allison
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikedoh

Re: What should I be doing to clean my WEPS stones? 1 year 11 months ago #6330

• FredHermann
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 41
Eww, avoid playing with acid.
Consider, even if you are being safe, they can give off caustic fumes that can mess up things in the same area. I once used hot vinegar for etching, left it in a cruddy old crock pot, and forgot about it for 2 days. This was out in a corner of my garage. All my tools on that side of the garage rusted. The mower rusted. Heck the door springs rusted. So...if you insist on using acid as a cleaner, you cannot spend too much time researching.

In an earlier post, someone mentioned using an old eraser. I tried it, and it worked pretty well. I used the old tan gum type, not the red rubber ones. I also have a large version of this made to clean belt sander belts. Cheap, safe, and cheap.

Just my .02
“On one otherwise normal Tuesday evening I had the chance to live the American dream. I was able to throw my incompetent jack*ss of a boss from a fourteenth-story window.”

Owen Pitt – Monster Hunter International

Re: What should I be doing to clean my WEPS stones? 1 year 11 months ago #6331

• Geocyclist
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 161
+1 I don't think any cleaning solution is require, or at most something mild. Stones don't get "dirty" the pores just get clogged up. Water and tooth brush/mild scrubbing pad is normally fine. Erasers also work.

My fear with anything too caustic is it would weaken the binder.

Re: What should I be doing to clean my WEPS stones? 1 year 11 months ago #6336

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
On the diamonds I have just used hot water and a stiff finger nail brush. They clean up quickly and completely.
On my cermic hones (non-WEPS) I just use whatever kind of kitchen cleanser I have around... make a bit of a paste with water, put it on, let it sit for a few minutes, then hit it with the same nail brush. They are not brand new looking when I get done, but plenty close. The biggest thing is that they seem to cut just fine when I am done.

Phil

Clay, I have had the edit tools go missing myself... Often I just toggle "compatibility mode" on/off in IE 9...and refresh the page to bring it back.

I have also spent half an hour or much more composing a reply...pressed the "submit" button...and had it all dissappear. It has happened so often, from several different machines, that I have taken to copying my reply and saving it to a Word document, before daring to hit submit...
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by PhilipPasteur.
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds