Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Stock stone/strop progression (Lots of Pics!!)

Re: Stock stone/strop progression 2 years 4 months ago #2389

• mark76
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 361
wickededge wrote:
I can't see your pictures

Oops! That was a caching problem. The pictures nicely showed up on my computer, but not on anyone else's. Solved it. And here is the picture I wanted to show in my previous post in this thread. It is the edge of a knife after the 1000 grit stones and 500 stropping strokes with 10 micron paste on balsa.

A next study step would be to go from the 1000 grit to plain leather w/ no compound to examine the burnishing effect. That way you could tell how much of what you're seeing is the abrasive and how much is the substrate.

My thoughts :D. Hopefully up tonight.
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by mark76.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Stock stone/strop progression 2 years 3 months ago #2407

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 308
wickededge wrote:
I can't see your pictures, but love the write up. A next study step would be to go from the 1000 grit to plain leather w/ no compound to examine the burnishing effect. That way you could tell how much of what you're seeing is the abrasive and how much is the substrate. My theory is that the burnishing effect of the leather is significant and is greatly improved by the added 'stiction' that the paste provides. Ideally, it would great to test an abrasive free paste on the leather. That sounds like a very fun experiment. I think the reason the diamonds are making such little scratches is two-fold - 1) The diamonds press equally into the leather as they do to the metal so you're not getting a full value scratch 2) The numbers of diamonds on the strop may be significantly less than those on the stones.

This is the exact reason why I am interested in the lapping film... it seems a lot of work (i.e. time) to get down to the sub micron level when you are truly erasing all the scratch pattern from the prior grit. It seems like the lapping film would work better because it would be grit on a hard backing.... although this is just a theory. =) I would love to see some edge results with them down the the .1m size like Ken has. You should compare those vs. leather, Clay, to see which is most efficient and effective =).

Re: Stock stone/strop progression 2 years 3 months ago #2409

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
Ok, so check it out... I got the photos of my straight razor edge uploaded and captioned properly (at the bottom of each photo). They were done w/ the Dino Lite (230x), sorry they're not super great quality. For the sake of saving space on this thread, I have put them into a slide-show format on picasa web albums for you to view... I have put photo numbers at the beginning of each caption in parentheses for your critique =)

My observations are as follows:

1. It is a perfect transition to go from the 1600 ceramics to the 5k/10k choseras. You then need to go to the 3.5m pasted strops in order to effectively remove the scratches from the 10k.

2. When you re-strop your paddles w/ a new leather, make sure you account for differences in thickness of leather... this threw me off quite considerably. I re-stropped my 5/3.5m paddles w/ leather that is almost 1/4" thick. This is a huge difference from the 1/16-1/8th" thick stock WE leather. So when I transitioned from my thicker leathered strops (3m) to the thinner WE leather strops (1m) I was getting all the scratches out but not realizing it since I was only hitting the very edge of the edge w/ the thinner strops (since it changed my angle.)

3. The .5m Hand American spray seems to create larger scratches than the 1m Hand american spray, and not as consistant (for some reason... I shook the bottle before I used it, its weird) - your thoughts on this please? I may be wrong...

Anyway, I got it to pass the HHT on the entire edge, although I was only a quarter inch from the edge when holding the hair. Haven't shaved w/ it yet, probably will tomorrow =). I only polished it down to .5 microns since I had spent all day on this project lol. Those choseras are sure sweet though!!! I'm loving them!

Re: Stock stone/strop progression 2 years 3 months ago #2414

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 610
Great looking series - it looks very much like the results I got on the other post about stone progressions, very similar especially in playing around between 3.5 microns and .5 microns.
--Clay Allison

Re: Stock stone/strop progression 2 years 3 months ago #2416

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
Clay, I updated the OP w/ page references for those that just want a quick run down.

Re: Stock stone/strop progression 2 years 3 months ago #2417

• razoredgeknives
  • Platinum Boarder
yeah they do look very similar! It just seems like, to me, the .5 is leaving much deeper scratches than any of the others. And it is almost a "dual" scratch pattern... really weird!
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds