Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the optional forum header for the Suggestion Box.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Grit on the Micro Fine Ceramic Stones Pack - Idea

Re: Grit on the Micro Fine Ceramic Stones Pack - Idea 1 year 4 months ago #10674

• johpe
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
Thanks for the info Jose.

I've been looking at completing my PP2 with the super fine (1200/1600) ceramics since I've felt that the jump from 1000 grit diamonds to the micro fine (1.4/0.6um) ceramics is to large, it takes a lot of work for me to get rid of the scratch marks of the 1000 grit diamonds with the micro fine stones (maybe also since my micro fine seems to not touch the whole edge as well, but that’s a different story).

But from reading a lot of different posts here before and now yours it seems that I would not really gain anything from getting the super fine ceramics since they are somewhere around the same as the micro fine coarse stone anyway. If the super fine ceramics really are in the perfect succession 100-200-400-600-800-1000-1200-1600 I would not hesitate for a second to get them cause I love the way you can progress through the diamond grits almost without effort.

I read in some 3rd party re-seller's webshop that they were selling a "new formula" super fine ceramic stone, but I don't know what that means or if it would put them more correctly in between the 1000 grit and the micro fine (or if it was just marketing).

//Johannes
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Grit on the Micro Fine Ceramic Stones Pack - Idea 1 year 4 months ago #10679

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
johpe wrote:
But from reading a lot of different posts here before and now yours it seems that I would not really gain anything from getting the super fine ceramics since they are somewhere around the same as the micro fine coarse stone anyway. If the super fine ceramics really are in the perfect succession 100-200-400-600-800-1000-1200-1600 I would not hesitate for a second to get them cause I love the way you can progress through the diamond grits almost without effort.

I read in some 3rd party re-seller's webshop that they were selling a "new formula" super fine ceramic stone, but I don't know what that means or if it would put them more correctly in between the 1000 grit and the micro fine (or if it was just marketing).
//Johannes

I'll offer a little different perspective on this. Even if you believe that the MicroFine-Coarse is more coarse than the 1200/1600 set, there's still a gap between the MicroFine-Coarse and MicroFine-Fine that the 1200/1600 fill. Of course, if you find the MicroFine-Coarse finer than the 1200/1600, then the progression still improves the results. Either way, the more "steps" you put into the progression, the better the results.

I'd be curious to see the "new formula" page you found (you can send me a PM if you don't want to post it here). Thanks!

Re: Grit on the Micro Fine Ceramic Stones Pack - Idea 1 year 4 months ago #10683

• johpe
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
cbwx34 wrote:
if you find the MicroFine-Coarse finer than the 1200/1600, then the progression still improves the results. Either way, the more "steps" you put into the progression, the better the results.!

You're probably right there, and in the end I'll probably end up getting the 1200/1600 stones as well (but I hope they fall in between 1000 grid and micro fine ceramics, because that the step that I'm having most problems with now).

Here is the web shop (in German) that mentions the super fine ceramic stones:
fehlschaerfe.de

My German is not what it used to be but one of the bullet points (Neue Version, veränderte Keramikmatrix) basically says: "New version, modified ceramic formula" or "New version, modified ceramic matrix" according to Google translate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cbwx34
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds