Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Stropping Discussions

TOPIC: A theory of how the WE diamond pastes work

Re: A theory of how the WE diamond pastes work 2 years 4 months ago #2505

• BassLakeDan
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
well that chart did not take here on the forum board software, so let me try it again as a JPG..
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: A theory of how the WE diamond pastes work 2 years 4 months ago #2506

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 646
BassLakeDan wrote:
well that chart did not take here on the forum board software, so let me try it again as a JPG..

Thanks for jumping in and for your feedback and healthy skepticism. I took a photo last night of the CPM-154 blade after polishing with the .5 micron strops with a hair from my nephew's head for comparison:

withhumanhair.jpg

with-human-hair-zoom.jpg

You can just barely see the faint scratches on the surface and it seems possible to imagine fitting quite a lot of them into the width of that hair.
--Clay Allison

Re: A theory of how the WE diamond pastes work 2 years 4 months ago #2507

• wickededge
  • Administrator
Added a couple more with measurements, these are all 500x magnification:

withhumanhair3.jpg

with-human-hair-3-with-human-hair.jpg
--Clay Allison

Re: A theory of how the WE diamond pastes work 2 years 4 months ago #2508

• mark76
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 388
BassLakeDan wrote:
Well, the whole subject of sub-micron particle stropping has me baffled in more was than one.. I question if it is even possible. See the following chart for a reality check on what worlds of size we are talking about then ask yourself. "what exactly is it am doing or trying to accomplish by putting this size particle on a sample of cow hide and hand applying that to a knife edge".., Hummmm.

Thanks to www.standridgegranite.com/calibration.htm#19 Standridge Granite company for the chart .. There are very few people in the world that know more about "flat" than these folks/. It would be interesting if we could get one of their engineer to participate on this thread !

Hey Dan, thanks for the reality check! :cheer: Put our feet on firm ground again :). I'll think of that hair when I am staring through the microscope at a 1 micron scratch... (Or better yet, make a photograph of the hair after it has passed the hanging hair test ;).)

Re: A theory of how the WE diamond pastes work 2 years 4 months ago #2509

• wickededge
  • Administrator
Went back to the 1 micron shot with the most clearly defined scratches and added a .050mm scale. A micron is .001mm, so if we can fit 50 of those scratches into the space of that scale, we're looking good:

1micronwithscale.jpg
--Clay Allison

Re: A theory of how the WE diamond pastes work 2 years 4 months ago #2510

• mark76
  • Administrator
I thought I'd go for something completely different.

So yesterday I did some stropping with a stropping paste from Dovo, a German company that makes straight razors. It is probably the most used stropping paste where I live. (Yes, next to Germany.) I went for the "green paste", since it is the coarsest stropping compound they offer, which should leave most traces. It supposedly contains 5-8 micron chromium oxide.

I wanted to know whether it worked like the Wicked Edge pastes, with a lot of burnishing. And I wondered whether it would be more abrasive than the Wicked Edge pastes, leaving wider scratches. Perhaps of a 5-8 micron size or a little lower?

I can reveal already that the Dovo paste hardly (or not at all) burnishes. And for abrasion... well, read my blog :cheer:.

I am happy with my Wicked Edge pastes.

Re: A theory of how the WE diamond pastes work 2 years 4 months ago #2511

• mark76
  • Administrator
wickededge wrote:
I did another 100 strokes with the 1 micron strops after the spray had dried. The stiction returned and the surface smoothed out immediately. I believe that once the spray dried, burnishing resumed and abrasion was minimized.

That is an interesting observation! The diamonds in the paste were also very good at hiding. What is that paste doing?

Makes me think of that old joke of two diamonds in a jewellery shop when two rich ladies come in. The diamonds immediately hide in some stropping compound... :cheer:

I am still interested in why you thought the results of the tapes were not overwhelming, Clay. It was my impression they resulted in a pretty even scratch pattern (in your second series of photographs) resembling that made by a stone.

Re: A theory of how the WE diamond pastes work 2 years 4 months ago #2512

• wickededge
  • Administrator
mark76 wrote:
wickededge wrote:
I did another 100 strokes with the 1 micron strops after the spray had dried. The stiction returned and the surface smoothed out immediately. I believe that once the spray dried, burnishing resumed and abrasion was minimized.

That is an interesting observation! The diamonds in the paste were also very good at hiding. What is that paste doing?

Makes me think of that old joke of two diamonds in a jewellery shop when two rich ladies come in. The diamonds immediately hide in some stropping compound... :cheer:

I am still interested in why you thought the results of the tapes were not overwhelming, Clay. It was my impression they resulted in a pretty even scratch pattern (in your second series of photographs) resembling that made by a stone.

I think we were looking at it differently - you were looking for scratches and I was looking for smoothness! :) Now that I understand a little better, I'd agree that the edge does look good in terms of a nice, even and well distributed scratch pattern.
--Clay Allison

Re: A theory of how the WE diamond pastes work 2 years 4 months ago #2513

• wickededge
  • Administrator
Nice write up on your blog. Thanks for making that test.
--Clay Allison

Re: A theory of how the WE diamond pastes work 2 years 4 months ago #2543

• mark76
  • Administrator
Clay, some of the edges you've posted photographs of are among the smoothest I've ever seen. Have you ever done any cutting test with them? My thoughts are that they should be very good in push cutting, but I don't know exactly what this smoothing does to the edge of the edge?
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds