Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How not to reach for your angle cube!

Re: How not to reach for your angle cube! 2 years 2 months ago #3421

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 639
This is a great thread. I've been doing some research too - it looks like gloves that meet the EN388 LEVEL 5 standard should probably work. I've just ordered a set and will do some rigorous testing on them when they come in.
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BobNash

Re: How not to reach for your angle cube! 2 years 2 months ago #3442

• JerryStephenson
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I've been sharpening knives for 40 years, razor sharp, with various stones and accessories and never cut myself appreciably. This morning I cut myself in almost the same place you did reaching around the knife to move the arm as I was about to take it out of the vice. Not nearly as deep but not good.

I think the problem is in the knife pointing away from you at the low angle to your eyesight makes it error likely to work around because of depth perception.

I sharpened 2 more knives today with the knife pointing toward me and I like that better. Don't anticipate any more cuts. Also makes it easier for me to work the tip.

--Jerry
Jerry Stephenson
I like to take long walks with just my putter, from the fairway.

Re: How not to reach for your angle cube! 2 years 2 months ago #3445

• DennisHibar
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
That's interesting. Please follow-up at some point. I'd like to know if you like your results long term. It would seem that doing it that way would limit the type of strokes you do with the paddles (would be tougher to do forward sweeping strokes) and if you did do those forward sweeping movements, debris would be more likely to get into the handle/pivot area of the knife (if a folding knife) unless well-covered. Anyway, stitches came out yesterday. Wound not completely sealed yet (that's a darn difficult area not to move around during daily activity!). Regardless, all is fine .... full range of motion with the thumb and no telltale signs of any nerve damage. And, as I said before .... I've learned my lesson .... for sure, this time!!

My knives (updated 8/21/2014)
Dennis in PA
The following user(s) said Thank You: BobNash

Re: How not to reach for your angle cube! 2 years 2 months ago #3446

• JerryStephenson
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I just do the sweeping stroke toward me. Not a problem once you get used to it. But I often work on the knife in two halves anyway working each end twoard the middle.
Jerry Stephenson
I like to take long walks with just my putter, from the fairway.

Re: How not to reach for your angle cube! 2 years 1 month ago #3536

• edhead35
  • Expert Boarder
  • Food, Guns, Knives, Music
  • Thank you received: 21
Ouch! I have a scar on my forearm a couple inches above my wrist, so people think I am a cutter LOL.

Just like reloading, make sure your kids and signifcant others leave you alone when sharpening. My wife walked in and said hey honey, I turned and a few minutes later I realized my pants were covered in blood. It was a cheapie 420ss Gerber, and it opened me up deep and I didnt even feel it. Hair splitting sharp.
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds