Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Need help with technique

Re: Need help with technique 1 year 4 months ago #9940

• BillWood
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Well fella's, I'm having a different problem with checking the hair whittling edge on my knifes. For the past 10 years I have been shaving my head and the wife is getting tired of me sneaking up behind her and snatching a couple of hairs from her head. :woohoo: I'll have to stop that for a while or my arm will be too sore to sharpen any knives. She said she would cut off a few but lets face it, it's just not as fun that way. :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: R.JeffreyCoates

Re: Need help with technique 1 year 4 months ago #9944

• EamonMcGowan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 192
Well I tried??? I thought I followed advise to a tee? The blade was sharp, but really no sharper then I have already done? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong? I used feather light 5k choseras 350 strokes? i'm going to grab anther knife and try again? I'll report latter.
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!

Re: Need help with technique 1 year 4 months ago #9949

• nicholas6225
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
BillWood wrote:
Well fella's, I'm having a different problem with checking the hair whittling edge on my knifes. For the past 10 years I have been shaving my head and the wife is getting tired of me sneaking up behind her and snatching a couple of hairs from her head. :woohoo: I'll have to stop that for a while or my arm will be too sore to sharpen any knives. She said she would cut off a few but lets face it, it's just not as fun that way. :)

lol, less painful way, just take the hairs off her hairbrush, I usually brush or comb my hair to acquire a hair, it's less painful that way

Re: Need help with technique 1 year 4 months ago #9956

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 412
EamonMcGowan wrote:
Well I tried??? I thought I followed advise to a tee? The blade was sharp, but really no sharper then I have already done? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong? I used feather light 5k choseras 350 strokes? i'm going to grab anther knife and try again? I'll report latter.

Trying another knife is a good idea, to see what you get.

There's a few of YT videos showing some technique doing this.... hair whittling with Wicked Edge. ModifiedZ has one that's almost an hour that's pretty detailed, smokeeater908 has a brief one that's worth watching too. (Both should be near the top of the search).

Nick has a good point in his post... you might try testing your blade as you go.

Re: Need help with technique 1 year 4 months ago #9971

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 598
nicholas6225 wrote:
lol, less painful way, just take the hairs off her hairbrush, I usually brush or comb my hair to acquire a hair, it's less painful that way

Brilliant! Solves a big problem for me :) I no longer have to prowl the halls at Wicked Edge for volunteers, I'll just grab my wife's and daughter's brushes!
--Clay Allison

Re: Need help with technique 1 year 4 months ago #9972

• Buford T Justice
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Little tip if you're having trouble whittling hair. I have found it's much easier to get a hair to split if you hold the hair by the tip (not the root). Hair is scaley and if you hold it by the tip, you are going against that grain and can get the whittling action started more easily.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wickededge, nicholas6225

Re: Need help with technique 1 year 4 months ago #9977

• R.JeffreyCoates
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
If I walked up behind my wife with a knife . . . . . . . she'd turn around and shoot me with her gun !

Re: Need help with technique 1 year 4 months ago #9984

• BillWood
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Oh, you got me wrong. I would never try to cut some of her hair, I just grab a couple and pluck them out. :woohoo:

Re: Need help with technique 1 year 4 months ago #9992

• EamonMcGowan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 192
There's a few of YT videos showing some technique doing this.... hair whittling with Wicked Edge. ModifiedZ has one that's almost an hour that's pretty detailed, smokeeater908 has a brief one that's worth watching too. (Both should be near the top of the search).

I watched ModifiedZ video and followed it exactly. Took about four hours to do my knife. It came out seriously sharp! But not hair whittling? I was however able to tree top a couple of arm hairs but even that was pretty sad?
I did notice at the end of ModifiedZ video he writes in he could not whittle hair till he used .5 paste.
Are you guys using the paste or am I just missing the boat?
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!

Re: Need help with technique 1 year 3 months ago #10534

• EatingPie
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
EamonMcGowan wrote:

I watched ModifiedZ video and followed it exactly. Took about four hours to do my knife. It came out seriously sharp! But not hair whittling? I was however able to tree top a couple of arm hairs but even that was pretty sad?
I did notice at the end of ModifiedZ video he writes in he could not whittle hair till he used .5 paste.
Are you guys using the paste or am I just missing the boat?
I guess I'm into old threads today... :)

I found that holding the paddles for a consistent angle was key. Since there's play between the paddles and the guide rods, you may not be hitting the bevel exactly the same with each pass (I measured a .4 to .5 degree variation). I used ModifiedZ recommendation: grasp the paddles so your index finger rests at the top and pushes toward the clamp, while rotating your wrist slightly to pull the bottom away from the clamp. This way you hit the bevel at the same angle every time. The first time I tried this, I produced a solid hair whittling edge.

-Pie
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds