Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the optional forum header for the Suggestion Box.

TOPIC: Upgrade Dream List

Re: Upgrade Dream List 1 year 4 months ago #7440

  • xuzme720
  • xuzme720's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 119
  • Thank you received: 28
  • Karma: 12
razoredgeknives wrote:
So the "riser" doesn't actually raise the knife higher... Just the base of the rod arms, right? And how does this affect being able to use the stabilizing rod for fillet knives? I don't see how it would make a difference...
It raises the vice effectively lengthening the "pivot point to blade edge" distance, but in doing so it raises the knife higher above the base making the stabilizing rod too short, unless you take and rotate the tip of the knife downwards in the vice, which will possibly introduce some funky angle changes on your bevel.

Does that help or have I really confused you now?
Particpant in finding out how sharp is sharp!
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by xuzme720.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Upgrade Dream List 1 year 4 months ago #7443

  • razoredgeknives
  • razoredgeknives's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 534
  • Thank you received: 181
  • Karma: 36
xuzme720 wrote:
razoredgeknives wrote:
So the "riser" doesn't actually raise the knife higher... Just the base of the rod arms, right? And how does this affect being able to use the stabilizing rod for fillet knives? I don't see how it would make a difference...
It raises the vice effectively lengthening the "pivot point to blade edge" distance, but in doing so it raises the knife higher above the base making the stabilizing rod too short, unless you take and rotate the tip of the knife downwards in the vice, which will possibly introduce some funky angle changes on your bevel.

Does that help or have I really confused you now?

No that totally makes sense.... I looked at the picture again and had not seen the vise riser before. Has anyone tried using the new arms with the vise with no riser under it? If s , what is the minimal angle without the riser block?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Upgrade Dream List 1 year 4 months ago #7457

  • xuzme720
  • xuzme720's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 119
  • Thank you received: 28
  • Karma: 12
I'm not sure. I just got an email saying mine should be shipping by the 17th. I imagine it would be around what it is with the stock arms, but the the angle dimples are not going to be correct using the new arms without the riser. With an angle cube it should be doable...
Particpant in finding out how sharp is sharp!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Upgrade Dream List 1 year 4 months ago #7458

  • razoredgeknives
  • razoredgeknives's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 534
  • Thank you received: 181
  • Karma: 36
Ah sweet, so the easy cheapest fix to this is just getting an angle cube it sounds like :-) let us knowionce you get yours in!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Upgrade Dream List 1 year 4 months ago #7464

  • Billabong
  • Billabong's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Banned
  • Posts: 355
  • Thank you received: 49
  • Karma: 44
razoredgeknives wrote:
Ah sweet, so the easy cheapest fix to this is just getting an angle cube it sounds like :-) let us knowionce you get yours in!

Hi Josh, it's not so much that the angles may not be the same without the riser.
It's more to do with the length of the stroke with the stone using the the new arms and "no" riser.
You can see in the pics that the top part of the stone can't be used.



Compare the lengths.





It seems the riser was included to allow the ball joint addition.
See point "A" is roughly the same.

The new crossbar was added for a couple of reasons.
The first being a "belly" was found on the old crossbars and the tighter fitting new "L" bracket wouldn't fit.

The second was the ability to achieve more acute angles (13°) and therefore an angle dimple location revision.
While this thought was going around, a longer crossbar would also offer 35°.

I would like to try an even thicker riser and longer arms.
So the full length of the stone can be used.

When you say "cheapest fix", you are aware what comes with the ball bearing upgrade kit?

I am working on a solution to support/strengthen the hold on a flexible knife.

I see the ProPack II is still advertised as having the knife brace feature. ;)
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Billabong.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mark76

Re: Upgrade Dream List 1 year 4 months ago #7465

  • Billabong
  • Billabong's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Banned
  • Posts: 355
  • Thank you received: 49
  • Karma: 44
I see a quick look by Clay at a paddle you can attach a rod, back in 2011.



Wonder where this idea went?
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Billabong.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Upgrade Dream List 1 year 4 months ago #7468

  • wickededge
  • wickededge's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1713
  • Thank you received: 563
  • Karma: 90
I'm still working on that, it's actually very close to completion.
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Upgrade Dream List 1 year 4 months ago #7470

  • TedS
  • TedS's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Junior Boarder
  • Posts: 36
  • Thank you received: 14
  • Karma: 5
wickededge wrote:
I'm still working on that, it's actually very close to completion.

Is it also the solution for serrations?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Upgrade Dream List 1 year 4 months ago #7471

  • wickededge
  • wickededge's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 1713
  • Thank you received: 563
  • Karma: 90
TedS wrote:
wickededge wrote:
I'm still working on that, it's actually very close to completion.

Is it also the solution for serrations?

It is one of several.
--Clay Allison
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Upgrade Dream List 1 year 4 months ago #7472

  • Billabong
  • Billabong's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Banned
  • Posts: 355
  • Thank you received: 49
  • Karma: 44
So the "Coming Soon:" list on page 11. of the user guide are still in the works?
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds