Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance

TOPIC: GREAT LUBRICANT FOR WES !

GREAT LUBRICANT FOR WES ! 1 year 2 months ago #12753

• ApexGS
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 51
Haha, we really got ourselves confused in here! Part of it is my fault for bringing up using light oil as a quick-clean on the stones. It's not necessary by a long shot and a proper cleaning with soapy water will certainly do a better job. I just use the oil and dab it clean when it's getting really loaded up and I don't have time to clean properly. I have to stress the importance of a light oil, because anything that will get gummy will just make it that much harder to clean later on.

I started doing that after seeing some of Clay's info on using soapy water to catch particles while sharpening. I think the first mention was on a youtube video on his channel, but it's come up here on the forums before, too. I like the idea of keeping the particles from getting all over my work area, but I honestly had not considered the slurry being detrimental to the finish. In my case I very rarely polish beyond 1000 grit, so it might not be a problem at all for me and my usage.

Additionally I try to keep Teflon (PTFE) based lubricants away from places they don't belong. Teflon got really big in the gun world many years ago, so everyone and everything had Teflon in it for a while... until people started to notice that it wasn't useful or was outright bad in some applications. Teflon doesn't like heat for example, so burning off oil with Teflon in it actually releases some nasty fumes! The oil I use for my impromptu cleaning is 100% vegetable based, just in case!

Man, all this talk reminds me to clean my stones good and proper :)
Your friendly neighborhood gunsmith!
- Tom
The administrator has disabled public write access.

GREAT LUBRICANT FOR WES ! 1 year 2 months ago #12765

• DARRELLALLEN
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35
ApexGS wrote:
I like the idea of keeping the particles from getting all over my work area, but I honestly had not considered the slurry being detrimental to the finish. In my case I very rarely polish beyond 1000 grit, so it might not be a problem at all for me and my usage.

Apex, I have been using Clay's soapy film tip ever since I found and I agree with you, it sure does help keep the metal dust / filings down ! :) After 1000 grit, I go to the Super Fine 1200/1600 ceramics, then the Micro Fine ceramics, then leather strop, and finish off with the Balsa strops with diamond paste..........I don't seem to be having trouble with the slurry as my blades polish up pretty good...but I also wipe my edge down first with a paper towel, then with a microfiber towel,between each and every grit up from the 100/200 paddles.....and once I get to the ceramics and strops, I also wipe with an alcohol pad just to make 100% certain I'm not cross contaminating my paddles.....seems to work great for me and what I'm trying to achieve. ;)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds