Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Stock stone/strop progression (Lots of Pics!!)

Re: Stock stone/strop progression 2 years 4 months ago #2116

  • razoredgeknives
  • razoredgeknives's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 711
  • Thank you received: 308
  • Karma: 38
Ken,

Thank you so much for your input! I too really appreciate an owner of his business who gets involved in the furthering of his products... rock on Clay! And I also want to thank everyone else who has contributed (especially Tom)... all the info posted has been very helpful.

So Ken, where would one get this "kangaroo leather" for the WEPS paddles? And what about the nanocloth? I am very interested in looking into that... please post a website if Clay is good w/ it =) Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Stock stone/strop progression 2 years 4 months ago #2118

  • KenSchwartz
  • KenSchwartz's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 94
  • Thank you received: 29
  • Karma: 25
razoredgeknives wrote:
Ken,

Thank you so much for your input! I too really appreciate an owner of his business who gets involved in the furthering of his products... rock on Clay! And I also want to thank everyone else who has contributed (especially Tom)... all the info posted has been very helpful.

So Ken, where would one get this "kangaroo leather" for the WEPS paddles? And what about the nanocloth? I am very interested in looking into that... please post a website if Clay is good w/ it =) Thanks

For now, you can contact me directly - (ksskss at earthlink dot net). In time, if Clay likes it, you can get it from him directly.

---
Ken
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Stock stone/strop progression 2 years 4 months ago #2119

  • wickededge
  • wickededge's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1762
  • Thank you received: 610
  • Karma: 91
KenSchwartz wrote:
razoredgeknives wrote:
Ken,

Thank you so much for your input! I too really appreciate an owner of his business who gets involved in the furthering of his products... rock on Clay! And I also want to thank everyone else who has contributed (especially Tom)... all the info posted has been very helpful.

So Ken, where would one get this "kangaroo leather" for the WEPS paddles? And what about the nanocloth? I am very interested in looking into that... please post a website if Clay is good w/ it =) Thanks

For now, you can contact me directly - (ksskss at earthlink dot net). In time, if Clay likes it, you can get it from him directly.

---
Ken

You'd have to send me some samples :cheer:
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Stock stone/strop progression 2 years 4 months ago #2120

  • wickededge
  • wickededge's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1762
  • Thank you received: 610
  • Karma: 91
Nice input Ken, thanks for joining in! With this particular study, I wasn't really concerned with the edge, just the surface of the bevel so we could identify the effects of each strop. I need a higher magnification scope to see the effects below 1 micron, so I've got one on order. Hopefully that make a nice improvement in our visualization of what we're doing. For the next study, I want to eliminate more variables. I'd like to stick with the stock Wicked Edge line-up through the .5 micron top grain cow leather strops. From there, I think it would be very instructive to go to the nano-cloth with the finer abrasives. BTW, in the last progression, poor quality compounds were never a question, I only get mine from the best sources :)
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Stock stone/strop progression 2 years 4 months ago #2137

  • KenSchwartz
  • KenSchwartz's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 94
  • Thank you received: 29
  • Karma: 25
I'll send you some samples in the next box I send out to you - very soon :) Both nanocloth and Kangaroo.

I'll be pleased to watch the results you get.

It's a real treat to see you striving to push the limits of your device with your own product evaluations. Kudos to you!

And of course, my compliments to your good taste in compounds :)

---
Ken
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Stock stone/strop progression 2 years 4 months ago #2143

  • mark76
  • mark76's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1195
  • Thank you received: 361
  • Karma: 86
Ken,

Now you are on this forum and have posted already some very revealing insights, do you have any idea about the cause of the unexpected results reported on by Tom in the start of this thread? The diamond compounds (particularly the 14 micron) were much less abrasive than expected.
wickededge wrote:
mark76 wrote:
Very clear, Clay. Thanks!

I guess I'll do some experiments myself using the WEPS strops, that feel very smooth. They are clearly top grain leather. Are they cowh leather?

They are cow leather. I'd love to see your results once you get some experiments done.

I'll post the photographs. It won't be immediate, since I am going to France (no, not Thiers :) ) tomorrow.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Stock stone/strop progression 2 years 4 months ago #2146

  • wickededge
  • wickededge's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1762
  • Thank you received: 610
  • Karma: 91
mark76 wrote:
Ken,

Now you are on this forum and have posted already some very revealing insights, do you have any idea about the cause of the unexpected results reported on by Tom in the start of this thread? The diamond compounds (particularly the 14 micron) were much less abrasive than expected.
wickededge wrote:
mark76 wrote:
Very clear, Clay. Thanks!

I guess I'll do some experiments myself using the WEPS strops, that feel very smooth. They are clearly top grain leather. Are they cowh leather?

They are cow leather. I'd love to see your results once you get some experiments done.

I'll post the photographs. It won't be immediate, since I am going to France (no, not Thiers :) ) tomorrow.
Lucky you! Hope you have a great trip.
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Stock stone/strop progression 2 years 4 months ago #2148

  • leomitch
  • leomitch's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 719
  • Thank you received: 206
  • Karma: 92
Mark! Going to France and missing Thiers! Mon Dieu! Sacre bleu! Where will you go and will you be looking for another French knife? Have a wonderful trip my friend!

Cheers
Leo
Never go anywhere without your knife!
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Stock stone/strop progression 2 years 4 months ago #2156

  • PhilipPasteur
  • PhilipPasteur's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Posts: 944
  • Thank you received: 233
  • Karma: 66
wickededge wrote:
The stock progression is definitely next. For the microscope positioning, I leave the scope in the stand. Then I tape photo paper to the bottom of the stand to add some extra light via reflection. I trace the knife's outline on the paper so I can get it back in the same position every time.

Clay,
If you have time one day, I would love to see a photo of that setup. I am just having a bit of trouble visualizing it. I have tried to mark the blade with a sharpie, two lines, one on either side of where the scope should go. It is still pretty hard to get back to the identical positions as you have.

Phil
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Stock stone/strop progression 2 years 4 months ago #2162

  • wickededge
  • wickededge's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1762
  • Thank you received: 610
  • Karma: 91
PhilipPasteur wrote:
wickededge wrote:
The stock progression is definitely next. For the microscope positioning, I leave the scope in the stand. Then I tape photo paper to the bottom of the stand to add some extra light via reflection. I trace the knife's outline on the paper so I can get it back in the same position every time.

Clay,
If you have time one day, I would love to see a photo of that setup. I am just having a bit of trouble visualizing it. I have tried to mark the blade with a sharpie, two lines, one on either side of where the scope should go. It is still pretty hard to get back to the identical positions as you have.

Phil

Hey Phil,

I'll get a picture of it tomorrow at the office.
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds