Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Knife Photos

TOPIC: WEPS Chosera Stone Progression

WEPS Chosera Stone Progression 3 years 1 month ago #14

• pza.zubkov
  • Fresh Boarder
I did a WEPS 100, 200, 400, 600 diamond stock stone progression followed by a a 800, 2K, 5K, and 10K WEPS Chosera stone progression and did a blog writeup with microscope pictures at each stage.

Here is the link.

Enjoy! B)
Tom Blodgett
Jende Industries, LLC
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: WEPS Chosera Stone Progression 3 years 1 month ago #35

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 648
Great looking progression Tom!
--Clay Allison

Re: WEPS Chosera Stone Progression 3 years 1 month ago #38

Read the blog it was very informational and helped a lot. I still need to get more in depth before I can hang with you big boys but it is fun and thanks for the new forum Clay.

Re: WEPS Chosera Stone Progression 3 years 1 month ago #39

• gofly
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I am still waiting on my WE but was wondering after reading this post what the difference is in finish between the stones Tom was using and the leather strops that I ordered with my kit
Thanks
Lucky
Lucky

Re: WEPS Chosera Stone Progression 3 years 1 month ago #40

• wickededge
  • Administrator
gofly wrote:
I am still waiting on my WE but was wondering after reading this post what the difference is in finish between the stones Tom was using and the leather strops that I ordered with my kit
Thanks
Lucky

Hey Lucky,
Thanks for the phone call earlier. Here is a page showing the difference in grit size between all the stones offered: Stones and Strops Comparison You can click on the images I've uploaded to see a much closer view. There is a striking difference in the finish with the strops as compared to the fine grit waterstones, even in the coarser strops like the 14/10 micron set. I'll be uploading more images as soon as I can.
--Clay Allison

Re: WEPS Chosera Stone Progression 3 years 3 weeks ago #89

• pazach7
  • Fresh Boarder
wickededge wrote:
gofly wrote:
Thanks
Lucky

Hey Lucky,
Thanks for the phone call earlier. Here is a page showing the difference in grit size between all the stones offered: Stones and Strops Comparison You can click on the images I've uploaded to see a much closer view. There is a striking difference in the finish with the strops as compared to the fine grit waterstones, even in the coarser strops like the 14/10 micron set. I'll be uploading more images as soon as I can.

Hey Clay,

Awesome forum! What a great idea. So in your experience are you getting a better mirror polish w/ the strops than water stones 5/3.5 micron vs 3K/5K Chosera. Is it reasonable to go from the 5K water stones to the 3.5 strops?
Last Edit: 3 years 3 weeks ago by pazach7.

Re: WEPS Chosera Stone Progression 3 years 3 weeks ago #92

• wickededge
  • Administrator
Hey Lucky,

The 3.5 strops are a great step after the 5k stones. Even though their a little bit coarser, the action of the leather is so different that it brings about a pretty radical transformation on the metal within a few strokes.
--Clay Allison

Re: WEPS Chosera Stone Progression 3 years 3 weeks ago #103

• leomitch
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 209
Clay, when you do the Fallknivens, why not do them on this site as well as on the Knife Forum's Keeping Sharp. Some people may only belong to this forum so it would be a convenience to them. Just a thought!
Later

Leo
Never go anywhere without your knife!
Gibbs rule number 9

Leo James Mitchell

Re: WEPS Chosera Stone Progression 3 years 3 weeks ago #104

• wickededge
  • Administrator
Leo,

I think I'll get to the knives starting today :) Thanks for the suggestion about posting here too. I'll definitely do that.

--Clay
--Clay Allison

Re: WEPS Chosera Stone Progression 3 years 3 weeks ago #106

• wickededge
  • Administrator
After a few days at other tasks, I'm finally able to start up the progression comparison again. The next knife to sharpen is a Fällknieven TK2. The knives come very well sharpened new with a nearly complete Scandinavian grind. There is a very fine micro-bevel so it's not a true Scandi, but it is very close. Below is a picture of my F1 that has not been sharpened yet, showing the tiny micro-bevel:

Zoom In - 230x

Leo's knife has been sharpened with a series of bevels or facets and is on the way to becoming convex. Here is a photo of the knife as it came in from Leo:

Zoom In - 230x

Next I'll get to work sharpening this knife. I'll use the Shapton stones for this one and the Choseras for the Fällknieven folder.
--Clay Allison
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds