Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Shapton vs. Chosera WEPS Stones - The Great Debate

Re: Shapton vs. Chosera WEPS Stones - The Great Debate 2 years 6 months ago #620

• drmatt357
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
dschur wrote:
jendeindustries wrote:
As it is though now with the non-drilled I have to really crank the thumbscrews to prevent movement which is why I like setting them once, and am a little hesitant to adjust mid stream.

Same here - I constantly check to see how tightly fastened those screws are. I check and double check! But really, if you're aware of it, you'll quickly become "trained" to tighten that screw well. :lol:

I hate to admit it, but I use a pair of pliers on the set screws. Nothing sucks worse than having a suspicion that they just shifted on you.

I used to have that problem until I blue Loctite'd the screws. Even if you loosen them, the residual Loctite keeps them from unscrewing after retightening.
Regards,
Dr. Matt
Last Edit: 2 years 6 months ago by drmatt357.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: leomitch

Re: Shapton vs. Chosera WEPS Stones - The Great Debate 2 years 6 months ago #626

• Salguod
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
Ok, I’ve been following this thread with interest. I’m still waiting for the fight to get dirty. ;) Come on now! This is a love fest so far! Which is really better, Chosera or Shapton? Or is it REALLY just Coke or Pepsi and it doesn’t matter? All I can gather is that the Choseras might be more refined (at a given grit) because of the additional slurry and the Shaptons are perhaps easier to use because they don’t need to soak. Any other differences of note?

Also, how are the Shaptons paired up on the other side of the WEPS blocks? For example, is the #1500 Shapton paired with the #1000 or the #2000?

Lastly, I don’t see the Shaptons on the WEPS site. Do we have pricing for the Shaptons yet? If not, do we have an idea that they will be about the same price as the Choseras, or will they be significantly more or less expensive? Are the Shaptons available now or do we have to wait?

Re: Shapton vs. Chosera WEPS Stones - The Great Debate 2 years 6 months ago #635

• jendeindustries
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 111
Great idea with the locktite, drmatt! :cheer:

Sal, right now the problem is that not enough people currently have either the Choseras or the Shaptons to weigh in. On other forums, you'll find that I am very much in favor of the Shaptons for the way I sharpen. However, there are others out there who feel every bit as much love for their Choseras. Which one is best? That's the eternal question... :)
Choseras might be more refined (at a given grit) because of the additional slurry and the Shaptons are perhaps easier to use because they don’t need to soak. Any other differences of note?

There is the grit factor - Shaptons go to 30K, and Choseras go to 10K. Feedback is another, lots of guys love the feedback of the Choseras, which varies more from stone to stone. Shaptons feel more consistent throughout, and have an overall harder feel to them. Both stone series are worthwhile investments, though. (IMO)
Also, how are the Shaptons paired up on the other side of the WEPS blocks? For example, is the #1500 Shapton paired with the #1000 or the #2000?

In the Shapton series, the 2K is complimented by the #320 and 1K Stones. The 5K works best with the 2K, but the 1500/5K is very versatile as well. The 1K Shapton is rated as a coarse/medium grit, and is a little more aggressive than other 1K stones. On a full sized stone, the 1K/5K jump is fine, but I generally don't recommend this jump for guided sharpening since the 5K takes a little longer to really clean up the 1K scratches - but it's not like the 1K/5K Shapton won't work, though.

Because of the diamond WEPS plates, a solid transition is the 1K/2K, then 5K/8K. A really solid 2-paddle solution would be a #220 or #320/1K and 2K/5K. The #220 is a little harder than the #320, and while it is a step back from the 600 WEPS diamond, they both leave a wonderful surface to work with.

For most knives, a 5K edge is already another universe, but if you intend to go to 8K or 15K, you really do need the 5K, and if you are going to 30K, you really do need the 15K.

I could continue all day with possible combos.... I hope this helped for now... :blink:
Tom Blodgett
Jende Industries, LLC

My Blog: jendeindustries.wordpress.com

Re: Shapton vs. Chosera WEPS Stones - The Great Debate 2 years 6 months ago #638

• davidmcm77
  • Senior Boarder
  • Country must be country wide.
  • Thank you received: 14
What if we were coming off of the ceramics? Our would it be best to come off the 800/1k WEPS Paddles? I am asking because I have a pro pack on the way and I am looking to possibly compliment it with the ceramics, or possibly some Choceras or Shaptons. I don't really have a knife that can take a 30k edge right now so I'm not at this time looking ast going that high in the spectrum.
"Speak softly and carry a big stick"
-Roosevelt

Re: Shapton vs. Chosera WEPS Stones - The Great Debate 2 years 6 months ago #642

• leomitch
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 205
drmatt357 wrote:
dschur wrote:
jendeindustries wrote:
As it is though now with the non-drilled I have to really crank the thumbscrews to prevent movement which is why I like setting them once, and am a little hesitant to adjust mid stream.

Same here - I constantly check to see how tightly fastened those screws are. I check and double check! But really, if you're aware of it, you'll quickly become "trained" to tighten that screw well. :lol:

I hate to admit it, but I use a pair of pliers on the set screws. Nothing sucks worse than having a suspicion that they just shifted on you.

I used to have that problem until I blue Loctite'd the screws. Even if you loosen them, the residual Loctite keeps them from unscrewing after retightening.

The Blue Loctite sounded great to me so I did a little digging and found there is a Purple Loctite that is meant specifically for holding set-screws and the like...and the screws are not frozen too tightly that you need tools to loosen them .
Has anyone else heard of this stuff. It is not as common as Blue Loctite.

Leo
Never go anywhere without your knife!
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell
The following user(s) said Thank You: Salguod

Re: Shapton vs. Chosera WEPS Stones - The Great Debate 2 years 6 months ago #643

• komitadjie
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
Yeah, we used it at my old job when we were assembling the instrument panels of ultralight aircraft, for places we couldn't use self-locking nuts. I also use it on adjustment screws in firearm trigger groups, things that I definitely do NOT want moving, but need to be able to adjust. You're looking for Loctite 222 or 222MS.
"Sometimes you have fun, sometimes the fun has you!" -- Sgt. Schlock
The following user(s) said Thank You: leomitch, Salguod
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds