Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Stropping Discussions

TOPIC: Thought on Hand Stropping with cheap compounds?

Re: Thought on Hand Stropping with cheap compounds? 2 years 9 months ago #733

• leomitch
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 206
Like any kind of stropping, aside from touching up the edge, it is also slowly convexing the edge. So eventually that bevel will change its shape to the convex shape we know and love. Nothing wrong with that! But if you want, it is but a few minutes work on the WEPS to get a nice sharp shoulder with the attendant bevel. Sweet!

Leo
Never go anywhere without your knife!
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Thought on Hand Stropping with cheap compounds? 2 years 9 months ago #735

• dgriff
  • Senior Boarder
  • My order # was 2375. Now shush, I'm sharpening!
  • Thank you received: 19
I read all of this good information and wonder; "Will I ever get my WEPS so I can try it too?". Well, will I?
Heh, I don't know either...
Currently, after I sharpen a blade with my existing system, I strop with 3M lapping film @ 3 micron on a firm mouse pad. It seems to do the job (with my little experience) and it's not very expensive.

Re: Thought on Hand Stropping with cheap compounds? 2 years 4 months ago #2128

• KenSchwartz
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29
leomitch wrote:
Like any kind of stropping, aside from touching up the edge, it is also slowly convexing the edge. So eventually that bevel will change its shape to the convex shape we know and love. Nothing wrong with that! But if you want, it is but a few minutes work on the WEPS to get a nice sharp shoulder with the attendant bevel. Sweet!

Leo

Well you could use the strop mounted on the paddle to freehand sharpen as well, but as LEO points out, stropping on the WEPS will give you greater precision and less rounding of the edge over time. Precision stropping is especially advantageous if you are using several levels of refinement (grits) stropping as opposed to just your final strop. Of course, the compounds you use for stropping on the WEPS can be applied to bench sized strops as well. And the cheap compounds could be used on the WEPS too (not that I would recommend that, but I'm biased :) )

---
Ken
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by KenSchwartz.

Re: Thought on Hand Stropping with cheap compounds? 2 years 4 months ago #2374

• BassLakeDan
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
KenSchwartz wrote:
leomitch wrote:

Leo

Well you could use the strop mounted on the paddle to freehand sharpen as well, but as LEO points out, stropping on the WEPS will give you greater precision and less rounding of the edge over time. Precision stropping is especially advantageous if you are using several levels of refinement (grits) stropping as opposed to just your final strop. Of course, the compounds you use for stropping on the WEPS can be applied to bench sized strops as well. And the cheap compounds could be used on the WEPS too (not that I would recommend that, but I'm biased :) )

---
Ken

I did not realize that this thread was here on the forum, as I am a newbie to posting, and have limited understanding of how all this works. So long story short mistakenly I posted my thoughts about the above topics at:
www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=c...mitstart=6&Itemid=63 but will expand them here a bit..

Mentioned in my other post was my preference for non-leather strops and the use of cheap easy to obtain spanish cedar wood strips for a non compliant base material to hold strop compounds. I feel there is a strong case to be made for the abandonment of leather as the stropping material of choice. Now that you have a nice edge on your steel via the WEPS system, why should you convex it with a leather strop? It is the form compliant nature of leather that is causing the convexing, not the compound. I have been stropping blades for many years, experimented with all sorts of compounds and strops, and can say that (for me anyway..) the evil-doer of a bad strop is ( in order of issue..) : 1.) a compliant base material 2.) bad hand technique 3.) and running a distant third (if at all) is the compound itself.

For what is worth, I feel that in the world of knife sharpening, once you get past the level of any compound that is capable of mirroring the metal to the naked eye then you at the limit of what you can reasonably achieve for the purpose of knife sharpening. Discussions of 0.25 micron high purity CBN sprays and the like, are to me (sorry not trying to offend anyone) are more or less of an exercise in nonsense and probably frustration. It takes very specialized, and very expensive equipment to apply such abrasives in a productive way. If you are a technician in a Class 5 clean room, with the right equipment, and the task at hand is flattening the base for a space satellite sensor then yes maybe we should be talking sub micron abrasives.

So I say, go ahead and use "cheap compounds" ... experiment, and have fun!

Re: Thought on Hand Stropping with cheap compounds? 2 years 4 months ago #2375

• leomitch
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 206
Interesting! Why is it I feel there will be a response to this in short order from Ken,Tom or Clay. I would be sincerely interested to hear why you think that sub-micron stropping beyond the point of mirror polishing to the naked eye, is an exercise in futility...or did I misinterpret what you said. Of course the proof is in the pudding as they say. Let's taste your pudding, so to speak.
I think others who have used those sub-micron diamond sprays feel they have indeed had visible/provable results. My own opinion is that I can't see that you are right, but I am a layman in this area so I await more information from those with more knowledge than I.
For me the answers to these questions bears on the very first question I ever asked regarding sharpening, " How sharp is sharp really? When do you reach a point beyond which you are wasting your time and energy? The answers I got on another famous Forum resulted in some interesting responses...in the Chinese proverb sense of the word 'interesting' . :woohoo:
Thanks for enlivening an otherwise boring evening for me! :cheer:

Best regards
Leo
Never go anywhere without your knife!
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by leomitch.

Re: Thought on Hand Stropping with cheap compounds? 2 years 4 months ago #2378

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 610
dgriff wrote:
I read all of this good information and wonder; "Will I ever get my WEPS so I can try it too?". Well, will I?
Heh, I don't know either...
Currently, after I sharpen a blade with my existing system, I strop with 3M lapping film @ 3 micron on a firm mouse pad. It seems to do the job (with my little experience) and it's not very expensive.

Very soon!
--Clay Allison
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds