Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: German Steels

German Steels 1 year 8 months ago #7806

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 639
I've been sharpening a lot of German kitchen blades and generally find that the mainstream products don't support an angle below 20 degrees well. What have others been finding?
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: German Steels 1 year 8 months ago #7813

• Mikedoh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 113
I have a Henckles 2guy pro S paring knife that is at 17.8, but haven't been using it a lot lately. I'll try to start using it more and see what happens.

Re: German Steels 1 year 8 months ago #7814

• wickededge
  • Administrator
I've taken some of mine down to 17, only to feel that I needed to add back a 20 degree micro-bevel.
--Clay Allison

Re: German Steels 1 year 8 months ago #7819

• TedS
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
I have some Messermeister knives (Meridian Elite - X50CrMoV15) that I have yet to sharpen with the WE. I just called Messermeister customer service (1-800-426-5134)who said they leave the factory with a 15 degree edge.

Also found out that they offer free lifetime sharpening for their knives.

Re: German Steels 1 year 8 months ago #7820

• wickededge
  • Administrator
X50CrMoV15 is probably the most common steel coming out of Germany right now. Ted, how have your knives held up so far since you got them?
--Clay Allison

Re: German Steels 1 year 8 months ago #7823

• TedS
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
wickededge wrote:
X50CrMoV15 is probably the most common steel coming out of Germany right now. Ted, how have your knives held up so far since you got them?
No experience with them yet because I bought them from a Craigslister after I recently bought the WE. :)

Re: German Steels 1 year 8 months ago #7824

• wickededge
  • Administrator
TedS wrote:
wickededge wrote:
No experience with them yet because I bought them from a Craigslister after I recently bought the WE. :)

I'll be interested to hear your experiences once you put them to use and also after you sharpen them. Will you sharpen them first or use them as is and wait to sharpen until they need it?
--Clay Allison

Re: German Steels 1 year 8 months ago #7839

• Geocyclist
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 154
I have had a set of Wusthof's for 1 year. The edge was so fine in the beginning that I had to steel very carefully as I could feel it move from side to side. A year later that affect is gone so I have lost some edge for sure. I have only steeled them and never sharpened them. We are not serious cooks so they don't get used every day by any means. But they are still sharp a year later, can shave paper with no problem.

I have been waiting to get the WE before sharpening them. Once I get all of junk knives sharpened I will work on these. I am also curious to see what the factory angle is.

Reading the specs on X50CrMoV15 I was not super impressed compared to CPM M4. But I am impressed a year later, they have held up very well. I have only cut food with them and never abused them in any way. So if you're cutting through bones your mileage may vary.

Re: German Steels 1 year 8 months ago #7843

• wickededge
  • Administrator
Part of my problem with my German knives is that my sharpness standard has become ridiculously high :) A few years ago, I was really impressed with how well they were holding up as well, could go months without a touch up. Now the bar is higher and when a blade loses that incredibly keen feel, I notice right away. Most people would think they're still smoking sharp, but it's just not the same anymore.
--Clay Allison

Re: German Steels 1 year 8 months ago #7845

• Geocyclist
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 154
I guess I don't cook enough? :cheer:
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds